What to do with capsicums....

Page 1 / 3
jaydan1, Nov 25, 1:34am
Hi there, we have been given a big bag of capsicums and chilli peppers and have no idea what to do with them. We have given some away but still lot's left. I don't want to freeze them as we already have a few in there, plus I don't like the way the go all soggy once defrosted. So does anyone have any recipes using capsicum? How would they go pickled? Thanks.

twindizzy, Nov 25, 1:36am
Roasted capsicum drizzled with olive oil

Stuffed capsicums- mince filling

Pickle them in thirds length wise

gilligee, Nov 25, 2:58am
Stir fry with onion.
Salads.

socram, Nov 25, 4:34am
I have no idea how to make it, but my dear step daughter bought some red capsicum sauce for me (from a farmers market at Coatesvill I believe) and I just love it. Mixed with a dollop of sour cream and sherry just makes great quick sauce for chicken or fish.

Had to despatch her for another large bottle...

charlieb2, Nov 25, 4:43am
Throw 'em out!!!!

jaydan1, Nov 25, 4:52am
I have about 3 unopened bottles of capsicum sauce in fridge, compliments of my partners Aunty who owns a tunel house, It is beautiful, though I have never tried it your way....will try this at our next bbq.

nzl99, Nov 25, 5:28am
Roast capsicum hummus... or dip...

You could roast and puree them ready for a recipe...

Or make a capsicum salad... big dice capsicums, cumcumber, tomatoes and feta... stirfry some diced chicken in cajiun spices and add to salad ingreds.

rainrain1, Nov 25, 5:37am
to die for

RED PEPPER SAUCE

16 to 20 red peppers
2 cups rice or cider vinegar
2 cups white wine vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 tsp salt

Remove seeds and roughly chop peppers.Put in a large heavy saucepan with vinegars.
Bring to boil.Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Process until smooth and return juice to washed saucepan, add sugar and stir over low heat until it is dissolved.
Gradually bring to the boil and simmer very gently for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly thickened.Ladle into sterilized jars……

winnie231, Nov 25, 7:37am
This is a tried and true recipe that I'll be making again this year ...

Pretty Pepper Relish

1kg mixed peppers
2lrg onions
2 apples - peeled, cored & grated
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
3C vinegar (I used cider & white)
2C white sugar
1tsp salt
2tsp brown mustard seeds
1Tblspn black peppercorns (tied in a muslin bag)
4Tblspn thai sweet chilli sauce

Chop peppers & onions into matchstick size pieces and place in preserving pan. Add the rest. Bing to the boil then simmer till thick & pulpy (90min approx). Discard peppercorns. Pack into hot jars & leave atleast a month before using.

jaydan1, Nov 25, 8:36am
YUM!!!, does it matter about colour? we have mostly red,yellow and orange...no green. Lot's of chilli's to.

jag5, Nov 25, 8:48am
I pickled mine last year.Sadly not enough, and I am still in withdrawal.Absolutely scrumptious, and using all the colours, they look gorgeous in the jars.Oh...salivating now.

lythande1, Nov 25, 6:27pm
Frozen ones are OK for soups, stews and stuff.

2bakerz, Nov 25, 7:56pm
I make that pepper relish each year - I have only done it with red peppers and it is superb, especially with a bit of cream cheese on a cracker!

elliehen, Nov 25, 8:25pm
Eat the juicy ripe red capsicums like apples :)

samsara11, Nov 25, 8:50pm
Slice them through retaining stem.Deseed and then fill with peeled quartered tomatoes (round side up), add little garlic, basil and anchovies and top with good quality olive oil.Bake until cooked - nice hot or cold.Anchovies can be omitted but you will need to add salt.These are lovely

buzzy110, Nov 25, 9:44pm
jag, I'd be forever beholden to you if you could provide some sort of recipe for pickling. I do several types of pickling and am unsure which method you would use for capsicum and peppers.

fisher, Nov 25, 10:43pm
I freeze my extra ones each year.. I cut them into quarters after cleaning and lay out on a tray and freeze.. label a large bag and back into freezer.. can remove how ever much you like for soups,stews and even salads .. Just cut to size needed...Far better than capsicum that has been frozen whole and gone mushy and watery..

winnie231, Nov 26, 1:59am
jaydan - the recipe I posted works with any coloured peppers.
I have a friend in Golden Bay who grows them commercially and regularly gave me the 'odd' shaped ones, 2nds, etc so each batch had different colours in it. The flavour was great regardless and would be yum with finely sliced chilli's in it also.

fisher, Nov 26, 4:17am
Sounds great.. like the idea of sweet and sour tastes.. then the spices to liven it all up.. Keeping that one thanks...:}

fisher, Nov 26, 4:19am
rainrain...
made that last year and wifey loved it.. (thanks) .. I used it with a "few other things" as a marinade base as well...

jag5, Nov 26, 7:48am
buzzy.....will hunt it out tomorrow.Unfortunately it hasn't made it onto my computer yet.But you won't regret doing them I assure you.Served with cold meat, chopped up in salads, just eat them out of the jar....oh can't wait for mine to grow. LOL

buzzy110, Nov 26, 7:52am
Awaiting recipe with bated breath. I will treat your recipe with all the reverence it obviously deserves and when I make some I'll be sure to let you know how it comes out.

jag5, Nov 26, 8:06pm
Here it is....

PICKLED PEPPERS
Either cut into strips and serve as an hors d’oeuvre, add to salads or sandwiches add to filled rolls or use as a garnish.Possibly the best use is by themselves as a garnish.

1 cup white vinegar
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 dessertspoon salt
1 teaspoon pickling spice (minus cloves and only 1 chilli – I leave more)
Boil the above for at least 5 minutes.In the meantime prepare 14 very ripe red, yellow, orange (green go grey) sweet peppers.Wash, core, remove seeds and slice into four lengthwise.Add peppers to the syrup and simmer for ½ minute (want them still crunchy).Pack into sterilised jars.Add a piece of cinnamon stick to each jar and cover to overflowing with syrup (pack in tightly as they do shrink).Seal.They are ready to use in about 3 weeks.(If you can wait that long)

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do

jag5, Nov 26, 9:18pm
bumping for buzzy110.....

jag5, Nov 27, 12:36am
and again......