What to do with capsicums....

Page 2 / 3
buzzy110, Nov 27, 2:30am
Thank you so much jag. The recipe is now saved in a special folder all of its own and when I have lots of capsicum and peppers I will knock up a few jars of this.

fisher, Nov 27, 4:00am
Capsicum Sauce
Ingredients:
5 "red" capsicums, halved, membrane and seeds removed.. 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped..1 cup white wine vinegar..2 tbsp lemon juice..3 cups sugar.. 50g jam setting mix
Method:
Roast halved caps in a hot (200 deg) oven, cut side down on a foil lined oven tray for approx 40 mins. If the edges start to blacken, cover loosely with foil. Place into plastic bag to sweat for 10 mins, so you can remove skins. Trim off any burnt edges. Place skinned caps in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Add chilli, vinegar, lemon, 1 tsp salt, and blend again for 30 secs. Put in a large pan with sugar and stir over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved.
Bring to the boil and add the jam setting mix. Continue to boil, stirring often. 5 mins, but up to half an hour so it gets nice and rich.
The natural sugars in the caps must caramelise.Pour into clean sterilized jars and refrigerate.

socram, Nov 27, 5:57am
It may be pretty basic, but just remember that green capsicums are unripe red peppers so are not as sweet!

A good friend is a commercial grower and is somewhat bemused by the demand for green capsicums!

Made the red pepper sauce with sour cream tonight but added sweet red chilli sauce instead of sherry, some basil and a little coriander - had it with fresh pan fried monkfish.

Thanks fisher for that recipe.

rainrain1, Nov 27, 6:02am
That's good to know....and that beautiful fabulous colour

kiwibubbles, Nov 27, 9:13am
ANnabel Langbein had a really nice recipe for a sauce using capsium - it looked divine - but can't think of the name. Nigella also has a very delicious looking jam made from capsicum and chillis

bigcoly, Nov 27, 10:25pm
Here's one that's very popular with all that try...
Pepper Relish

6 peppers (any colour - I like red)3 large onions
1 C white vinegar3/4 C sugar
2 tsp plain salt2 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed1 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp cornflour6 C boiling water

Mince seeded peppers & onions finely into a med bowl. Pour over boiling water & leave to stand for 5 mins.
Then tip into a large sieve & leave to drain leave. Bring remaining ingredients except cornflour to the boil, then add the peppers & onions & cook for 15mins. Mix the cornflour into a little water & thicken the mi. Bottle & seal.
Leave for a few days before trying. Lovely on crackers with cheese.

bigcoly, Nov 27, 10:28pm
This ones a nice sauce that great to add to any cooking...

1 kg red peppers
6 C white sugar
6 C white vinegar

boil vinegar & sugar. Seed pepper in food proccessor. Cook 25 mins on rolling boil. Bottle.

buzzy110, Nov 27, 11:26pm
6 C white sugar? Are you sure about that?

buzzy110, Nov 27, 11:28pm
Oh I agree. I never ever use green capsicum and always pick it out when I am served it if I can. Eating green capsicum, especially raw, is akin to eating a green apple - definitely not good for the digestive system. However, 99% of the population likes green capsicum so what can you do?

fisher, Nov 28, 11:57am
Acquired taste sometimes buzzy... Sure my favourite is red .. salads and roasted etc but the green ones are great in some dishes because of their "bitterness".. I used to eat them like apples straight off the vines from a grower who sold them for 10 cents each... ate more than i bought hehehehe .. oh the days...:}

bigcoly, Nov 28, 7:41pm
Yeap this was the recipe given to me as well as a couple of jars. Its makes a really thick sauce & is so yummy with cream cheese & crackers. I put it in stirfries, casseroles, minces as well.

jaydan1, Nov 25, 1:34am
Hi there, we have been given a big bag of capsicums and chilli peppers and have no idea what to do with them. We have given some away but still lot's left. I don't want to freeze them as we already have a few in there, plus I don't like the way the go all soggy once defrosted. So does anyone have any recipes using capsicum! How would they go pickled! Thanks.

socram, Nov 25, 4:34am
I have no idea how to make it, but my dear step daughter bought some red capsicum sauce for me (from a farmers market at Coatesvill I believe) and I just love it. Mixed with a dollop of sour cream and sherry just makes great quick sauce for chicken or fish.

Had to despatch her for another large bottle.

charlieb2, Nov 25, 4:43am
Throw 'em out!

jaydan1, Nov 25, 4:52am
I have about 3 unopened bottles of capsicum sauce in fridge, compliments of my partners Aunty who owns a tunel house, It is beautiful, though I have never tried it your way.will try this at our next bbq.

nzl99, Nov 25, 5:28am
Roast capsicum hummus. or dip.

You could roast and puree them ready for a recipe.

Or make a capsicum salad. big dice capsicums, cumcumber, tomatoes and feta. stirfry some diced chicken in cajiun spices and add to salad ingreds.

winnie231, Nov 25, 7:37am
This is a tried and true recipe that I'll be making again this year .

Pretty Pepper Relish

1kg mixed peppers
2lrg onions
2 apples - peeled, cored & grated
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
3C vinegar (I used cider & white)
2C white sugar
1tsp salt
2tsp brown mustard seeds
1Tblspn black peppercorns (tied in a muslin bag)
4Tblspn thai sweet chilli sauce

Chop peppers & onions into matchstick size pieces and place in preserving pan. Add the rest. Bing to the boil then simmer till thick & pulpy (90min approx). Discard peppercorns. Pack into hot jars & leave atleast a month before using.

jaydan1, Nov 25, 8:36am
YUM!, does it matter about colour! we have mostly red,yellow and orange.no green. Lot's of chilli's to.

jag5, Nov 25, 8:48am
I pickled mine last year.Sadly not enough, and I am still in withdrawal.Absolutely scrumptious, and using all the colours, they look gorgeous in the jars.Oh.salivating now.

buzzy110, Nov 25, 9:44pm
jag, I'd be forever beholden to you if you could provide some sort of recipe for pickling. I do several types of pickling and am unsure which method you would use for capsicum and peppers.

fisher, Nov 25, 10:43pm
I freeze my extra ones each year. I cut them into quarters after cleaning and lay out on a tray and freeze. label a large bag and back into freezer. can remove how ever much you like for soups,stews and even salads . Just cut to size needed.Far better than capsicum that has been frozen whole and gone mushy and watery.

winnie231, Nov 26, 1:59am
jaydan - the recipe I posted works with any coloured peppers.
I have a friend in Golden Bay who grows them commercially and regularly gave me the 'odd' shaped ones, 2nds, etc so each batch had different colours in it. The flavour was great regardless and would be yum with finely sliced chilli's in it also.

fisher, Nov 26, 4:17am
Sounds great. like the idea of sweet and sour tastes. then the spices to liven it all up. Keeping that one thanks.:}

fisher, Nov 26, 4:19am
rainrain.
made that last year and wifey loved it. (thanks) . I used it with a "few other things" as a marinade base as well.

jag5, Nov 26, 7:48am
buzzy.will hunt it out tomorrow.Unfortunately it hasn't made it onto my computer yet.But you won't regret doing them I assure you.Served with cold meat, chopped up in salads, just eat them out of the jar.oh can't wait for mine to grow. LOL