Biscuit recipe that can be rolled & cut into shape

lmk, Oct 27, 9:27pm
Wanting a biscuit mix recipe that can be rolled and cut into shapes. Making some ghost and bat bikkies for the kids for Halloween but can't find a good mix which would be suitable! would be great if it didn't have too much butter (with the price of it now days!) Any help would be much appreciated :)

margyr, Oct 27, 9:29pm
hi this is from another thread; gingerbread

This recipe makes great crunchy gingerbread men. You could also use this recipe to make gingerbread hearts for Valentine's Day, gingerbread four leaf clovers (with green icing) for St Patrick's Day, or gingerbread butterflies for a girl's birthday party. Make a small hole at the top of the gingerbread men using a skewer before baking and you'll be able to thread ribbon and hang from your Christmas tree. Decorating the gingerbread at the end is super fun for kids and will keep them amused for a good hour or two on a rainy day.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes

Ingredients:
125g (4 ozs.) Butter
2 1/2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
2 teaspoons ground Ginger
1 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1/2 cup Sugar
2 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Egg Yolk

Directions:
1. Melt butter, sugar, and golden syrup in a pot over low to medium heat. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.

2. Beat in egg yolk and sift in dry ingredients.

3. Knead and roll out to 1/2cm thick. Use cookie cutter to cut out shapes.

4. Place shapes on baking tray on top of baking paper.

5. Bake at 180 degrees C for about 8 minutes. They are done when the edges are golden brown.

6. Remove from oven and allow to cool on rack before decorating.

To make it really fun for the kids, create several different coloured icings and have a variety of sprinkles, sugar balls and mini M&M's on hand. Use the icing to stick the decorations to the gingerbread.

ICING RECIPE
175g (6 ozs.) Icing Sugar
1 tablespoon Boiling Water
1 tablespoon Butter

Combine water and butter and stir in icing sugar. Divide mixture and add a drop or two of food colouring.
You can make icing bag by placing some of the icing in a small plastic bag (such as a plastic sandwich bag) and cutting a very small hole in one of the bottom corners.
Quote theanimal1 (74 )12:20 am, Fri 9 Jul #2

lmk, Oct 27, 9:35pm
Thanks margyr :) thats a nice easy recipe with not too many ingredients. If I don't come across a plain mix I might give this 1 a try. My kids quite like ginger so would make a nice change.

245sam, Oct 27, 9:39pm
x1
VANILLA SUGAR COOKIES FOR DECORATING - as made by Laurel Watson on “Good Morning”.
185g butter
1 cup caster sugar
1½ tsp vanilla essence
2½ cups plain flour
1 egg

Place butter and sugar in the food processor and whiz until combined.Add the egg and vanilla essence and whiz again to mix, add the flour and pulse until the dough comes together in a ball.Knead the dough lightly then press into a dish, wrap in plastic film and chill for at least 30 minutes.Roll out on a floured workbench to about ½ cm, cut out with a cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (the dough can be re-rolled once).Put the shapes on a baking sheet lined with non stick baking paper.
Bake at180°Cfor10-12 minutes until just golden, cool on a rack and then decorate.
Variations:
•chocolate cookies substitute ¼ cup cocoa powder for ¼ cup flour.
•Stained Glass Biscuits:-Simply cut out a shape from a larger-size biscuit and drop a Heard’s fruit lolly into the hole, bake as per usual and let cool on the baking paper.:-))

lmk, Oct 27, 9:44pm
Thanks 245sam :) another great recipe. Might have to make a mixture of flavours. I knew this was the place to come for help!

cookessentials, Oct 27, 9:47pm
These are the ones I use. They are called refrigerator biscuits and you can pre-make the dough, roll it and wrap in clingfilm or greaseproof paper and slice and cook when you are ready.

This is a recipe of Margaret Fulton and I have been using it for many years.

Refrigerator Biscuits-Makes 6 dozen! ! This dough can me stored, wrapped in freezer for months. Also can be stored for up to two weeks in fridge.

185g butter, 1cup firmly packed brown sugar, 1 egg,1 tsp vanilla, 2 1/4 cups flour,1/2 tsp salt,1/2 tsp baking powder. Cream butter & sugar, add egg and vanilla, beat well. Sift fliour, salt & b. p. Stir into creamed mix. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil, freeze until needed.
Slice thinly Put on a baking tray and bake in pre heated mod oven for 7-10 mins. Can be decorated with cherries or almonds or brushed with egg white and sprinkled with sugar before baking. . Makes 6 dozen.

lmk, Jun 26, 4:10pm
WOW thanks cookessentials :) that makes a huge amount of bikkies (will be in the kids good books!) lots of fantastic ideas here. Won't know which to choose! Off to put dinner in the crockpot will check in later.