Loquat Jam recipe please

samsnan, Nov 26, 2:08am
Had some lovely large loquats given to me today but dont seem to have a recipe in any of my books. Yes I have done the search on the left here and nothing comes up. TIA

davidt4, Nov 26, 3:24am
I have never made loquat jam, but I would think that you could treat them like fresh apricots, as the texture and sweetness/acidity balance is about the same.

samsnan, Nov 26, 3:42am
Thanks for that david. I thought it may be similar to apricot. I had not tried them before today. The skin is similar to an apricot so I dont think I need to peel them at all. Will let you know how it turns out.

davidt4, Nov 26, 3:48am
I had a little search and here's a link to a NZ blog with a recipe:

http://thekiwilocavore.blogspot.com/2009/10/loquat-jam.html

barbs77, Nov 26, 3:53am

indy95, Nov 26, 4:44am
This recipe comes from NZG Homegrown 1.

Wash 1 kilo of loquats, cut in half and remove the large seeds. Simmer with a little water until tender. Add 750g sugar, stir until dissolved then boil rapidly until setting point is reached. Although the recipe doesn't mention it I always add lemon juice. This jam has a lovely slightly unusual flavour and is well worth making.

dezzie, Nov 26, 5:00am
my loquats are not ready yet, but they are small with 3 seeds in, can I jelly them?

indy95, Nov 26, 5:34am
When they are ready you can certainly use them to make jelly. Do you need a recipe ?

samsnan, Nov 26, 5:47am
Thanks for that indy. I have about 2 or 3kgs so should make a good lot of jam. Some of them are the size of a golf ball.

indy95, Nov 26, 6:06am
Lucky you, samsnan. I love the flavour of loquats and want to find a supply of them.

jag5, Nov 26, 6:29am
I have always made jelly with mine, rather than jam.It comes out a gorgeous golden colour, and looks so lovely in jars.I miss my tree. I have small one now, about 1m high.Will be quite a few years yet.Enjoy (BTW, one lot I made, I added some passionfruit pulp.Very nice indeed.

dezzie, Nov 26, 6:37am
ohh jag, that does sound nice, lol I'll have to wait now until they are ready.
I would like a recipe thanks Indy if you have one handy.

indy95, Nov 26, 7:27pm
Sorry, I meant to come back to post this last night but was distracted and it didn't happen. This is an old recipe and I think it may originally have come from an Aunt Daisy book:-

Loquat Jelly

Cut up loquats and remove most of the seeds, then cover with water, bring to boil and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Strain and measure the juice. Allow cup for cup of sugar, reheat the juice and boil for 10 mins, then add the sugar and a pinch of citric acid ( lemon juice will be fine ) and boil until setting point is reached. Skim well and pour into sterilised jars. As another poster mentioned passionfruit pulp would be a nice addition. One and a half to two hours simmering sounds like a very long time to me but it would depend on the ripeness and size of the loquats.

samsnan, Nov 27, 2:36am
Indy I have just finished boiling them all up and will now strain it overnight ready to make the jelly tomorrow afternoon. Will report back here after I have made it.

korbo, Nov 27, 4:09am
anyone in napier/hastings got any loquats to spare. havent tasted them for many years. love them. dont see them for sale in shops.

jag5, Nov 27, 5:03am
Never see them in shops.They are not a keeper, very perishable like figs.Shame really, daughter has a tree at their rental property, I am hopeing it will produce.

samsnan, Nov 29, 3:34am
Well I made my Loquat jelly this morning and got 8 jam jars from it. Yes it is a lovely goldy colour and tastes lovely. It tastes a bit like quince jelly. Thanks again I cant wait to have some on my Vogels toast in the morning.

indy95, Nov 29, 5:15am
Glad to hear the jelly turned out well, samsnan. Now all I have to do is track down some loquats.

darlingmole, Nov 29, 8:49am
I had to massive loquat trees a few years ago and never tasted them.Now I've moved and tasted them I'm hacked off I never used the fruit!But have a tree almost 1 & 1/2 metres high and wondering when it'll fruit ....

indy95, Jun 1, 7:45pm
Bumped for aries62.