Egg Salad

chasing, Oct 14, 1:27am
Does anyone have a nice egg salad recipe.My husband is on a high protein low carb diet.He likes the egg salad you buy from the supermarket but I don't think he should be having it to offen as the dressing would have to much fat in it.
I would also like a nice bean salad recipe.

binj, Oct 14, 8:18pm
I jst boil my eggs, and slice, add peas, celery, parsley or whatever and use the creamy budget dressing that available. You could make a different dressing and put on it.We used to be able to buy dried beans in a bag, that had the recipe on the back.I think I saw them at New World last week in the tinned vege section.The beans are brown but in different tones of brown.Hope this helps.

davidt4, Oct 14, 8:25pm
Make a traditional French mayonnaise from egg yolks, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.This will be practically zero carbs and tastes delicious.Let me know if you would like a recipe.

Just mix the mayo with the eggs plus some fresh herbs such as chives, parsley, tarragon, chervil or marjoram.Capers or green olives are a nice addition.

vtired, Oct 14, 9:05pm
As above however fine chopped celery, parsley with some curry powder in the mayo makes it very nice.

pickles7, Oct 14, 9:13pm
Bean salad#############Dressing

I buy cans of cooked beans for this.
I try and keep 2 cans in the fridge, all the time.
Dressing....Simmer, 1 1/4 cups of malt vinegar,
1/2 cup of brown sugar,
1/2 cup of water,
1 Tbsp honey,
1 Tbsp oil,
1 1/2 tsp salt,
2 tsp soy sauce,
pepper to taste.
cool.
Pour over drained beans, try and leave the salad in the fridge a while before using.

Quotepickles7 (462 )12:07 pm, Sun 22 Aug #57

farnsworthtma, Oct 14, 9:22pm
i just hit some spots and it all just comes to me

shellz596, Oct 15, 1:25am
Yes, I WOULD LIKE THE RECIPE DAVIDT4, IF YOU DONT MIND.

davidt4, Oct 15, 2:03am
Mayonnaise for egg salad

3 egg yolks at room temperature
sea salt
white pepper
2 tsp Dijon mustard
300 ml mild flavoured extra virgin olive oil (e.g. Village Press) at room temperature
1 - 2 lemons

You can make this with a hand whisk, an electric whisk or a small food processor.

Beat the yolks, salt, pepper and mustard together for a few minutes until very thick.Gradually trickle in the oil, whisking constantly to incorporate it.After about 100 ml the mixture will start to thicken and the oil can be added in a thicker stream but don't tip it all in or the mixture will split.

If the mixture gets too stiff whisk in the juice of half a lemon.

When all of the oil is incorporated whisk in the juice of one whole lemon, taste and check the balance of lemon and salt, adjust if necessary.If it tastes too eggy it needs more salt.

This will keep in the fridge a least a week.

If you want it thinner for the egg salad add more lemon or a little warm water.

shellz596, Oct 15, 3:37am
Thanks David, your a jem, I will make this in the weekend:-)

chasing, Oct 16, 4:18am
Thanks guys these sound good will give them a go!!!!

gardie, Oct 16, 4:32am
Indonesian green bean salad:
Saute around 400grams sliced beans in a little oil with some crushed garlic (and optional 1/2 tsp chilli paste) until tender - you can add a tbsp water and pop the pan on to steam if not cooking fast enough.Season.
In a small bowl, pop the following ingredients and whisk to mix.
1 tbsp soya sauce
1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
1/4 c cider/wine/white vinegar
3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
1/4 - 1/2 c salad oil (I use 1/4c more successfully)

Add dressing and 1 small finely diced onion (red is nice) to the still warm beans, and serve at room temperature.

buzzy110, Oct 16, 4:35am
I know this is rather an odd question #1 but what is your problem with fat in a high protein, low carb diet? Personally I'd be more concerned with added sugar in the dressing rather than the fat.

rainrain1, Oct 16, 5:28am
Lightly cooked cauliflower florets are nice with hard boiled egg, you could add anything you wish and use a healthy dressing

buzzy110, Oct 16, 5:35am
What would you recommend as a healthy dressing?

rainrain1, Oct 16, 5:41am
Lite italian for starters

buzzy110, Oct 16, 7:00am
That is not a dressing I could make at home so wouldn't that limit my choices somewhat?I am wondering why you consider it more healthy than a dressing made at home from extra virgin olive oil and wine vinegar or a homemade mayonnaise made from extra virgin olive oil, wine vinegar and egg yolks.

I find it odd that a 'healthy' dressing can only be bought already made in a factory. You do know that French cuisine has been using homemade salad dressings for centuries now and they are considered quite healthy?

gardie, Oct 16, 8:09am
We enjoyed our egg salad tonight using David's recipe for the mayo - it was yum.I popped it onto top of a mixed green salad with all sorts of extras.Got lots of mayo left.Hmmmm - what to make next I wonder.

davidt4, Oct 16, 9:14am
Glad you enjoyed the mayo.You can also use it to make a low carb coleslaw - thinly sliced cabbage, spring onions, grated gruyere, toasted almonds if you like them.Mix it and leave in the fridge overnight (or at least 4 hours) to soften and mellow.

rainrain1, Oct 16, 7:25pm
Blowed if I know Buzzy, you seem to answer your own questions anyway?I love buying ready made dressings, they give me more time to get out of the kitchen, but I do occasionally make my own like a cook wee cookie....

davidt4, Jun 4, 2:03am
x1
You could also make the rest of the mayo into Tartare Sauce to serve with fish or chicken.Just add some capers, gherkins, small amount of spring onion, chives and parsley, all finely chopped.