Those on a budget, what is ur weekly grocery list

Page 2 / 3
toadfish, Aug 23, 6:40pm
Ruby19

You do what I do. ie don't have a set day.... in fact I make it a game....whats the longest I can go between shops.I do a big shop, have built up a stock so that I have what I am using of the common things plus a spare.Then when we run out of something or have opened the spare it goes on the shopping list.I can sometimes stretch it to over 3 weeks between supermarket shops but I obviously top up on milk and veg in between.

Kuaka its just an observation but I think you need to follow the principles of the Secret.Believe you will get good value for money and you will find something.You said milk is $4.50, buy the homebrand its in the $3 bracket and made in the same factory.
I am sure everyweek in the meat dept you will find something thats good value... ie the weekly special and stock up on that.... truely before long your freezer will be stocked with everything that is good value. Rump Steak $10.99 great price.... stock up... next week it will be something else.

Could you share how you make you Roasted Vegie Calzonie please.
Thanks in advance

ruby19, Aug 23, 7:50pm
Hi Toadfish, I roast my veggies, usually pumpkin, red onion, mushrooms, peppers, and garlic, adding seasonings sometimes just basil pesto at the end, or more moroccan style. cool down and add the feta, and just use this filling in the calzone dough, I do sprinkle semolina on the base of the dough when rolling out to give it a nice crunch.I got the recipe fro the calzone dough out of my bread machine book, which I use to make it.Even though really they are just pizzas with the filling on the inside, they make a nice change.

kuaka, Aug 23, 8:03pm
toadfish, I do exactly that with regards to the meat, buy chickens when they're cheap, stocked up on rump steak last week, etc, my freezer is pretty full.We buy the cheapest bread that we can find that doesn't taste like cardboard, but I use calci-trim milk, because I want less fat and added calcium (important at my age, especially seeing as cheese is so expensive so I don't eat as much of that as I would like) and I prefer it in my tea (and I'm a bit of a tea-aholic - again I only like Dilmah so when it's on special I stock up).Believe me, I've always had a pantry that is bulging at the seams, and we could probably live for weeks without going near the shops, but it doesn't alter the fact that it is becoming harder and harder to make ends meet, and I find the meat is one of the worst offenders.I cannot for the life of me see how they justify charging $13.99kg for neck chops.It wasn't that long ago they were $3.99 and then they went to $5.99 and for the amount of meat that's in them, that's all they're worth.We normally go fishing quite a bit in the summer and have snapper two or three times a week, and by the end of summer have enough in the freezer to last us till October allowing for two fish meals a week.If it is defrosted in salt water (either sea water, or tap water with sea salt added) it comes up as good as fresh snapper.This summer just gone, we only managed to get out fishing twice so we haven't had fish now for ages so I'm probably noticing the price of meat more because we're not supplementing our diet with the fish which we normally have.As for the lasagne type meals, or soup and scones, my hubby just wouldn't have that for his main meal - he'd have the soup and scones for lunch, but the lasagne would be considered "foreign food" although I do stir-fries and he'll eat curries, but always with mashed potato or chips.As I say, he's 80 next year, and it's a bit late to change him.

melp6, Aug 23, 8:46pm
What I'm giving a go(not sure if it's going to work out) is online shopping. I'm a terrible 'oh, that looks good, will get some' type of person. With online I can't be bothered scrolling through all the pages so only plug in what I need-not what I want

kuaka, Aug 23, 8:55pm
melp - that sounds like a good idea.Not sure if it would work for me.I like to select my own meats, fruit and veg etc.I don't mind buying the home brand products on lots of things, but I won't buy the made in China stuff.I make my own yoghurt using the packet stuff, not literally making it from scratch, but it is a saving.Believe me, being a pensioner, we don't have much money to splash around, so I shop very carefully.Just find it increasingly difficult to manage the budget.

alex224, Aug 23, 8:56pm
Anne1955 please could I have your soup recipe the 1 with the meat balls?

mistrycelebrity, Aug 24, 10:29am
The original poster didn't say how many she was buying for.I assumed 2 or 3 people, 9 is not really the average household in NZ, but if she was feeding more, i'd readjust the budget.Obviously.

If I am budgeting, I buy milk powder which is about $6 and makes 3 litres, or more if you want to water it down a bit for baking or anything.And the powder keeps in the fridge a while.

Bread I would buy whatever is on special, often there is 2 for $4 specials or similar, or else buy the $2 loaves at the dairies and vege stores.

Meat - there's always meat under $10 a kg if you look for it.Its not the best quality but you gotta know what to do with it.Sometimes rump steak is $10 a kg.Sausages.Chicken drumsticks.

Kuaka, Andrea etc, I think you guys are looking in the wrong places cos I shop at Foodtown St Lukes and all those prices are there, every week.

Including toothpaste at less than $2 a tube.And cheese at $7 for 750gm to a kg, and butter for $3.I use those expensive items sparingly but i'm only feeding 2 adults so they last a while.

At 27 years old I am paying my own university fees as I go, working fulltime in a modest career, travel overseas once or twice a year, and just bought a home in Mt Eden from money saved entirely by myself and my husband due to our hard work, choosing not to have children and pets yet, and having good saving habits in the 6 years we've been together, the 80% mortgage is the only debt we have and we have never had money we didn't earn ourselves, so I know a thing or two about budgeting.

mistrycelebrity, Aug 24, 10:35am
Its a good idea to teach your kids these budgeting and saving habits.They dont teach them in school.The only reason my husband and I know how to budget and save is because we were both raised in large families living on one income and our parents taught us how to manage money.

mistrycelebrity, Aug 24, 10:38am
Quoted for truth.

mistrycelebrity, Aug 24, 10:49am
One last thing, I read a lot of "I don't like this" and "I won't eat this" and "I only buy this brand" or even "my cat won't eat it" (!!!) comments in here.These kind of mindsets are not conducive to budgeting.It comes down to priorities I guess - is having the spare money more important to you, or the 'nicer' food.And imagination - if you can't afford an item you really want, come up with an alternative.I would love to take some of you grocery shopping and set up menus and budgets for whatever income and family size and even health issues you are contending with (but I draw the line at fussy pets).

kuaka, Aug 24, 11:32am
mistrycelebrity - you obviously have a choice of supermarkets in and around where you live/work.I have one supermarket where I live and a four square shop.Believe me, if I could buy meat for under $10 kg I'd do it.I stocked up last week on rump steak which was $10.99, and chickens which were on special at $9.95 for a reasonable sized chicken (I forget what the actual number was, 16 I think).I can stretch that to several meals for the two of us and when most people would think there was nothing left on the carcass I boil it up, pick the scraps of meat off the bones and make chicken pies.I buy mince when it's on special (special price is usually $11.99 kg) and cook it with onion and grated carrots and then cool it, refrigerate it and then remove all the fat.There is always fat no matter how lean it looks.We have one mince meal and I make pies with the rest which I freeze.As I said earlier, neck chops are $13.99 kg and I can't see how this price can be justified.I think it's outrageous.Drumsticks are $13.99kg, sausages $10.99kg.But it isn't only meat.Parsnips are $5.98kg and they are in season, swedes $2.60kg, I always buy potatoes in 10kg sacks because we use a lot of them, and I do a lot of baking.A can of golden syrup is $6, butter is $3.99 on special.Sometimes I wonder if it really is cheaper to bake, when you take the cost of the electricity into account.And mistrycelebrity, don't get me wrong.When I said even the cat turns her nose up at gravy beef, that is true.But don't misunderstand me.I don't buy the stuff for her.If I buy rump steak/chuck steak/gravy beef/mince or whatever, it is for me and my husband, and if she is lucky she gets a tiny wee bit as a treat.But she doesn't like gravy beef.She basically eats what she's given or goes without.And "spare money" is something I just don't have.I can't remember the last time I went to the hairdresser, went out for a coffee, or a meal, bought new clothes.Our national super just doesn't cater for that.

winnie15, Aug 24, 9:37pm
you sound like you're living in a coastal place like i do .. we have a 4 square and a new world, thankfully new world does have specials. But it's alot more expensive than say pak n sav.
You're doing really well on your super .. i love the way you boil chicken carcasses and use the meat for pies.. good thinking! you've given me some great hints.

kuaka, Aug 24, 10:12pm
thanks winnie.Yes it is a struggle, and because I'm not yet 65 I am included in hubbies super but we don't get the full amount for a married couple.For my chicken pies I usually add a few frozen peas, a bit of chopped bacon if I have it (don't very often these days as that is a luxury) a little bit of tinned sweetcorn if I've made sweetcorn fritters and have some open and I mix the meat with the extras - chopped onion of course - into a packet of soup in a saucepan and simmer for a while to thicken the soup into a sauce.I mainly use some sort of chicken soup, but pumpkin or creamy vegetable is also nice.Then I make the pastry myself and make individual pies.I would use the stock to make homemade chicken soup but it always looks to fatty for my liking.We have to watch our cholesterol these days.

sonshine, Aug 24, 10:18pm
Great thread. Good advice.

A lot of grocery money goes on unedible items. I now make my own washing powder, dishwasher powder, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner and toothpaste. Only thing is you do need to buy some items intially to make them but it ends up saving you loads of money in a year. Google or youtube all these homemades recipes. Youtube is great because you can see it done step by step. All ingreds you need for all recipes are available on trademe.

cheese-mike, Aug 25, 3:25am
My mum says that $60per person per week is a good budget at the lower end.

She knows you can make do with less, but that is a good start

For me, shopping daily actually saves me money.
I only let myself buy what I can carry, no basket etc.
I just get what I need that day.
I may spend a bit more than your guys, but I try.
There is just the two of us and I aim at $120 a week.

Im taking lots of notes from your tips ;)

kuaka, Aug 25, 3:39am
cheese-mike, yes I have tried that too and it works as long as you can spare the time.I have even tried walking to the supermarket so you only buy what you can carry home.Believe me, buying too much and struggling all the way home is a good deterrent against buying too much next time.

cheese-mike, Aug 25, 4:25am
exactly kuaka ;)
And it only takes 5minutes to pop in if its not out of your way

At the moment Im bussing everywhere, my bus stop is at the supermarket and I walk from there.
I can't buy too much as then I have to carry it home which is not fun

lythande1, Aug 25, 5:22am
I don't go weekly. I buy loo paper from Warehouse - 40 rolls for $10. Washing powder 5Kg for $11. Veges from the cheapest vege sellers as and when required. Fruit if budget allows. Meat every 4 months in bulk from various cheap places, MAd Butcher, Aussie Butcher and so on. Flour- 20kg $18 etc.
The rest comes from the supermarket, note down as you are almost out of stuff, and then maybe fortnightly, maybe 3 weekly, buy those. Cheap. Do not buy anything not on the list. Do not buy ready made anything. Do not buy anything from the deli section, do not buy junk food. Simple really. Oh and start a vege garden, also cuts down on the buying. I also make my own bread, jam, relishes, pickled onions and so on.

h2gobaby, Aug 25, 5:30am
Loving this thread! i dont have a lot of money over the next couple of months, and feel im spending too much on food, so am taking tips from this.
From now on im just getting cash out from my eftpos card each week, and only allowed to use that each week! I walk to the supermarket, so cant buy much anyway, but i do go most days, but i like it like that coz its better exercise.

mistrycelebrity, Aug 25, 8:07am
kuaka

i see your problem with only having 1 supermarket in your area.sounds like you are doing your best - i agree that price for chops is really outrageous!

my biggest recommendation would be to sign up to the 'simple savings' emails, and even join, because thats where youu get the most AMAZING tips and ideas and help with living on a shoestring.

do you pack your meals out with things like lentils and couscous and beans, to make them go further?

is there a fruit/vege store and a butcher that you can get cheaper produce from?

usually a petrol station or dairy will have cheaper deals on milk and bread i find, i see the signs outside them, have you checked those out?

are there farms nearby that sell seasonal fruit, vege, and perhaps even meat, eggs and milk?thats something i dislike about living right in the city...we can't get the nice fresh farm produce anywhere nearby.

also do you get coupons for your local supermarket? in the paper or the mailbox? if so, make the most of them!

are there any bulk/bin inn type shops around, or bulk bins in the supermarket?

mistrycelebrity, Aug 25, 8:22am
also, this could be hard if you are short on time, but i recommend always scanning the aisle for the "special" signs, and if they have them, always read the cost per gm or per ml etc on the price labels, to work out which is the cheapest product.If it is a large pack, say of bacon, take it home and immediately divide it up into suitable serving sizes and freeze it.

and again if you can get to the supermarket half an hour before it closes (mine closes at 8pm so i normally go at 7 or 7.30pm) you get all the markdowns on meat etc for stuff that has to be used the next day - buy it and freeze it.

also try to think of other areas you can cut down on spending, such as on internet, phone, power,spectacles, bank fees, interest rates - spend time researching what offers are out there and don't be afraid to switch companies.

i find vege soups are great. i make a huge pot of pumpkin-based soup every week and it lasts nearly all week, with some stock cubes, water, and a tin of cheap coconut cream, and throw in whatever veges i have like cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, courgette etc, boil it until everything is soft, then use a hand whizz to puree it, maybe add dried herbs and spices, curry powder is good.i like having vege soup almost every day for breakfast and lunch, and for dinner egg-based frittatas with lots of veges and salad on the side, you can get huge trays of about 40 eggs for about $5 usually.not free-range or ethical...those decisions are up to you.

i believe if you have a small family you can choose to eat organic and cruelty-free and gourmet foods, and still budget.you have to buy less of everything, and probably eat less, but it will all taste so much better that you will probably be satisfied with less.

sapphirez, Aug 25, 8:27am
Thanks everyone for all your good tips, they are great :)

kuaka, Aug 25, 8:53am
mistrycelebrity - believe me, if I had those options I'd be using them.There's a "bin-inn" at Kerikeri, a 55km round trip, and we have a thirsty diesel 4-wheel drive (necessary for safety because we have a nasty entrance out onto a sharp bend on the main road - and the boy racers think they're at Bathurst when they go past our place) so add the cost of travel, diesel & road user charges, and that outweighs the savings which we "might" achieve by travelling that far to save a couple of dollars.If we happen to be going to Kerikeri or Whangarei we take advantage of the cheaper shopping available there, but it's not worth doing a special trip.Being in a tourist spot doesn't help, because the retailers think everyone is loaded (rents/rates are high).Actually I grew up in this same situation in the UK so I'm used to it.The butcher closed 4 years ago, there's no fruit/veg place.I buy "gold max" bread at the 4 square for $1.85 as it's the cheapest "reasonable" bread, rather than the supermarket homebrand stuff which goes like tissue paper if you try to spread anything on it.Like I say, I use calci-trim milk and that's not on the service station special deals.I guess at the end of the day, if you only have a limited (and fixed) amount of money to spend in any one area, then you have to make sacrifices/adjustments/comprom-
ises.I was always amazed that my first mother-in-law used to say she"d rather go hungry than to the not have her shampoo and set each week.She used to spend a fortune on clothes and was always immaculate.For years she lived in a rented house, and when my first husband and I got married (I was 19 - ye gods - I must have been mad!) we bought our first home and mil said "fancy having to pay a mortgage for the next 25 years" and my response was, when we've paid off our mortgage in 25 years time, you'll still be paying rent!Anyway I digress.I'm prepared to compromise on some things, but not on others.I would rather go without cheese than eat the tasteless stuff, and for 18 months I didn't buy cheese.When tasty went from $8.99kg on special to $16.99kg I just didn't buy it.Now I buy it when it's on special, sometimes it's $12.99kg, sometimes it's $10.99kg.I buy in bulk when I can, flour which not long ago was $4.99 for 5 kg is now $8.99 on special.I'm sorry, my other half won't touch couscous, he just leaves it.There's only so much you can do.Tonight we had butter chicken, RICE (and he didn't ask where the potatoes were - but that was only because it's my birthday and I told him it was going to be an "easy" meal) and frozen green beans.He ate it and said it was nice, but tomorrow he will want his spuds, and we usually have fresh veg. Most rice/pasta dishes he will only have once in a while, and to be honest, I've seen Jamie Oliver whip up a quick and easy meal of pasta with a drizzle of olive oil and some crumbly cheese and a few cherry tomatoes stirred in and a few rocket leaves and he calls it a meal.I personally wouldn't be able to eat enough of that to call it a meal, a snack, maybe a lunch, but not an evening meal.So we're all different.I do my best.I think I do quite well.I commend you on how you are managing your money, and buying your own home, and if you continue the way you are going you will end up in a very good financial situation by the time you are retiring age as long as you don't have the misfortune to suffer from a divorce or two along the way.The other thing of course is that with my husband being the age he is, he doesn't really have a lot to look forward to, apart from meeting his maker or acquiring a few more aches and pains along the way (and he's got shingles down the side of his face - had it for 6 years, and he's had 3 strokes and recovered from them) so I think it's unfair to force food onto him that he doesn't really like and has trouble eating.Pasta is hard to eat without teeth apparently.

kuaka, Aug 25, 9:07am
mistrycelebrity - eggs come in trays of 30 (two and a half dozen).And we use lots of eggs here.I was going to say, you're obviously a lot younger than me and even younger again than my husband, and I think you are doing really well because so many young people don't have the skills that you have regarding budgeting.But, project yourself forward 50 years or so, and can you imagine when the pasta/rise/couscous type stuff is then "old hat" and has been replaced with whatever the food buffs decide we should be eating because it's fashionable, will you feel like changing your habits of a lifetime.It's easy now to say of course you will, but will you?My husband was brought up during the depression of the '30s and food had to be cheap and satisfying and he's worked hard all his life.He doesn't go out, doesn't smoke, he still works hard when he can, he looks after the outside of the house, does the gardens, we have a tiny veg garden, and he still goes out and cuts firewood (we haven't bought firewood in 7 years) and he'll be 80 next year.I'm not going to force him to eat things he doesn't like.So it is a challenge.I cut my own hair, I cut his hair.Talking about compromises.In the summer we don't even have the hot water cylinder switched on.We don't shower in the summer, we boil the jug and have a wash.In the winter we have endless hot water because the woodfire provides it.I've switched to the low-power eco bulbs to save on energy, don't use the dish washer or the clothes dryer unless it's absolutely essential (about 3 times a year maybe), and yet we still struggle at times.We have put our rates on "hold" so when we finally snuff it, they will come out of our estate, because at just over $2000 a year I can't see the point of struggling to pay them just to give our adult kids more to fritter away (I have two and he has five).We were about to switch power companies recently because we were offered $75 to switch and all the charges were the same, so we decided to do it, then the company we were with offered us $125 to stay with them.Why can't they stop all this messing around and just reduce the prices.We don't pay bank charges because we're with the ASB and they don't charge pensioners if your pension goes into your ASB account.

I'm still open to suggestions for other cost savings.

kuaka, Aug 25, 9:08am
oh yes, our supermarket is open from 7am to 10 or 11pm so half an hour before closing isn't really for me.