Southland cousin always gifts a swede-help!!!

Page 4 / 4
elliehen, Aug 18, 10:40am
Boil, then mash with salt and pepper, then fry in butter until there's a crispy brown crust underneath!

nik12, Aug 18, 10:45am
Have you seen how much they charge for the wee things they call 'swedes' in the supermarket! You should be honoured lol, my Mum in Dunedin is wild we don't grow the good ones.
Boil like spuds, then mash with a bit of butter and pepper is my favourite way.Add a wee bit of milk like potatoes if it looks like it needs it - but it doesn't usually.

books4nz, Aug 18, 11:59am
They're great with an antipasto platter, peeled and cut into sticks.

winnie231, Aug 18, 7:57pm
They are lovely roasted . kind of 'nutty & sweet'.
Or try grating them then cooking slowly in a pan with some oil . just like caramelized onions are done . delicious!

cap, Aug 18, 10:09pm
My nana always used to boil them with parsnips and then mash them.Haven't had one in years.

thuntzster, Aug 19, 7:01am
fantastic ideas thanks-keep 'em coming. A workmate said she tasted a good recipe once with swedes in sherry! Also are they any good in soup!

lizab, Aug 19, 7:42am
my mum from Scotland always laughs at the swedes being sold over here in the supermarkets - cos they're so small! Boil and mash them with plenty of butter and pepper. Mum used to put chunks in soups and casseroles and we too, always ate them raw (kind of hot tasting like a mild version of a radish - yum!)

elliehen, Aug 20, 7:21am
They're not called 'swedes' in the USA.They're 'rutabagas' which is Swedish dialect for 'baggy root'.

anne1955, Aug 20, 7:41am
Funny I should read/find this I often live in Perth as my kids are there.and in WA you can't get a swede of any size worth cooking :) if they come into a supermarket any bigger than a soft ball they cut them in half and use them in vegie soup pack.I have somewhere a wonderful semi curried swede receipe as a soup.just cook mash and eat with ground pepper.yummy when I lived fulltime in WA and I would come home for a holiday people would ask what I miss from NZ and when I got here people asked what I wanted to eat.it was a good southland swede.need the frosts on them before they taste great.and a smoked sav.can't get good sav's in WA.
Use them instead of spud mash and put on top of pies.anything.they are great.up there with sweet potatoes.Chop into cubes to boil add a tsp sugar serve with fresh pepper ok white/black ground will do just serve cubbed.or smash :)Ok I missed NZ seafood.as well :)

gardie, Aug 21, 9:06am
Got my swedes today - can't wait to try the souffle.

anne1955, Aug 23, 6:51am
Curried Swede Soup Soup can be made 3 days ahead and kept covered in fridge Or frozen without cream for at least 2 months add cream to reheat.
60g butter 2tsp curry powder 500g swedes 2 onion finely chopped 1 chicken stock cube crumbled 1 clove garil crushed 4 cups water 2 sticks cleerly chopped (I don't use hate cooked celery) 2tbsp cream 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter in large saucepan, add swede oinons garlic and (yuck) celery, stir over high for about 3 mins, or mic on high for 4mins till onions are just soft.
Stir in curry powder stir over high heat or further for 1 minin microwave.cont.

elliehen, Aug 25, 9:07am
rainrain1, I'll bet you've got great swedes and parsnips this year after all that snow!

wildflower, Aug 26, 4:32am
I'm growing them for first time this year but farmers would laugh at me, for some reason they're tiny.Taste great though but I'll have to try raw after reading above posts.

rainrain1, Aug 28, 8:29pm
Do you have a special way of cooking them, or simple deep fry!Sounds interesting as they don't excite me much any more

bev00, Sep 5, 9:13am
Swede soup is very yummy.

korbo, Sep 5, 8:38pm
I cooked swede, parsnip, carrot and kumera, mashed it all up, put in casserole dish, then cheese/breadcrumbs over top. It was very yummy.

annie.nz, Sep 6, 1:35am
Raw.Speaking as a Southlander.

But having said that, the variety of swedes grown now isn't as good as it was when I was a kid.We'd pull one up on the way to school and eat it, dirt and all.

fifie, Sep 6, 2:52am
First cold day i'm going to make the swede soup while i still have a few swedes left, that sounds yummy thanks for sharing the recipe.

daisyhill, Sep 6, 11:23am
This thread is really making me want what I grew up calling turnips (big yellow-fleshed things) but what I think people here call swedes. So good mashed with butter and salt 'n' pepper. Mmmm.

rainrain1, Sep 6, 7:01pm
Turnips are soft and don't last in the paddock as long as the swede.Swedes are harder and taste better according to my farmer.The sheeps say so too:=)

nik12, Dec 17, 10:37am
Lol, yay for the bump for southland swedes. need to bump for the next 6 months! Our seeds aren't in the ground yet :-)

lythande1, Dec 17, 6:46pm
I still have a wee bit in the freezer, from my Southland present.

biggles45, Dec 17, 7:19pm
+1. I also sometimes cook carrots and mash them with the swede then salt/pepper/butter.