Southland cousin always gifts a swede-help!!!

Page 3 / 4
rainrain1, Aug 20, 6:49pm
Yes they are nice in your soup, not too much though because the flavour could overpower other ingredients.Swedes and parsnips are much tastier after the frost has been on them.

gardie, Aug 21, 9:06am
Got my swedes today - can't wait to try the souffle.

poce, Aug 21, 6:14pm
I boil them, keep the water cook in and make a little sauce, butter, flour and the water it was cooked, then add dash of white pepper.

anne1955, Aug 23, 6:51am
Curried Swede Soup Soup can be made 3 days ahead and kept covered in fridge Or frozen without cream for at least 2 months add cream to reheat.
60g butter 2tsp curry powder 500g swedes 2 onion finely chopped 1 chicken stock cube crumbled 1 clove garil crushed 4 cups water 2 sticks cleerly chopped (I don't use hate cooked celery) 2tbsp cream 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter in large saucepan, add swede oinons garlic and (yuck) celery, stir over high for about 3 mins, or mic on high for 4mins till onions are just soft.
Stir in curry powder stir over high heat or further for 1 minin microwave.cont.

anne1955, Aug 23, 6:56am
Stir in combined stock cube and water and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for about 20mins. (or microwave on high for about same time) or until swedes are tender.Remove from heat blend or process mixture in 2 batches until smooth return to heat stir in cream and parsely Reheat when needed without boiling Garnish with toasted coconut if desired.

rose52, Aug 23, 8:35am
- I love swede mashed with butter, lots of pepper and mashed carrot - amazing!

My Mum also made an awesome soup once, boiled swede with some water, chucked in a couple of cans of Indian spiced tomatoes and blend, may sound weird but was so scrumy!

thuntzster, Aug 24, 7:37am
Annes soup gets a big vote

mackenzie2, Aug 24, 7:14pm
I fry fatty bacon in a hot fryapan, and add grated swede, till it just sweats out then serve with cracked pepper, really tasty. My husband is a born and breed southlander and goes into mourning when the swede season is over, I either have it as above, or boiled in water with a TBSP of maple syrup, then mashed with butter and pepper, roasted is nice, or raw

lythande1, Aug 24, 8:15pm
It is. I could happily live on it.

bev00, Aug 25, 8:49am
so many ideas . so many swedes about

elliehen, Aug 25, 9:07am
rainrain1, I'll bet you've got great swedes and parsnips this year after all that snow!

medicina, Aug 25, 11:36pm
Raw and grated with carrot.Flavour similar to cabbage.So result is similar to coleslaw.

jag5, Aug 26, 12:45am
Cooked with carrot till soft, then mash together with a little butter and fresh pepper.
To me, a decent vegie soup has swede in it.
Cooked on its own and left whole or mashed.
All of the above.beautiful vegie

jbsouthland, Aug 26, 1:45am
Lovely raw but must be after a frost.as kids in the school holswe would carve faces in to them and let them shrink and dry up.bit liketheApple Granny faces.We had competitions at school for the best swede face at Halloween.Mum always had a couple half submerged in the garden.keeping.nutmeg on them as a side is also nice.never tried roasted .

jbsouthland, Aug 26, 1:47am
A drive out in the Country is never complete without seeing a Swede stall.many a Southland kid got their pocket money this way.

rinny5, Aug 26, 4:13am
Cooked and mashed with pumpkin. Yuuuuum.Swede is a must in vege soup too.

wildflower, Aug 26, 4:32am
I'm growing them for first time this year but farmers would laugh at me, for some reason they're tiny.Taste great though but I'll have to try raw after reading above posts.

mackenzie2, Aug 26, 7:34am
Fry fatty strip bacon, in butter till crisp, add grated swede and toss until slightly softened, a grind of black pepper and a squirt of maple syrup. YUM OH.

mackenzie2, Aug 26, 7:35am
My husband has swede every night when in season, boiled, fried, raw and as above

moana9, Aug 28, 11:31am
we make chips out of them yummo

rainrain1, Aug 28, 8:29pm
Do you have a special way of cooking them, or simple deep fry!Sounds interesting as they don't excite me much any more

jaybee6, Sep 2, 11:34pm
A little tip when cooking them sprinkle a little sugar and it makes a huge difference.Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

daisyhill, Sep 6, 11:23am
This thread is really making me want what I grew up calling turnips (big yellow-fleshed things) but what I think people here call swedes. So good mashed with butter and salt 'n' pepper. Mmmm.

rainrain1, Sep 6, 7:01pm
Turnips are soft and don't last in the paddock as long as the swede.Swedes are harder and taste better according to my farmer.The sheeps say so too:=)

charlieb2, Aug 18, 10:18am
we use to eat them raw as kids. refused to eat them cooked! lol. Mr loves a bit of mashed swede though