Left over rice

taryn7, Aug 3, 1:07am
what to do with it?

cookessentials, Aug 3, 1:19am
How much have you got? If you have enough, do a fried rice.

taryn7, Aug 3, 1:34am
I have a bit, maybe 2 cups. I would like to do fried rice but all the recipes seem quite complex. Do you know a real simple/tasty recipe?

fisher, Aug 3, 1:37am
Yummy Fried Rice
Serve as an accompaniment to chinese-style meal or as meal on its own (substitute diced ham or bacon for the char siu )
50 ml peanut oil. . 3 eggs. . 2-3 cups, cold boiled rice. . 1/2 cup small prawns, shelled and deveined. . 1/4 cup peas. .
1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped. . pinch sugar. . pinch white pepper. . pinch salt. . 200g char siu (Chinese BBQ pork), diced. .

Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Add oil to a hot wok. Pour the eggs into the wok and allow to set. . Add the cold rice, breaking it up and tossing... (Petal1955 method dries it out nicely to make it more manageable but it MUST be COLD cooked rice )
Evenly distribute the egg and rice... Add the salt, white pepper and sugar. Add the pork, prawns, shallots and peas. Toss and mix well.
Cook for a further few minutes on high heat, tossing the entire time.

taryn7, Aug 3, 1:41am
Yum, thanks!

lizab, Aug 3, 2:07am
I make rice pudding with leftover rice - from memory I think it's 3c cold cooked rice, 2 cups cream or milk, half a cup of sugar and some vanilla essence. Cook all together slowly in a saucepan for about 20-30 mins, adding more cream/milk if too thick

dbab, Aug 3, 4:00am
You can freeze it. I just reheat mine in the microwave when i need it again.

milig, Aug 8, 2:02pm
Yummy vege fried rice
Finely shred some cabbage, spring onions, carrots , normal onions, capsicum and if you want, some egg (make a thin omlette). Finely chop some garlic. Add this to some hot oil. Then all the veges one after the another and cook them till no more moisture but veges aren't overcooked. Then add the rice, salt, some soy sauce. Cook for 5 minsor so. U can actually use any veges u like (whatever u have in fridge) ANd add chicke, prawns etc. Tastes really good.

ferita, Jan 7, 6:56am
Mix the rice with a carton of cottage cheese, a packet of spring vegetable soup and a couple of beaten eggs.

Form into patties and dip in bread crumbs and fry.

This is vegetarian but you could add whatever you wanted (perhaps some tuna or something).