Has anyone ever made doughnuts?

Page 3 / 3
elliehen, Jun 21, 5:49am
Ask him for the recipe, post it here, and tell him we'll love him too ;)

valerie66, Jun 21, 5:55am
Yep just recently and I have to say they were really good.I googled donut recipe and the first one that comes up is this:
http://www.secretdonutrecipe.com/Site/Donut_Recipe_Story.html

Great recipe, easy and worked extremely well.

suz71, Jun 21, 6:33am
theres a recipe in good old edmonds book

clair4, Jun 22, 12:14am
I would like an old fashioned recipe if you have one please.I would like to make them with compressed yeast, but where do you buy this yeast!We have a deep frier that never gets used and to make doughnuts for a special occasion would be okay.Thanks uli

elliehen, Jun 22, 12:19am
Fastnachts.YUM :)

elliehen, Jun 22, 12:22am
"Fastnacht falls on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Fastnacht is Pennsylvania Dutch or German for 'fast night' and is the last revelry before the fast of Lent. A fastnacht is a doughnut that is deep fried and served by slicing crosswise like bagel with molasses used as a spread. The fastnacht comes from German folk traditions where it was thought that eating a fastnacht before Lent would prevent boils in the coming year. The fastnacht also has a practical purpose of using up last year's fat and sugar. In many Pennsylvania Dutch areas, the last person out of bed on that day is called fastnacht.
Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Ingredients:

2 cups milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
2 packages active dry yeast
7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preparation:

In medium saucepan, warm milk and butter until butter is melted.

In large bowl, add salt, sugar, and nutmeg. Pour in milk and melted butter. Stir and set aside until lukewarm.

When contents in bowl are warm, mix in beaten eggs and yeast.

Add 3 cups of flour. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes and then on high speed for 2 minutes. Mix in remaining flour by hand.

Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for about 3 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turn dough over, and cover with clean cloth. Let rise in warm place for about 1 hour or until double in size.

Punch down and turn dough out onto floured board. Roll to 1/4 inch thick and cut dough into squares. Cover and let rise until double in size.

Drop into hot fat. Turn over when golden brown on bottom side. Remove from heat and set fastnachts on paper towels to cool.

If you are going to freeze the fastnachts for later, allow to cool completely, bag and freeze.

To cover fastnachts in powdered sugar, sift sugar over fastnachts while they are still slightly warm.

To cover in cinnamon and sugar, put 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a plastic bag. Shake one fastnacht at a time inside the bag to coat with cinnamon sugar.

Traditionally, fastnachts are cut open and buttered with molasses."

elliehen, Jun 22, 5:49am
Ask him for the recipe, post it here, and tell him we'll love him too ;)

uli, Jun 22, 8:44am
This is the recipe I use:
In a small bowl mix 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast - or fresh yeast if you can get hold of it - in half a cup of lukewarm water and add 1 teasp of sugar. Leave for approx 15 minutes, until it becomes frothy.

In a large bowl beat 1 large egg with 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt until the mixture is thick and light.
Add the yeast mixture, 1/2 cup of lukewarm milk, and 3 tablespoons of melted and cooled butter, beat well.
Add approx 3 to 4 cups of flour, enough to form a soft dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic, and form it into a ball.
Let it rise, covered with a wet towel (or plastic), in a warm place for approx 1 and 1/2 hours.
Or alternatively put it into the fridge until the next morning.

Roll the dough out on a floured surface. Not thinner than 1cm. Cut out rounds and either make holes in the middle for simple doughnuts or add some jam and a second round to make a filled "Berliner". In that case make sure the edges are well sealed.

Let the doughnuts rise for approx. 20 minutes before frying in deep hot oil. Make sure they have enough space to puff up. Once nice and brown on one side - flip over. Let them drain on some kitchen towels with lots of newspaper underneath to catch the surplus oil. Sieve with icing sugar while still hot.

Enjoy!

uli, Jun 22, 8:56am
Is that an English or American recipe?
I have never heard them called "Fastnachts" - although Fastnacht is what that time of year is called, the translation could be Fastnacht "cakes".
And I have certainly never seen Molasses used as that was never available in Germany until it was imported from approx. the mid 50's onwards and sold in health food shops, while sugar cane was grown in many English colonies and molasses was readily available and used in many recipes - baked beans being one of the more famous ones...

elliehen, Jun 22, 9:39am
'Fastnachts' is a German recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch area of the United States - an early German colony.

"The term 'Dutch' is an archaic term for German (Deutsch/Deitsch) and refers to the German-speaking origins of some of the earliest European immigrants to the area in the late 17th and 18th centuries.The Old Order Amish and Old Order Mennonites (among other Christian sects) brought with them the culture of their native land and have retained aspects of their 18th century way of life, including the Deitsch dialect."

Fastnachts....YUM :)

purplegoanna, Jun 22, 9:18pm
my fav is koeksisters...there was a lady on here that made them & sold them...she even delivered them to me.....yummy plaited donuts deepfried then dippped in sugar syrup......hubby thought they were stodgy but i thought they were devine.

elliehen, Jun 23, 9:39am
'Fastnachts' is a German recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch area of the United States - an early German colony.

"The term 'Dutch' is an archaic term for German (Deutsch/Deitsch) and refers to the German-speaking origins of some of the earliest European immigrants to the area in the late 17th and 18th centuries.The Old Order Amish and Old Order Mennonites (among other Christian sects) brought with them the culture of their native land and have retained aspects of their 18th century way of life, including the Deitsch dialect."

Fastnachts.YUM :)

purplegoanna, Jun 23, 9:18pm
my fav is koeksisters.there was a lady on here that made them & sold them.she even delivered them to me.yummy plaited donuts deepfried then dippped in sugar syrup.hubby thought they were stodgy but i thought they were devine.

pixietraveller, Jun 5, 3:23am
My husband has a hankering for them, and living in the country we don't have easy access to them. I have googled and found some recipes, but if anyone has one they have actually tried I would be most grateful. TIA.

bcnd, Jun 5, 4:10am
Someone posted this recipe the other day. I haven't tried it yet. JAM DOUGHNUTS
My Mum used to make these ones - they are round,but no reason why you couldnt make them into finger doughnuts.

¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
¾ cup (185g) warm milk
2½ cups (375g) plain flour
1 sachet dried yeast (8g)
pinch salt
3 egg yolks
100g butter, chopped coarsely
½ cup strawberry jam, warmed, sieved
vegetable oil, for deep frying
1 cup (220g) caster sugar, extra

Combine sugar and milk in small jug; stir well to dissolve sugar.

Combine flour, yeast and salt in large bowl. Add milk mixture and egg yolks stirring well with a wooden spoon to combine.

Tip mixture onto a lightly floured bench; using hands knead dough until just smooth, about 2 minutes.

Knead butter into dough; one piece at a time, until incorporated and dough becomes glossy and very smooth. You will need to keep the bench lightly floured during this process.

Place dough in an oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.

Divide dough into 20 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place on a baking tray; cover with plastic wrap and stand 30 minutes or until doubled in size.

Place jam in small piping bag, fitted with a small plain piping nozzle.

Heat oil in wok or large saucepan to 190°C or 170°C fan-forced.

Add dough balls, a few at a time, turning occasionally with a slotted spoon to ensure they brown evenly. Cook until golden brown and floating, about 5 minutes.

Drain on absorbent paper before tossing in extra sugar. Pipe jam into the centre of each doughnut. Serve immediately