Has anyone ever made doughnuts?

Page 2 / 3
pickles7, May 23, 8:26pm
Bread dough.
baked = bun
fried = doughnut.

There was a mould you could buy at the "open day's" years ago. They came with a recipe, it was a cake-like, mixture. They were deep fried, then you rolled them in cinnamon sugar. A staff member, bought one, used it a few times,then put in the back of the draw.

pixietraveller, Jun 5, 3:23am
My husband has a hankering for them, and living in the country we don't have easy access to them. I have googled and found some recipes, but if anyone has one they have actually tried I would be most grateful. TIA.

holdenss, Jun 5, 3:31am
Use to make them all the time and they were easy, Sorry dont have a recipe but I remember cutting them out of dough alot before I was shown to grab a piece of dough and stick ya finger through it and twirl left and right index fingers till there donut shapes.(good technique)

bcnd, Jun 5, 4:10am
Someone posted this recipe the other day. I haven't tried it yet. JAM DOUGHNUTS
My Mum used to make these ones - they are round,but no reason why you couldnt make them into finger doughnuts.

¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
¾ cup (185g) warm milk
2½ cups (375g) plain flour
1 sachet dried yeast (8g)
pinch salt
3 egg yolks
100g butter, chopped coarsely
½ cup strawberry jam, warmed, sieved
vegetable oil, for deep frying
1 cup (220g) caster sugar, extra

Combine sugar and milk in small jug; stir well to dissolve sugar.

Combine flour, yeast and salt in large bowl. Add milk mixture and egg yolks stirring well with a wooden spoon to combine.

Tip mixture onto a lightly floured bench; using hands knead dough until just smooth, about 2 minutes.

Knead butter into dough; one piece at a time, until incorporated and dough becomes glossy and very smooth. You will need to keep the bench lightly floured during this process.

Place dough in an oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.

Divide dough into 20 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place on a baking tray; cover with plastic wrap and stand 30 minutes or until doubled in size.

Place jam in small piping bag, fitted with a small plain piping nozzle.

Heat oil in wok or large saucepan to 190°C or 170°C fan-forced.

Add dough balls, a few at a time, turning occasionally with a slotted spoon to ensure they brown evenly. Cook until golden brown and floating, about 5 minutes.

Drain on absorbent paper before tossing in extra sugar. Pipe jam into the centre of each doughnut. Serve immediately

pixietraveller, Jun 5, 7:23am
Thanks, will add it to the list of ones to try.

taniajane, Jun 5, 7:50am
I use to make them in canada, but i made the olieballen type which is a ball rather than a ring. its very easy,i didnt add currants but apple is really nice.
follow this link for a recipe
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oliebollen-Dutch-Doughnuts/Detail.aspx#

Use to make them for christmas, yum!

karlachikkidy, Jun 12, 5:08am
Ooooh im going to make some of these right now!!!Yummo, I have wanted a recipe for decent donuts for ages.Will let you know how they turn out..

cookessentials, Jun 12, 6:44am
The ones I am getting are non stick, not silicone and yes, you make them in the oven.

cookessentials, Jun 12, 6:45am
draw = drawer

babytears, Jun 12, 7:39am
So... how'd y get on... good?

fee1965, Jun 12, 10:40am
rachel allen once made Balloons, these were doughnut balls, very easy and no yeast

karlachikkidy, Jun 12, 8:02pm
Sorry still stuffing my face :-Pthese are amazing, really light and fluffy like the bought ones, bit of a muck around making it and incorporating the butter but well worth it, ill be writing this one into my recipe book!!!

karlachikkidy, Jun 13, 5:08am
Ooooh im going to make some of these right now!Yummo, I have wanted a recipe for decent donuts for ages.Will let you know how they turn out.

babytears, Jun 13, 7:39am
So. how'd y get on. good!

karlachikkidy, Jun 13, 8:02pm
Sorry still stuffing my face :-Pthese are amazing, really light and fluffy like the bought ones, bit of a muck around making it and incorporating the butter but well worth it, ill be writing this one into my recipe book!

yearling, Jun 16, 9:36pm
buy a donut maker.about $30 ex results.comes with easy to follow recipies.makes 6 at a time.

cookessentials, Jun 20, 10:11pm
Mini Doughnut Muffins

1 1/2cups plain flour
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup caster sugar
125g butter, melted
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg, lightly beaten
100g melted butter, extra
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease 2, 12 hole patty tins.

Sift flours and bi- carb soda into a large bowl. Stir through sugar.

Combine butter, milk, vanilla essence and egg in a jug. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour in wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Spoon into prepared tins. Bake for 15 minutes.

While still warm brush with melted butter. Roll in combined sugar and cinnamon. Serve.

uli, Jun 21, 12:09am
Yep I have made them many times - they are made all over Germany for the February carnival before the fast starts (lenten) until Easter.

Contrary to popular NZ belief - and all the manufacturers of teflon coated funny gadgets - those items are made of a yeast dough and once rolled out and cut into shapes they are thrown into hot oil - then taken out onto paper to get rid of some of the fat and sieved with icing sugar. Very similar to fried bread in fact.

I would have thought that goes well with the NZ fast food culture of throwing anything into hot oil from fish and chips to mars bars and whole kg lots of cheese. But no - now you can buy those wonderful things that are called a "doughnut maker" - won't make real doughnuts though of course - another fake pretend item to avoid.

So if you are keen to try the real item I can translate a few recipes. But they are both high in carbs (grains and sugar and maybe even jam) and high in fat.

Make sure you consult your doctor and dietician first.

cookessentials, Jun 21, 12:12am
My goodness, you obviously have no interest in this thread apart from the usual rude comments. Ahhh, nothing chages LOL

clair4, Jun 21, 12:14am
I would like an old fashioned recipe if you have one please.I would like to make them with compressed yeast, but where do you buy this yeast?We have a deep frier that never gets used and to make doughnuts for a special occasion would be okay.Thanks uli

elliehen, Jun 21, 12:19am
Fastnachts.....YUM :)

elliehen, Jun 21, 12:22am
"Fastnacht falls on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Fastnacht is Pennsylvania Dutch or German for 'fast night' and is the last revelry before the fast of Lent. A fastnacht is a doughnut that is deep fried and served by slicing crosswise like bagel with molasses used as a spread. The fastnacht comes from German folk traditions where it was thought that eating a fastnacht before Lent would prevent boils in the coming year. The fastnacht also has a practical purpose of using up last year's fat and sugar. In many Pennsylvania Dutch areas, the last person out of bed on that day is called fastnacht.
Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Ingredients:

2 cups milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
2 packages active dry yeast
7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preparation:

In medium saucepan, warm milk and butter until butter is melted.

In large bowl, add salt, sugar, and nutmeg. Pour in milk and melted butter. Stir and set aside until lukewarm.

When contents in bowl are warm, mix in beaten eggs and yeast.

Add 3 cups of flour. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes and then on high speed for 2 minutes. Mix in remaining flour by hand.

Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for about 3 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turn dough over, and cover with clean cloth. Let rise in warm place for about 1 hour or until double in size.

Punch down and turn dough out onto floured board. Roll to 1/4 inch thick and cut dough into squares. Cover and let rise until double in size.

Drop into hot fat. Turn over when golden brown on bottom side. Remove from heat and set fastnachts on paper towels to cool.

If you are going to freeze the fastnachts for later, allow to cool completely, bag and freeze.

To cover fastnachts in powdered sugar, sift sugar over fastnachts while they are still slightly warm.

To cover in cinnamon and sugar, put 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a plastic bag. Shake one fastnacht at a time inside the bag to coat with cinnamon sugar.

Traditionally, fastnachts are cut open and buttered with molasses."

cookessentials, Jun 21, 1:12am
I buy my fresh yeast from Moore Wilson, but you could try someone ike Gilmours or food service people.

greg.n.michelle, Jun 21, 4:27am
i have a doughnut dough you do in bread makerjust to make life easier!

antoniab, Jun 21, 5:10am
My partner made some tiramisu doughnuts once OMG they were amazing! Just another reason why I love him lol