Has anyone ever made doughnuts?

Page 1 / 3
pixietraveller, Jun 5, 3:23am
My husband has a hankering for them, and living in the country we don't have easy access to them. I have googled and found some recipes, but if anyone has one they have actually tried I would be most grateful. TIA.

holdenss, Jun 5, 3:31am
Use to make them all the time and they were easy, Sorry dont have a recipe but I remember cutting them out of dough alot before I was shown to grab a piece of dough and stick ya finger through it and twirl left and right index fingers till there donut shapes. (good technique)

bcnd, Jun 5, 4:10am
Someone posted this recipe the other day. I haven't tried it yet. JAM DOUGHNUTS
My Mum used to make these ones - they are round, but no reason why you couldnt make them into finger doughnuts.

¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
¾ cup (185g) warm milk
2½ cups (375g) plain flour
1 sachet dried yeast (8g)
pinch salt
3 egg yolks
100g butter, chopped coarsely
½ cup strawberry jam, warmed, sieved
vegetable oil, for deep frying
1 cup (220g) caster sugar, extra

Combine sugar and milk in small jug; stir well to dissolve sugar.

Combine flour, yeast and salt in large bowl. Add milk mixture and egg yolks stirring well with a wooden spoon to combine.

Tip mixture onto a lightly floured bench; using hands knead dough until just smooth, about 2 minutes.

Knead butter into dough; one piece at a time, until incorporated and dough becomes glossy and very smooth. You will need to keep the bench lightly floured during this process.

Place dough in an oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.

Divide dough into 20 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place on a baking tray; cover with plastic wrap and stand 30 minutes or until doubled in size.

Place jam in small piping bag, fitted with a small plain piping nozzle.

Heat oil in wok or large saucepan to 190°C or 170°C fan-forced.

Add dough balls, a few at a time, turning occasionally with a slotted spoon to ensure they brown evenly. Cook until golden brown and floating, about 5 minutes.

Drain on absorbent paper before tossing in extra sugar. Pipe jam into the centre of each doughnut. Serve immediately

pixietraveller, Jun 5, 7:23am
Thanks, will add it to the list of ones to try.

taniajane, Jun 5, 7:50am
I use to make them in canada, but i made the olieballen type which is a ball rather than a ring. its very easy, i didnt add currants but apple is really nice.
follow this link for a recipe
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oliebollen-Dutch-Doughnuts/Deta
il. aspx#

Use to make them for christmas, yum!

blt10, May 21, 3:37am
2 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace
¼ cup Wesson Oil
¾ cup milk
1 egg

Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, nutmeg. Then add oil, milk and egg. Drop by the teaspoon into hot oil (375°F) for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain onto to paper towels, then while still hot roll in cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.

grandma, May 21, 7:27am
Why not try muffins that taste like doughnuts?
1 ¾ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cinnamon

1/3 cup oil
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
¾ cup milk

In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.

In another bowl, combine thoroughly the oil, sugar, egg and milk.

Add liquid ingredients to dry and stir only to combine.

Mix together:
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Sprinkle on top of individual muffins before baking.

Bake at 190 C (375 F) for 20 minutes.

(I spray my silicone muffin trays and after baking the muffins I leave them for 5 minutes after they come out of the oven before shaking them out.)

korbo, May 21, 7:56am
when i worked in a girls boarding school kitchen, we made a scone dough, cut into squares, pushed your thumb in the middle to makedent, then they were deep fried.
cant see why you could do the same, then roll them in sugar and cinamon mix.
The girls had bowls of golden syrup to dunk theirs in, tho that was stopped a few years back for obvious reasons......
gee i could really go some just now....all the syrup dripping down ya chin.....

mybooks, May 21, 10:14am
Would they be fried scones Korbo?

duckmoon, May 21, 10:25am
I remembering using two lids - to make the shape...

top off a bottle for the inner circle... and a jar lid for the bigger one

purplegoanna, May 21, 10:48pm
ive got a recipe somewhere for hunky punkys.which are these lil cinnmon donut balls rolled in a cinnamon sugar mix BUT im missing the amount for the flour so havent been able to make them for yrs sadly.

lizab, May 22, 12:31am
I made doughnuts a few years back now and they were so good, I had to stop making them!!!!

grandma, May 22, 7:27am
Why not try muffins that taste like doughnuts!
1 ¾ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cinnamon

1/3 cup oil
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
¾ cup milk

In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.

In another bowl, combine thoroughly the oil, sugar, egg and milk.

Add liquid ingredients to dry and stir only to combine.

Mix together:
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Sprinkle on top of individual muffins before baking.

Bake at 190 C (375 F) for 20 minutes.

(I spray my silicone muffin trays and after baking the muffins I leave them for 5 minutes after they come out of the oven before shaking them out.)

korbo, May 22, 7:56am
when i worked in a girls boarding school kitchen, we made a scone dough, cut into squares, pushed your thumb in the middle to makedent, then they were deep fried.
cant see why you could do the same, then roll them in sugar and cinamon mix.
The girls had bowls of golden syrup to dunk theirs in, tho that was stopped a few years back for obvious reasons.
gee i could really go some just now.all the syrup dripping down ya chin.

wheelz, May 22, 9:14am
What a cliff hanger !!! So good , you keeping the recipe all to yourself?

cookessentials, May 22, 9:52am
Make them in the oven. Tins are on their way.

mybooks, May 22, 10:14am
Would they be fried scones Korbo!

duckmoon, May 22, 10:25am
I remembering using two lids - to make the shape.

top off a bottle for the inner circle. and a jar lid for the bigger one

cgvl, May 22, 11:24am
cooks, have been trying to get silicone doungnut tins for ages, niece who lived in states sent me a recipe and said about these tins you could buy that made the doughnuts with the hole and you baked them instead of deep frying. Sounded yumm but still haven't made them.

lizab, May 22, 7:06pm
lol wheelz - I really wanted to make them a few years ago and found a few recipes, but I can't remember which one was 'the one'!! Sorry!! They were absolutely disgusting anyway ... disgustingly good unfortunately!!! lol

pickles7, May 22, 8:26pm
Bread dough.
baked = bun
fried = doughnut.

There was a mould you could buy at the "open day's" years ago. They came with a recipe, it was a cake-like, mixture. They were deep fried, then you rolled them in cinnamon sugar. A staff member, bought one, used it a few times,then put in the back of the draw.

lizab, May 23, 12:31am
I made doughnuts a few years back now and they were so good, I had to stop making them!

wheelz, May 23, 9:14am
What a cliff hanger ! So good , you keeping the recipe all to yourself!

cgvl, May 23, 11:24am
cooks, have been trying to get silicone doungnut tins for ages, niece who lived in states sent me a recipe and said about these tins you could buy that made the doughnuts with the hole and you baked them instead of deep frying. Sounded yumm but still haven't made them.

lizab, May 23, 7:06pm
lol wheelz - I really wanted to make them a few years ago and found a few recipes, but I can't remember which one was 'the one'! Sorry! They were absolutely disgusting anyway . disgustingly good unfortunately! lol