Tomato help please...

mary-poppins, Feb 16, 3:09am
Can anyone help me with roughly how many tomatoes to a kilo (have a great tomato plant at home) and don't have scales? Just a rough guide for an average sized tomato - fit in the palm of your hand size... Thanks heaps

cookessentials, Feb 16, 4:24am
Mmmm, that's a hard one as some toms are far more dense than others. If you have a pound of butter, hold that in one hand and then tomatoes in the other- that will give you a rough idea of 500g, then do it until you have "weighed" enough.

fisher, Feb 16, 4:44am
Good scheme above... OR... . .
Jump on ya digital bathroom scales with your empty bowl... weigh ya self... add tomatoes until you are a kilo heavier... . lol:}}}}

sooseque, Feb 16, 4:50am
I just weighed an average (medium) sized tomato and it was 140g so around 7+ to the kilo

lythande1, Feb 16, 6:11am
All depends. Cherry tomatoes? Medium tomatoes? Beefsteak tomatoes?

mary-poppins, Feb 16, 7:28am
thanks heaps for your help. did the bathroom scale idea and it worked out at 7. Relish made and tastes awesome :)

raewyn64, Feb 16, 7:38am
mary-poppins would you post your recipe for the relish?

cookessentials, Feb 16, 8:15am
well done fisher... didn't think of THAT one LOL

fisher, Feb 16, 8:20am
well your idea would have worked as well... . didn't have to be THAT accurate... happy outcome so... :}}

donnabeth, Feb 16, 10:04am
fisher wrote:
Good scheme above... OR... . .
Jump on ya digital bathroom scales with your empty bowl... weigh ya self... add tomatoes until you are a kilo heavier... . lol

Oh the embarrassment of taking the cat to the vet and that was how they weighed him. I certainly wasn't expecting a vet to weigh me!

valentino, Aug 13, 6:05pm
Just had a quiet giggle, currently a pregnant cat but need to watch her closely and ensure that she is gaining the right weight as she was quite light to start, use a kitchen scale but only goes up to 3 kilos, so now I add a pack of butter, reset scales to zero, then weigh cat and then to add the weight of butter to get the correct weight, she is progressing well, soon could possibly look at the bathroon scale scenario though... . but only looking at say about 100 to 160 grams increase per weigh in every 3rd day before feeding time in the morning.