Damson plub jam

gloriousgirl01, Jan 31, 7:05am
looking for good recipe

noelinevc, Feb 1, 2:15am
Cook the damsons up with some water as if making stewed plums then for every 600 mls of pulp add 450 grams sugar Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved then boil vigorously until setting point is reached ( you can either use the saucer test or test with a thermometer 104 – 105 Celsius) Depending on the size of your pot it will probably take about 10 minutes. Damsons have heaps of pectin so it is easy to get a good set

beaker59, Feb 4, 6:06am
I make mine pretty much like noelinevc though I sort the plums first to remove any with rot, bird pecks etc usually I just trim off the rotten bit. Then not too much water but stew fruit until well cooked pulp then allow to cool enough to get your hands in strain out the pips with your hands just squeeze them out with your paws :) then add the sugar and cook as Noelinevc says.

uli, Feb 5, 4:39am
Looking for a few trees myself.

samanya, Feb 5, 5:41am
try gardening?

dibble35, Feb 5, 6:33pm
You'll have to come see me Uli, I work at a garden centre - (better not name it), down Kioreroa road and we generally get a good range of pip and stone fruit trees in winter. Not sure what I have ordered in, but give us a ring if you are interested and we can tell you.

norse_westie, Feb 5, 9:54pm
I have some damson plums going free if anyone wants them.

korbo, Feb 6, 6:33am
norse_westie wrote:
I have some damson plums going free if anyone wants them.[/quote ]dam, wished you were closer. Want some to make damson liquer. so tasty.

floralsun, Feb 6, 6:59am
Water isn't needed. heat slowly, stirring often, lots of juice will come out. Bring to a simmer and when the plams are cooked, add some sugar, a cup at a time, tasting each time when it's dissolved, till you get the sweetness you want, adding sugar in smaller amounts till you're happy with the sweetness. Boil well till some tested on a cold dish sets. Bottle, and you have it to enjoy.

juliewn, Feb 13, 10:06am
Wish I lived closer. my favourite plum for jam and paste. :-)

uli, Oct 18, 1:58am
Oi - never thought you had fruit trees, so not just natives?

I bought some so-called "Damson" trees about 20 years ago and they turned out to be little hard . dark blue . fairly bitter items . which I usually pickle. However from pictures I have seen I have yet to find a "real" damson in NZ.
Remember that I used to have a nursery, so I have a fair idea what is what :)
Will come in in a few months time and check out what has been ordered :)