Marshmello slice

korbo, Oct 3, 8:01am
I havent made this for years, and just faniced some, so made the shortcrust base, then didnt have any geletine, so made up the jelly mix. I beat and beat it for at least 15-20 mins. wasn't sure how thick/stiff if should be. Anyway it is ok, just a little too sweet for me, and a bit sticky on the fingers when eating.
any hints or comments.

fifie, Oct 3, 10:39pm
That brings back memories Korbo.Jelly one was usually a lot softer and stickier from memory, and didn't keep as well as the gelatine mix, used to ice with choc icing sometimes. Don't bake nowadays, we have a factory shop that makes lots of baked goodies for the s/markets ,sells lots of slices biccys seconds like marshmallow, choc chippie bics, etc great for families. Mr brings them home sometimes but they are to sweet for me.

cgvl, Oct 4, 1:03am
I use the jelly mix but do add an extra tsp or 2 of gelatin and cut back on the sugar as I too don't like my baking too sweet. Oh and the last lot took ages to beat, had not made it in years and probably wont make it again for some time.

flower-child01, Oct 4, 8:39am
Here is my recipe, and it is delish.
Marshmallow shortcake (jelly version)
Shortcake Base:
4oz (115g) butter
4oz (115g) sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
Marshmallow Topping:
1 packet (85g) of raspberry jelly crystals
2 tsp gelatine powder
1 cup boiling water
4 tbsp sugar
desiccated coconut or chocolate icing (made with chocolate & butter)
Base:
Cream butter and sugar, then add egg and vanilla extract.
Add sifted dry ingredients & salt and fold in to combine. Spread into sponge roll tin lined with baking paper and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Leave to cool
Marshmallow Topping:
Mix the jelly crystals and gelatine powder together in a pot. Add the water and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 mins. Leave to cool down for 5-10 minutes but not yet set and beat at high speed for 10 mins until fluffy.
Spread marshmallow on top of the base. Sprinkle with coconut or cooled chocolate icing.

from bramasole.nz

lynja, Oct 4, 6:05pm
Try this recipe for your marshmallow next time It is easy and perfect every time.

2 heaped tablespoons gelatine
1 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar, (make them just short of the full cup)

Dissolve gelatine in boiling water. Add sugar, Beat with electric beater until thick, fluffy and stiff. Add a few drops of vanilla essence or colouring as desired. Raspberry essence is lovely.

Never fails for me.

korbo, Dec 18, 3:44pm
thanks everyone. will add the geletine next time.