Olive oil -what to choose?

susievb, May 11, 5:06am
If I want some good olive oil for salads, as I have heard some are old, fake or rancid, should I go for NZ or Ausy ones as more chance of good quality?

motorbo, May 11, 5:17am
cold pressed or even better organic, but cold pressed is a must for a better quality and better for your health, as to country or brand i dont think it matters too much

davidt4, May 11, 5:27am
Fresh is best. I mostly use Village Press, which is a NZ extra virgin olive oil of very high quality. Recently I have started also to use Iliada, an excellent Greek extra virgin olive oil, which I keep for dressing salads and vegetables and for mayonnaise as it is delicate and fruity.

bella95, May 11, 7:55am
Don't pay extra for 'cold pressed', any Extra Virgin MUST be cold pressed by law and be the first pressing. I usually buy whichever Italian EVOO is on special. Tend to avoid the Spanish ones though as l was living in Italy when a whole lot of people got poisoned and it still freaks me out. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki-
/Toxic_oil_syndrome)
If you're looking for something special to use for a salad l suggest you taste a few - maybe at a local farmers market and find one you like.

twindizzy, May 11, 12:13pm
Village Press - Barnea

gayle6, Sep 24, 12:42pm
Buy New Zealand which you can do from the supermarket, specialty store or farmers market. Make it is Extra Virgin and the Date Pressed is less than 2 years. Olive oil is not like wine, it deteriorates as months go by so fresh is best.