Excess jam what to do

maclad, Apr 5, 5:51am
with it. Preferably would like to make yummy lunches/snacks for kids and do not want to throw it out, yet. Do not have a dehydrator

rainrain1, Apr 5, 6:12am

karlymouse, Apr 5, 6:18am
Make a good old fashioned jam tart. with pastry and jam. delicious for the winter. use it up in casseroles - add a teaspoon of sweetness to the savory.
Poach some fruit and add a little to the poaching liquid.

franken1, Apr 5, 6:18am
My address is .

nauru, Apr 5, 6:42am
Try adding some of your jam to some sliced/chopped tart apples and use it as a pie filling.

maclad, Apr 5, 6:44am
All great ideas

malcovy, Apr 5, 9:57am
Do you know it freezes very well and when frozen you are able to easily scoop some out.

marcs, Apr 5, 10:51am
Fruit leather. Good lunch box sanx. Need to look up how to make it in the oven

punkinthefirst, Apr 5, 11:24am
Well, if made properly, it keeps. And you probably won't have the fruit to make any more til next summer.
But just off the top of my head, and in no particular order.
You can use it as an ingredient in baking, in puddings, in marinades for meat, as a filling in tarts, to add flavor to stewed fruit, to stick biscuits together - all dependent, of course, on matching flavours Old jam can be made into fruit sauces, leathers, etc. A spoonful in a curry lifts the flavor.
Tray bakes which include jam include Alison Holst's cherry slice, louise cake, albert squares. there are loads of them out there. Sieve a small amount and add some brandy to make a decadent icecream sauce or pancake topping. You are limited only by your imagination.

ccoffee, Apr 5, 11:29am
Apricot jam is great to replace honey or brown sugar
when making toasted muesli - melt with a bit of water, and stir in all ingredients. Toast in the oven. I always use left over jam this way. ( we aren't big jam eaters, so often after having visitors there is part of a jar needs to be used.)

lythande1, Apr 5, 7:58pm
Donate to local food bank

buzzy110, Apr 5, 8:58pm
This. I am still using jam and jellies I made way back in 2009 and they are as good as new.

shamarick, Apr 9, 10:19am
Add jam onto the sponge of trifles, spread onto piklets, pancakes and scones .Make scrolls up wiyh different flavoured jams. Make muffins and add jam in the centre.

sarahb5, Apr 9, 10:37am
This .

katherine4, Apr 13, 11:21pm
Cider

sarahb5, Apr 14, 2:39am
How do you make cider out of jam?

uli, Apr 14, 6:06am
I am at a bit of a loss as to what "Excess jam" is?

If you made jam to the age old recipe of 1kg of fruit to 1kg of sugar you can keep it for decades. The only thing that goes off up here in the relentless humidity is the lids of the jars LOL

Of course if you made jam to a "modern recipe" with agar agar or other thickeners to reduce sugar content then you might have to freeze it to help it not going off.

In that case you can fill pancakes with it (the old rolling up way) or make cakes or biscuits etc with it. Depending on what jam it is you can use it for cooking with meat too.

buzzy110, Apr 15, 11:01pm
Usually I am good at figuring stuff out but it was not till I read this small comment that I understood why some of my lids are showing signs of surface rust and are less pristine than when I first stored them, while the insides are still unblemished. Must keep an eye on them.

bisloy, Oct 2, 6:03pm
I agree with Karlymouse . jam tarts!