Celophane jam lids

korbo, Jan 14, 9:27am
was at the dairy the other day and a customer wanted the green packet of celophane lids to go on jam.
Shopkeeper told her that they don't make them anymore.
Anyone know the answer.
I mean, what else would you cover jam/pickles with.

245sam, Jan 14, 9:43pm
korbo, I have just checked Countdown's website and they still have those jam covers so I'm wondering how correct the 'shopkeeper's' advice really was?
If not able to use the cellophane covers or lids such as on bought jam jars IMO wax would be another option for covering jam/pickles. :-))

marcs, Jan 15, 2:12am
If I am to use cellophane covers for my jars (these are old jars so lids are not sealing) how would I go about it?

245sam, Jan 15, 3:26am
marcs, are you able to get these cellophane covers?

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/SearchProducts%3Fsearch%3Djam%2Bcovers

I haven't used them for a number of years (because we rarely eat jam so I don't make any) but I well remember that all that was needed to use those covers was a saucer of water, the covers and accompanying rubber bands and of course, the freshly made jam/marmalade. From memory it was simply a matter of a quick dip of each cover in the water, and I always endeavoured to wet only one side of each cover (the side that will be uppermost), then place the cover over the jar of jam or marmalade and secure it with a rubber band. As the jam/marmalade cools the cellophane loses its crinkles and becomes taut.

Hope that helps. :-))

marcs, Nov 4, 7:58am
Thanks 245sam. I will give it a got next time I make jam. We go through I bit of it with kids being young and I have lost the taste for supermarket jam. I find them very sweet with no fruit flavour. I will have a look in our local Woolworths in Perth and see if they have it.