Lemon Honey question.

Page 1 / 2
korbo, Jun 3, 2:08am
further to my post at begining. made some lemon honey 2 weeks ago, looked at it today, and a splog of mould in the jar. Now, wondering if it is the water in the butter. who would know?
Anyway made a batch using limes today. got 2 small jars with 2 cups of sugar.( Not good for my diabetes.) Seems to have set ok.
Now thinking about the acid in the lemons, our tree which produces all year round is about 40ys, and the lemons are big like apples, and very juicy.
Maybe I need a different type of lemon. have no idea what our one is.

sarahb5, Jun 5, 8:37am
How odd and annoying that it has happened again. I’ve never had any go mouldy. I assume you are putting the mix into warm glass jars and placing lids only loosely over the neck of the jar until the mixture is cooled a little? I find I get quite a good vacuum seal this way so that the lid pops when I open it, and no condensation inside the lid.

sarahb5, Jun 5, 8:45am
So like lemon meringue pie in a slice tin?

pickles7, Jun 16, 10:48pm
Could you please post your recipe. sarahb5 . I have misplaced it

kaddiew, Jun 16, 11:00pm
I'm not sarahb5. but this one I've made for 20+ years, and posted many times in Recipes.

Microwave Lemon Honey

2 eggs plus 1 yolk
1/2 cup sugar
juice & zest of 2 lemons

Lightly whisk eggs, add rest of ingredients. Microwave on High on 30 second bursts, whisking in between, for 2-3 mins.

Keep in fridge; freezes well. I often double or triple the recipe.

pickles7, Jun 16, 11:14pm
Thank you . kaddiew. for the recipe, I am looking for an eggless recipe I think sarahb5,,, may have posted.

cgvl, Jun 16, 11:28pm
pickles7 this is one I got from my mil.

Juice 6 lemons
finely grated rind of lemons if desired
2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons cornflour
4oz Butter (114g approx)

Mix a little of the lemon juice with the cornflour and set aside.
Put the rest into a double boiler (bowl over a pot of simmering water).
Bring to the boil.
Stir in cornflour mix and continue to stir until thickened.
Pour into sterilised jars and seal.
I keep it in the fridge.

pickles7, Jun 16, 11:43pm
Yes that looks good , thank you.

sarahb5, Jun 17, 1:24am
I'm just about to go out but will look it up for you when I get back - hopefully I can find it because lemons are $4 a kilo at Countdown this week so I'll be making some myself!

pickles7, Jun 17, 4:32am
thank you . sarahb5. If I remember your recipe is cooked in the mic

sarahb5, Jun 17, 9:56pm
I have found 2 - they are butter free but not egg free

In a microwave jug place juice and zest of 3 lemons, 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 3 eggs. Whisk well. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, whisk again. Microwave for another minute then whisk. Continue microwaving in 30 second bursts until thick enough.

Or
Whisk 2 eggs and 1 yolk. Add 1/2 cup sugar, juice and zest of 2 large lemons. Microwave in 30 second bursts until thick, whisking between.

I think I usually use the second one because it has less sugar. I have some low calorie sugar at the moment that you can bake with so I might try it with that this time.

pickles7, Jun 17, 11:15pm
Thank you for posting those recipes. sarahb5. It may have been. cvgl. who posted the egg free recipe months ago then, I made the egg free recipe . cvgl. posted last night in the microwave, it was nice. The texture is not the same as the recipe using eggs, but very good all the same. I had to add another 2 Tablespoons of cornflour to make it thicker and cooked it till it was clear. I cooked it on full power using 30 second bursts, stirring after each 30 seconds. It was a very good consistency this morning.

pickles7, Jun 17, 11:23pm
My lemon tree is full of lemons this year after a brutal pruning 2 years ago, that near ended in murder, I have been told I am going to have to prune the apple trees this year, even after all the praise he has got for all the lemons this year. I may just pass the job onto my son while the old fella is out later today.

buzzy110, Jun 18, 12:01am
You wouldn't have a photo of your lemon tree after it was pruned by any chance? I have just planted a Lisbon Lemon tree. I discovered that they grow tall very fast and the lemons are all out of reach. I want to avoid that if I can and was wondering just how to prune it.

sarahb5, Jun 18, 12:49am
We had a fabulous old lemon tree at our last rental - big ugly lemons but really juicy. I haven't got around to planting one in our new house yet but I see lots of houses with fully laden lemon trees where the fruit is just rotting on the ground - such a waste!

pickles7, Jun 18, 2:59am
no buzzy110 no pic of the tree, it was so hard I thought it would die. Last year it probably only had 6 lemons, with a bit of ''I told you'' from me. This year it is covered with fruit. lol.
Kawarau has a huge lot of lemon trees on the side of a road for residents to help themselves too. You could always find a lemon to use. We used to have our favourite trees when we lived there. They also had a huge herb garden you could pick from. I have 3 lemon trees growing in my front garden I intend to let folk pick from if they need a lemon when they start to produce fruit. I will put in another 2 trees this year.
sarahb5. why not just ask for a few lemons, people never mind and often just don't think to offer. My daughter saw her neighbour pick off her feijoas using a nail on the end of a long stick, another idea. lol.

standard, Jun 22, 12:56am
Lemons are $2.99kg at New World today :-) Bring on the lemon honey

samanya, Jun 23, 2:23am
I made your recipe & it's lovely . thanks.
I added the juice of a big fat juicy lime lime to the lemon juice & it's turned out with just enough sharpness to offset the sugar hit.

korbo, Sep 18, 4:22am
Hadnt made any for a few years, as the last time it went mouldy.
Made some in August, and just gone to use it and it is mouldy.

Do you keep it in the fridge?
I made one lot in m/wave, and cooked for the time said.
One lot on the stove.

What is going wrong with it.?
thanks

whitehead., Sep 18, 4:44am
it only lasts a couple of weeks in the fridge .ive had it go mouldy too

wheelz, Sep 18, 5:17am
I make the microwave one, but do lime instead. Mine lasts way more than a month in the fridge! Never had mould.
Make sure your jars and lids are very clean!

sarahb5, Sep 18, 5:54am
I make the microwave one and keep it in the fridge - lasts about 4 weeks. Do you sterilise your jars and lids?

hjrtraders, Sep 18, 7:12am
Freeze it. just as good when thawed.

valentino, Sep 18, 7:44am
Mine does not go mouldy, but after a year or so - some tend to go a little bit sugary - crystalised mainly on the top portion, the bottom bit is still great. Always stored in the fridge and I do not use the Microwave method but the double bowl/pot method.

Yep ensure the jars and lids are steralised.

Here is the recipe I used and even my daughter in the USA has it and they love it over there.

Lemon Spread

Secret is to whisk the eggs fully before adding
other ingredients and to constantly stir
and whisk until the butter
has melted fully and is on low heat and
not to curdle the egg mixture.

Makes about 2 cups;

3 larger eggs like size 7 at least well beaten with a whisk,
1 cup (slightly heaped) sugar,
1 heaped tablespoon very finely grated fresh lemon rind,
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (pips removed),
60 grams butter chopped into small cubes.

Combine all ingredients in a heatproof bowl
that will fit into a saucepan and above
on simmering water on low to medium heat.
Constantly whisking the mixture until thickens
and coats the back of a spoon.
Remove from heat and pour into warm
steralised jars, then put lids on.
When cooled, labelled etc, store in refrigerator overnight
before using, keep in fridge to store.

This is very nice and very smooth if done precisely.

One can multiply this recipe to suit.

Cheers

whitehead., Sep 18, 7:45am
now days i only make it when i need a plate for some thing i make short bread cups and put a tea spoon of lemon or lime honey in them and a table spoon of whipped cream on top . they go out the door . last time i made them for a barn party and the males in the party pinched the plate and disappered around the back till they were all gone .so i had to make more for clean up the next day