Edmonds book differences

kinna54, Oct 25, 2:05am
Bah! I am P*ssed off. should've known better. grabbed out the Edmonds book to do some baking. I have 2 copies an old 1976 which is falling apart, and so I replaced with a newer edition. anyway I just grabbed out the new book cos it was on top of the pile and made the Kisses recipe. Well they are definitely not up to the usual standard. I checked against the 2 recipes. Butter amount identical, eggs and sugar identical, then noticed: old recipe says 125 gms flour, 125 gms cornflour. new recipe says 1 cup flour, 1 cup cornflour. one cup of flour weighs 165 gms on my scales. * so with the extra 80 gms or more of dry ingredients* including the extra cornflour weight* these lumps pictured are the result. FGS Edmonds why can't you transpose something correctly. these mistakes are costly. . and considering the new cookbooks retail at around $40 I am not impressed.
This is not the first time I have noticed a mistake or difference.
I am sick of correcting their mistakes. I am going to email them. They state "The trustd name in food" I dispute that statement now. they are not the greats they were.
The birds will now get a feed.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/420831196.jpg

uli, Oct 25, 2:29am
Poor girl!
Why not e-mail it to them - they are unlikely to see it here you know!

kinna54, Oct 25, 3:00am
i have. as posted in post #1.

kay141, Oct 25, 3:05am
Not good, they look more like rock cakes than kisses.

Good luck with the email. I'd be interested in the response as so many companies just seem to ignore any complaints.

rainrain1, Oct 25, 4:38am
lol at your cakes

mousiemousie, Oct 25, 6:20am
1 cup of flour should equal 120 grams if it is measured correctly. So recipe has been transcribed correctly. Unfortunately this is what happens when baking using cups instead of weighing ingredients. You could weigh 5 cups of flour and get 5 different weights.

kay141, Oct 25, 6:31am
Not according to the conversion charts I have. they all list 1 measuring cup of flour as 150g.

From www.annabel-langbein.com/
1 cup flour (plain) 150g 5 oz

buzzy110, Oct 26, 3:06am
I sympathise entirely with your anger and feelings disgruntlement.

kinna54, Oct 26, 4:06am
I weighed my standard measuring cup (tupperware) 250 ml. I weighed it twice on my digital scales. it definitely comes out as 165 grams. and it was high grade flour. someone tried to tell me once that plain flour weighs heavier. if the measurements had stayed in grams there wouldn't be a problem. interstingly I am going to re bake later. from the old book. we will see the difference. and I will send them pics.

kay141, Oct 26, 4:09am
Did you weight the cup, as well?

I agree a cup is not 125g but all the NZ conversions online say 150g per cup.

griffo4, Oct 26, 4:58am
l don't know why they can't put it in cups and the grams weight in brackets so you have a choice

l no longer use the new books just stick with my old faithful all tattered and marked

bcnd, Oct 26, 5:05am
I use the weights or cups as a general guide line. You can usually tell with the consistency of the mixture whether you need to add a wee bit more of liquid or dry.

ycart3, Oct 26, 5:06am
A cup of all-purpose flour, properly measured, should weigh 120 grams. The flour measured incorrectly by dipping the measuring cup into the flour can weigh anywhere from 150-160 grams. Try it out! That's like 30% more flour than the recipe needs!

kay141, Oct 26, 5:09am
Where did you get that information from? If it was a USA site, their cups are smaller than the usual NZ one.

ycart3, Oct 26, 5:11am
I googled "what does a cup of flour weigh" and that was the first thing to come up.

kay141, Oct 26, 5:20am
I think it may be a USA answer.

All the NZ ones say 150g.

uli, Aug 12, 5:00pm
Try sifting the flour and then weighing it and try digging your cup into sack of flour and then weighing that. Guaranteed to make at least 30g difference.