Wanting advice about a salad I just had .

karlymouse, Sep 21, 6:33am
it contained cabbage, what looked like broken up crisped noodles. perhaps fried shallots (not 100% sure) and a dressing which was delicious. Perhaps it sounds familiar to someone. sorry no other clues

daarhn, Sep 21, 6:47am
Perhaps a crispy noodle salad with sesame seed dressing?

Google crispy noodle salad and see if pics or ingredients look familiar.

sampa, Sep 21, 6:54am
You have one more clue that you could offer karleymouse. where did you enjoy this mystery salad? If it was in someones home then, obviously, you could just ask for the recipe but it sounds like you ate it out somewhere? Might be helpful to know where to help narrow things down if that was the case.

nzpcltd, Sep 21, 6:58am
This maybe. I think the original recipe mentioned shallots
1/2 cabbage, finely shredded
4-6 spring onions
1 cup sunflower seed
1 cup slivered almonds
1-2 packets crispy noodles
DRESSING
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
1T soy sauce
METHOD
roast seeds and nuts till light brown. shake dressing ingredients and pour over remaining ingredients all mixed
together just before serving. i dont tend to use all that sugar.

karlymouse, Sep 21, 7:33am
Yes perhaps it would help to say I purchased it as a take out salad from Wobbly Goat cafe in Outram.

karlymouse, Sep 21, 7:35am
Thanks. I will try that.

sarahb5, Sep 21, 7:40am
I make one very similar to this that also has 2 sliced capsicum in it as well

karlymouse, Sep 21, 7:50am
So does it matter what flavour instant noodles. is the flavour sachet used ?

kay141, Sep 21, 7:53am
The recipe calls for crispy noodles not instant noodles. They are usually by the noodles in the supermarket and the bags are labelled crispy noodles. They are fatter, and already crisp.

sarahb5, Sep 21, 8:38am
This - I usually use the oriental flavour

karlymouse, Sep 21, 8:46am
OK thanks. I got mixed up when reading online they called the Ramen noodles which I thought were the instant noodles we have

nzpcltd, Sep 21, 9:48am

dibble35, Sep 21, 9:51am
My sister used to make a nice 'salad' which was sliced cabbage, dry broken up 2 minute noodles and a dressing. It was actually really nice for how simple it was. If you have no joy OP with the recipe you already have i'll post this one up.

karlymouse, Sep 21, 9:56am
Ok the plot thickens. as the noodles in this one I tried today was sometimes three joined together, very small pieces so they probably used the instant noodles

dibble35, Sep 21, 10:00am
http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/7104/2-minute-noodle-salad

This is similar to the one my sister made without the bacon pieces, almonds etc - hers was plainer, this one fancier, but the dressing and rest looks about right.
ETA - her noodles wernt cooked at all, they just soaked up the dressing over a few hours and became slightly softer but still with a bit of bite

awoftam, Sep 21, 10:05am
Have you asked the café if they will share the recipe?

nauru, Sep 21, 10:06am
These are the ones that I use in a noodle type salad with a sesame dressing or I also use them as a garnish on green or any salad. You can get them in chicken flavour too.

awoftam, Sep 21, 10:06am
OP, have you asked the café if they will share the recipe? Many do and it is a wonderful compliment you are paying them.

karlymouse, Sep 21, 10:08am
Thank you. this sounds very similar. there was an intriguing flavour which must have come from the noodle flavour I suspect

rainrain1, Sep 21, 7:27pm
Just break the two minute noodles up small into your usual slaw, add the flavour sachet to your dressing, along with 2Tblsp toasted sesame seeds. you don't cook the noodles

karlymouse, Oct 11, 5:46pm
Next time I am out there I will ask. I bought it as a take out salad so didn't know what it tasted like until later and 1/2 and hour away from place.