Freestanding stove with gas hob - ideas?

jacquie05, Jan 4, 4:57am
I'm looking at getting a new stove - it has to be freestanding, 90cm wide. We don't have a good enough power supply to get an induction cooktop, and I'm frankly too forgetful and messy to be able to keep a ceramic cooktop in good nick - I've already ruined one in my life! So it's a gas hob for me. The reviews of Smeg are pretty awful, I've had a Parmco and it seemed to deteriorate really quickly - it was constantly being fixed. I can't afford one of the top end ones (although I'd love one of the old-looking ones! ). The current one is a real pain to clean as it has ridges between the elements, so something that is easy to wipe down is on my wish list. I'd be really grateful if you'd share your oven recommendations and warnings!

farwest, Jan 4, 5:09am

fifie, Jan 4, 7:05am
Gas one with a flat hob for easy cleaning, brilliant quick cooking great for stirfrys. Mine is a English one, electric oven, gas easy clean hob,and a fold down splash guard love it.

survivalkiwi, Jan 4, 7:11am
We are going bosch in the new house. Currently have parmco never ever again. Love gas hobs quick and efficient.

skippie1, Jan 5, 1:49am
Have a 90cmFalcon here, love it. Gas hobs two electric ovens and a separate grill oven.
Edited to say, have 4 gas cooking and 1 large fitting that fits a wok.

wheelz, Jan 5, 7:50am
90 cm Bosch here. love it!
I had ceramic tiles cut to size to fit over each hob, and just uncover the one/s I need to cook, saves a lot of cleaning from spits and spatters, plus gives extra "bench" space.

skippie1, Jan 5, 10:29am
Wheels, that's a good idea, could I have a picture of what those tiles look like. I'm using hardened glass cutting boards to cover what I'm not using, but still find the cleaning a bother and you idea might be better. Thanks in advance.

jacquie05, Jan 7, 5:27am
Sorry - I got distracted by gardening so haven't been back online! That's a brilliant idea about the ceramic tiles. One of the sad truths about buying a new oven is that I've had to confront my lack of cooking skills, lol. Much as I'd love one of the beautiful 'entertainers' setups, I've had to acknowledge that I very rarely bake, so the main uses are for roasts, cooking veges, and boiling the kettle for a cuppa. I'm going to keep an eye out for sales and see what I can pick up. So jealous about the Falcon - they look amazing!

burmese1, Jan 7, 8:18am
I looooove my smeg

biggles45, Jan 8, 8:27am
We have a Baumatic and love it. The cream one on this page - http://www.appliancist.com/ranges/baumatic-cooking-theatre-range-cookers-royal-chiantishire.html - it is an excellent stove - not sure who supplies them here (was in the house when we bought it) but think Harvey Norman can get them to order.

jia5, Feb 3, 2:08am
You have just about reduced me to tears, lol. We have just moved and I had to leave my bosch behind, boohooo, and guess what I have in the new house. Yes you guessed it. a parmco, sniff, sniff.