icing

sonyahare, Apr 27, 12:42am
just wondering for a different taste instead of cocoa could i use drinking chocolate mint flavour. what are your thoughts

cookessentials, Apr 27, 12:46am
yes, I think you could or you could add a little peppermint essence to a standard chocolate icing to give you a similar flavour.

sonyahare, Apr 27, 1:00am
ok thankyou

lindi4, Apr 27, 1:58am
Do you think icing is best if not the budget icing sugar brands used and do you beat the hell out of it with the egg beater?

mismuffet, Mar 8, 1:11am
Good question about the Icing Sugar Brands, I would normally not use a budget brand due to the higher content of tapioca flour (or such like) in it, I've also struck the odd bad batch of my normal icing sugar which contain 3% but can give me very grainey icing. At the end of the day if you are icing a cake for a special occassion I would advise to perhaps not use the budget brand icing sugar, if your icing something for the school lunches or work lunch box will they know or care! As for beating it, my recipe for butter icing has me beat the butter on its own first for a few minutes and after adding half of the icing sugar, milk and flavouring beat again for another couple of minutes and again after adding the balance of icing sugar. I find it gives me a nicer consistancy. Find what works best for you. :)