Does anyone have a tasty recipe for Kumera Rosti.

wendywooz, Mar 2, 6:22pm
I am looking for a kumera rosti recipe that is vegetarian and would be lovely serverd up with lamb or a vegetarian meal.Thanks.

davidt4, Mar 2, 8:45pm
Make the same way as potato roesti.Kumara will burn more easily than potatoes, so keepan eye on them and turn the heat down if they are browning too quickly.

uli, Mar 2, 9:35pm
Roesti is always vegetarian.

I have made a mix of potato, carrot and kumara once with plenty of onions and they came out similar to what you get in some sushi shops. Very tasty.

The original recipe is for raw potatoes, but there also versions around with pre-boiled potatoes.

This is a good example:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/oct/13/how-to-cook-perfect-rosti

lilyfield, Mar 2, 10:26pm
uli- I for once would like to disagrree with you
I have worked many years including my apprenticeship in the swiss hotel trade and never have I heard of roesti with raw potatoes until I came to NZ

elliehen, Mar 2, 11:25pm
Forgive her, lilyfield, she's only human and clearly now almost one of us ;)

skippie1, Mar 3, 12:03am
I have always made my rosti with raw potato.

elliehen, Mar 3, 1:36am
It's almost a Swiss National dish and. "There are different views on what makes a perfect rösti. The greatest difference of opinion is whether to use raw or boiled potatoes as the main ingredient."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B6sti

lilyfield, Mar 3, 1:41am
nice link -ellie. its never too late to learn something. i still prefer the cooked spuds version, preferably with 2 days old cooked potatoes

uli, Mar 3, 8:05am
I am not worried if you disagree with me - I sometimes disagree with you too LOL :)

However I grew up in a city 10 minutes from Switzerland and I have never had any roesti with cooked potatoes. Neither in a restaurant nor in a private Swiss household. Maybe the restaurants you worked in did a shortcut! As it takes almost 30 minutes to do a slow cooked raw roesti.

lilyfield, Mar 3, 8:24am
Yes, that could have been the reason, and at home we cooked extra the day before, power savings---
Where did you grow up btw! Schwarxwald or Bregenz region!

uli, Mar 3, 8:26am
Southeast - so 10 mins to Switzerland 5 minutes to France :)

wendywooz, Mar 3, 9:04am
Thank you all for the advise and tips will give it a try.

gr8stuf4me, Mar 7, 9:47pm
Do you have a recipe for such delicousness - I would really like a recipe as I dont have one for the cooked potatoes version but I much prefer it also. TIA

uli, Mar 7, 10:54pm
I gave a link in post #3 for a parboiled roesti recipe.

Here it is again:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/oct/13/how-to-cook-perfect-rosti

2 medium-sized waxy potatoes
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp goose fat

1. Parboil the potatoes in salted water until just tender, but not soft. Allow to cool, and chill for at least a couple of hours.

2. Coarsely grate the potatoes and season. Heat half the fat in a small, heavy-based frying pan until sizzling, and then add the grated potato, allow to cook for a couple of minutes and then shape it into a flat cake, pressing down as lightly as possible. Allow to cook for a couple of minutes, then gently shake the pan to loosen the potato.

3. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes until golden and crisp, then place a plate on top of the pan and invert it so the cake sits, cooked-side up, on the plate.

4. Add the rest of the butter and goose fat to the pan and, when hot, slide the potato cake back into the pan the other way up. Cook for another 10 minutes, then serve.

shop-a-holic, Mar 8, 8:52am
Rosti or Roesti.
Sarreguemines or Saargemund.
One occupation or many occupations.

Uli; you wont find a potato, carrot or kumera version in a sushi shop.

skippie1, Mar 8, 9:21am
shop-a-holic, today I bought a vegetable Rosti, if I am allowed to call that, in a Sushi shop, it was very nice and very much like a potato Rosti. Some foods do go across cultures.

uli, Mar 9, 1:00am
This is quite funny, cause I eat them there all the time. I could have made a pic today when I ate one :)

They are made with a mix of onions, carrot and potato with a very tiny bit of flour or starch to keep it together and shaped into a small round - as big as a hand - and they usually have 3 or 4 shrimp on the top.

Keep a look-out. I suspect they are Korean rather than Japanese though!

hestia, Mar 9, 1:30am
Kakiage is a mixed vegetable tempura, and can include shrimp or squid in the ingredients. It is made with batter.

elliehen, Mar 9, 3:16am
There it is, hestia's correct - Japanese.I hadn't heard of them either.

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/tempura/r/tempurakakiage.htm

rainrain1, Mar 9, 4:53am
Raw potato, by far the best way.that's how to get the most delicious crispy perfect roesti

uli, Mar 9, 7:37am
Yes I think so too - however I have posted a "par-boiled" recipe too for the lazy people - seems to have backfired .

. like most of my recipes on here LOL :)

Or any of my posts .

elliehen, Mar 9, 9:32am
Don't get discouraged.As many have pointed out to you, it's not the message that's the problem, it's the medium.

Your recipes are well received; your put-downs are not.And here you go again, insulting people by calling those who choose to par-boil "lazy".