Uncrumbed Weiner Snitzel & Spuds

nettie14, Sep 16, 3:55am
Ok, need some inspiration - can crumb the snitzel but some other tasty ideas would be good - hubby peeled the spuds but need inspiration for these too - not keen on mashed spud!

olwen, Sep 16, 4:09am
Scalloped potatoes.Slice them thin (a mandoline works well), and layer wit sliced onion and dot with butter. (Season between the layers) Pour cream (canuse milk or stock) over halfway up.Dot with butter or top with grated cheese and bake at 180 for about an hour (check they are cooked with a knife.)

245sam, Sep 16, 4:14am
nettie14, are you wanting to stove-top or oven or ! cook the schnitzels and potatoes!Are the potatoes big, small, already cut into pieces or !
With those items, especially as you don't want "mashed spud" I would be using the oven and with the schnitzels make

Baked Schnitzel Rolls Modified
1 packet soup mix (I use French Onion or Oxtail)
1½ cups water
mustard (mild, hot, grainy) - whatever you have and like
herbs (I usually use dried mixed or thyme but whatever is available and preferred)
toothpicks
per person: 1 thinly cut beef slice/schnitzeland 1 crustless thinly cut slice bread (white, wheaten, grain…)

In an ovenproof dish mix the soup mix and water, ensuring that there are no lumps.Bring the soup mix-gravy to the boil in the microwave whilst stirring it every minute or so.Allow the gravy to cool.
Lay the meat on a flat surface and quite generously spread each slice with mustard.Place 1 bread slice on each meat slice.Sprinkle the bread with herbs (not too generously).In the same way as one would roll spring rolls, fold the sides of the meat in (if sufficiently big enough) and roll the meat whilst encasing the bread.Secure the rolls with toothpicks.Place the rolls in the gravy and cover the dish.
Bake at160°C-180°Cfor1-1½ hours – the time will depend mainly on the size of the meat rolls.
I modified the original recipe as I visualised the bread on the outside of the rolls (as in the original recipe) becoming mushy and thickening the gravy rather than being a filling/’stuffing’ for the meat.

With the peeled potatoes, if they're still whole and 1 per person size, I suggest hassel-backed potatoes - do you know what I mean by those!
If the potatoes are small or already cut into small pieces, I suggest roasting them as is or slicing or grating them to make a potato bake or similar.

Hope that helps.:-))

fifie, Sep 16, 4:33am
Baked Schnitzel.
Trayplain or crumbed. ( Preferred Crumbed browns crispy better)
Favourite chutney,( I use tomato relish) sliced onion,sliced tomato,1 Tsp crushed ginger, sprinkle curry powder, grated cheese 1 tblsp oil.
Lightly brown schnitzel both sides in a pan.In a bowl put sliced onion oil,curry, garlic, seasoning, ginger, toss to coat. Spread chutney over meal size pieces of Schnitzel then spoonsome onion mixture on top , top with a few slices tomato then sprinkle with grated cheese, and lastly gr black pepper. Put ingreased oven proof dish and cover with foil bake around 160 3/4 hour, take off foil and brown top till golden and crust. Serve with a side salad and baked potato

lilyfield, Sep 16, 4:51am
Wiener Schnitzel