Soap

dons14, Jul 7, 4:21am
Has anyone here had a go at making there own! Id like to give it a try. Does anyone here have a nice easy recipe that works and advise on where you can buy the ingredients - I think you need lye! Thanx

pickles7, Jul 7, 6:24am
You tube will be the best place. I have made a lot of soap, just too lazy to type it up.You tube give you lots of different methods, and you can watch it being made.

dons14, Jul 7, 7:16am
Thanx pickles but where did you get the lye!

samanya, Jul 7, 7:18am
Try crafts & hobbies, there's sure to be someone there who can point you in the right direction.

pickles7, Jul 7, 7:45am
You can buy lye, at Mitre 10.
You will not make soap without it. I used to have a nice little recipe, it only made 6 bars, but I have lost it over the years.

making soap, you really do need to see it being made to understand what "tracing" is.

makespacenow, Jul 7, 7:48am
Yes. Made soap. First just melt an pour as the sound of lye made me nervous. Then bought couple of books that show it step by strp in photos. They are great! Last much longer than the detergent chemical nasty stuff ones from supermarket. Lye . You can get caustic soda from soapmaking suppliers like soapcraft or gonative etc. They sell lot of other stuff too. My 6y old now makes own lip balms, body butters, body melts, bath salts, bath bombs body massage bars(lush types like iccy wiccy).
I do get some stuff from overseas websites but most from around here and what I have in the kitchen or growing in the garden.
Give it a go OP

accroul, Jul 7, 9:38am
I got my lye (Sodium Hydroxide) from RD1 last time I needed it - Mitre10 & Bunnings didn't have it at the purity required for soapmaking. It is important to make sure you WEIGH all your ingredients and put them in the right places at the right time - for example you ALWAYS put the lye into water (never water into lye - like I read recently).
Other than the lye, to make a very basic soap, you can get all your ingredients from the supermarket.
I generally use http://summerbeemeadow.com/content/lye-calculator-and-recipe-resizer to calculate my lye & water requirements and here I can also adjust my batch size for my mold.

pickles7, Jul 7, 9:57am
I found this recipe for you to try. Only makes 4 bars.
http://barbsbackyard.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/lard-soap-recipe.html

I have not made that recipe myself, but intend to. good luck.
Remember the soap will need to cure, before you use it.
I may make my lot tomorrow if I have enough fat

pickles7, Jul 7, 10:07am
I have used that site as well, I ended up with heaps of soap.
For home use it is better to make smaller lots of different soaps. I will post a pic of mine as soon as I have made it

pickles7, Jul 8, 6:06am
I have it tucked up in a blanket for the next 24 hours. I did not put the lid on, just put it on top sideways to stop the blanket from falling in.

fibertrix, Jul 8, 7:53am
Cuastic soda is available from RD1 CRT or any farmers suppliers.
BE WARNED: it is very strong and should be used with care,

accroul, Jul 8, 9:24am
http://summerbeemeadow.com/content/lye-calculator-and-recipe-resizer
pity you didn't find the recipe resizer on that site then pickles7. It follows through after the water/lye calc's on the second page. I can use it to scale any recipe down to a size that suits my custom mold - about the size of a 500g block of butter.

pickles7, Jul 8, 9:57am
I have used that site before.accroul. I used to make up my own recipe's using that site. It is very good. I was looking for something easy for a learner to try. I used lard for that lot. I am reluctant to put up an untried recipe, thought that was a fare recipe, looking at the soap in the pic. So far it is good, soap has set.
I love using my soap, I have gone back to using it over liquid soap

pickles7, Aug 1, 6:38am
This soap has turned out very well, I have been using it for two days now. It hardened up very well and it makes a nice lather.