We Don't Have to Buy It Cos We Can Make It Thread!

Page 47 / 48
spunkeymonkey, Jun 15, 6:14am
Thank you katalin2 another recipe had to be found on this thread why is it that all the other threads do not bring out all the old fashion simple and easy to use with simple step by step methods, i really love this thread thanks again juliewn

kokopuff, Jun 15, 7:20am
Help dont have time to look through everything to look for a recipe but i have been at the hospital with my son for 3mths so the shower isnt looking to good it is formica walls and they are looking abit grey at the bottom what is the best thing to clean them its pretty well baked on lol. And the ceiling is looking abit mouldy what would be the best thing for that as well. Thanks in advanced.

spunkeymonkey, Jun 15, 7:59am
I really love this thread and as one can see i am on page 6 or 7 but my posts are on page 19. awsum reading

spunkeymonkey, Jun 15, 8:23am
ok so where are the instructions,would really like to give it a go

spunkeymonkey, Jun 15, 8:28am
me second this too please even the simple basic steps of how to make soap from go to woe

spunkeymonkey, Jun 15, 9:14am
and i was about to ask for an oven cleaner and here yet again is in this thread, awsum thread

spunkeymonkey, Jun 22, 6:29am
I am going to be dumb here but we are talking about the lemon leaves from on a lemon tree because if we are i have a huge lemon tree at the back of my garage i can use

juliewn, Jul 2, 7:28am
Hi. I store it in a glass jar in my fridge. it goes a little harder, soon softens on hot toast!

juliewn, Jul 2, 7:48am
Hi. This is my favourite soup. great flavour, however I don't know if it's similar to what you're looking for. it was given to me by a friend who's Mum had passed it down to her, hence the imperial measurements. good that most scales have both imperial and metric measurements.

Tomato Soup

Prepare and place into a large pan:

12 lb tomatoes chopped
1 & 1/2 teaspoons pepper
7 sprigs parsley
4 large onions chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 level tablespoons salt

Bring to a boil, then boil for 45 minutes, or until well cooked.
Once well cooked, put through a mouli or sieve

Return the mix to the pan and bring slowly to a boil. Boil 10 minutes, stirring often, then bottle or freeze.

If you prefer a thicker soup, melt 1/2 lb butter in a pan, add 3 tablespoons flour and mix till smooth.
Stir into the tomato mix, whisking to blend it in. Boil 10 minutes, stirring often then bottle or freeze.

If preferred, the soup can be thinned with milk when heating to serve.

juliewn, Jul 2, 7:51am
Thanks :-). I'm glad the recipes have been of help for you. add some of your own if you'd like to.

kokopuff, Jul 3, 11:34pm
Any one know how to get orange fanta stain out of carpet!

juliewn, Jul 26, 3:27am
For those wanting to begin- or to continue - growing your own vegetables and fruits, the NZ Gardener magazine has a free weekly email titled 'Get Growing" that is sent each Friday afternoon. The email gives suggestions and advice on growing, harvesting and using our own produce, and people can email with questions too. There are competitions and giveaways also, plus you can email in with answers to other reader's questions. To sign up (you just need your name and email address) this is the link: http://www.nzgardener.co.nz/page.asp!id=31 The weekly emails can also be read at the bottom of the page using the same link to their website.

simony1, Aug 9, 6:56am
also go to this site its awwwwwwwwesome, http://www.instructables.com it tells you how to make anything out of anything, love it

wizardoo, Aug 13, 4:26am
I also add a bit of condense milk

village.green, Aug 13, 9:29am
Hair rinse/conditioner.
Apologies if this has already been posted.
I don't colour my hair therefore not sure how it would go on that but about once a week or fortnight (when I remember) I get an empty 250ml shampoo bottle or jug and put in 1/4 cup cider vinegar and top up with warm water then after shampooing, pour this over my head (don't get any in your eyes), massage in for a few seconds and rinse out. Yes it does smell for a little while but soon goes. Makes my hair very soft. Apparently removes any build up of hair product and returns hair to natural pH. However it is supposed to work, it does and makes my hair very soft.

rozke, Aug 14, 3:26am
#144. Marmalade.(To use less power.)Make as per recipe cup for cup then in a large bowlboil as per usual in the microwavel used to make 1 jar at a time. Son didnt like marmalade so changed label to Orange Jam. Couldnt make enough of it thenCheersPS Thanks juliewinn for starting this thread

hesian, Aug 19, 4:47am
Thanks to anyone who has posted.Keep coming back to this and have trouble finding.Couldnt seem to save it in spite of clear instructions on one of the pages.So must visit regularly and bump.

spuddybuddy, Sep 8, 4:37pm
Try clicking on "file" then "Send"and choose the option "send to desktop"

carlosjackal, Sep 8, 8:30pm
TARTARE SAUCE:

Using any good mayonaise as a base, add chopped up gherkins, a few capers (optional), chopped dill and a good squeeze of lemon juice.voila!

My DH was going to head off to the supermarket one evening last week to buy some Tartare, and told him not to bother, that I'd make some. I used the only "mayonaise" I had in the fridge which wasPaul Newman's Ranch - so added the above and it was beeeautiful!

juliewn, Sep 11, 9:01am
Hi. just did a search and found these:

Anti-Bac Bathroom Cleaner
1 cup baking soda
2 tablespoons (or more) liquid soap
2 teaspoons tea tree or lavender essential oil
1 teaspoon peppermint or orange essential oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar (optional)
Blending Procedure:
1. Measure the baking soda into a bowl with a tight fitting lid.
2. Add approximately 2 tablespoons of liquid soap (either regular dish washing soap or a natural brand of liquid soap such as liquid Castile soap). Mix well to create a paste-like consistency. If you need more liquid soap to do this, add it a little at a time until the mixture is like a paste — pliable but not soggy.
3. Once you have a consistency you feel like you can work with, add the essential oils and mix well again. The addition of vinegar last helps to boost the cleaning power.
4. To use, scoop out a little of the cleanser and use a sponge or other cleaning tool to gently scrub your tub, shower and sink surfaces. A little goes a long way and the antibacterial effect of tea tree gives you extra peace of mind more on http://showyourworkings.wordpress.com/recipes/eco-friendly-c
leaners/

Citrus Surface Cleaner Citrus Surface Cleaner
Ingredients:
1 cup all natural liquid Castile soap
2 cups distilled water
1 teaspoon borax (optional)
2 teaspoon sweet orange essential oil
Blending Procedure:
1. Place all ingredients in a plastic spray bottle and shake well before each use.

All from Beaumonde (993 )

Hope these help :-)

juliewn, Sep 11, 9:08am
Some more:

http://frugalliving.about.com/!once=true& is where I have got some tips from. I use Baking soda on a damp cloth to clean my shower, It is so much better that most other named brands for afraction of the cost.
Quote alpha02 (57 )

juliewn, Sep 11, 9:09am
For a good range of white vinegar & baking soda recipes see www.wendylsgreengoddess.co.nzUse recipes from that site for last 4 months, Friend & I make it up in bulk last 4-6 weeks. Great savings and a cleaner house too.
Quote sunflowers28

juliewn, Sep 11, 9:14am
i've switched from cleaning my bathroom /shower etc from bought products to this from wendyls site . www.wendylsgreengoddess.co.nz - it's lovely and brings everything up so shiny with no chemical smells to choke on .

Spray cleaner

This is easy to mix up and not only cleans well but fills the air with gorgeous smells. It takes a whole minute to make.

Nearly fill a 1 litre spray bottle with water. Add 1 tsp baking soda, a few drops of liquid soap (preferably Dr Bronner's Castile liquid soap, or use Sunlight) and 10 drops of lavender or tea-tree essential oil. Shake together. If you have wooden bench tops, add about 1 tsp of olive oil and shake the bottle every time you use it to disperse the oil.

You can use other essential oils in the spray cleaner. In the winter I like to use warm oils, like cedarwood, rosemary, clove or even some natural vanilla essence, to give the kitchen a cosy smell. In summer, go for citrus smells like orange, lemon or lime. And if flies are a problem use citronella oil which will help deter them.

Quote winnie15

jaygee1962, Sep 17, 1:42am
Oooh what a great thread.Will have to come back and have a proper read. Thanks for starting this juliewn! :)

juliewn, Sep 24, 10:06am
Hi Tarshlove. this is the link to the yoghurt recipes in TrademeCooks where recipes from all these threads are saved. http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php!f=26&t=757&p=1209&hilit=%2Ahomemade+yoghurt#p1209 I hope this helps. :-)