We Don't Have to Buy It Cos We Can Make It Thread!

Page 46 / 48
jenna68, Feb 24, 5:18pm
Hi julie :o) your cough mix is a winner in this house - do you have any homemade remedies for a 'nose unblocker' lol, tried the old eucalyptus oil on pillow blah blah, vicks on the chest blah blah, not working!TIA Tracey :o)

juliewn, Feb 25, 4:50am
Hi Sstt. my shampoo recipe is packed away. hopefully someone has one in the meantime till the boxes are all opened. bumping for you.

juliewn, Feb 25, 4:53am
Hi Tracey. :-) hope all is well there. Saline solution can help. a 1/2 tsp of salt in 1/2 a glass of warm water. you could use a little nasal sprayer or an eye dropper - or have a swim in the sea so the salt water helps.Gargling with the salt solution will help sore throats and that back of the throat/nose area too. You can buy saline solution nasal sprays which would help also. hope your patient is feeling well quickly. Cheers. Julie

jenna68, Feb 25, 5:49pm
Thanks julie, fantastic. the patient is the 5 of us lol, can't believe we all come back from a relaxing holiday to all get sick at once - must be the stress of having to work for a living lol.*note to self to buy lotto ticket*hehe, will make that up, cheers :o)

lookingfor, Feb 27, 7:55am
cedar vingear might work for a hair rinse, I am not sure, but I have used white vingear for a hair rinse, it works well, makes the hair soft, doesn't smell

juliewn, Mar 1, 8:04am
I've heard that vinegar is good too. would it be malt vinegar for dark hair and white for fair hair!

juliewn, Mar 1, 8:05am
Hiya Tracey. I hope you're all better soon. hope the solution helps too. take care. :-)

calista, Mar 1, 9:22am
Wow Finally took the time to read the whole thread and save bits of special interest.Thanks heaps for all the contributions - and to Julie for starting it and sharing so much info.

juliewn, Mar 3, 11:15am
You're most welcome Calista. I'm glad there are posts you've found of interest. the thread sure has grown into a wealth of information from so many people. Enjoy. Julie :-)

annie.nz, Mar 4, 12:19am
Laundry detergent (modified from Kob's recipe) You need: a 250ml cup, a 2 litre container (I use an old dishwashing powder container - don't use a food container as some idiot might drink the stuff).washing soda, and Eco Store laundry powder (this dissolves well, and stacks up well against other powders which are cheaper per packet but where you need to use much more to get a good clean).

Fill cup to about 2/3 full with washing soda, pour over boiling water and pour the slush into your 2 litre bottle.Fill the bottle almost to top with hot water, leaving about 2 cups space at the top.Put 2 scoops of Eco powder into the cup and then add very hot water, stir a bit and pour into the two litre container, repeat once to get all the powder out of the cup.Put lid on and turn up and down a few times to dissolve.
Use 1 cup of mix per machine load - should do 8 loads.I've been using this for almost a year, and it's really good in either hot or cold water.

jewls12, Mar 4, 6:42am
winter soup I use my left over vegs in the fridge at the end of the week. chop up finely and put in a large pot (carrots, corn, peas, ect. and two packs of barley soup mix and top up with water. chop up one packet of bacon(anysort) then add a large chopped up pumkin this will thicken it. boil.when cool mash it but leave it chunky. i put it into plastic drink cups which i freeze. pop one into a soup cup and m/wave for 2mins. nice with toast fingers. 20lt pot makes about 15 plastic drink cups. enjoy.

juliewn, Mar 11, 1:24pm
Bumping for make-our-own recipes.

owl32, Mar 20, 12:03am
I got a cup of baking soda and a tablespoon of ground cloves , put it in a container and made holes in the lid, all sprinkled it over all my carpets this morning. Left it on for 30 minutes and vacuumed it up. House smells lovely and fresh :)

kokopuff, May 20, 1:55am
bumping as its so hard to find.

arcane1315, May 20, 3:35am
thanks for this one especially juliewn. you must be able to see into my fridge LOL.I ALWAYS end up throwing away the leftover condensed milk cause I am too disorganised to go hunting for something to use it for, so this is absolutely perfect - no recipe needed!Thanks!

village.green, May 20, 11:04pm
What a great thread. I haven't had time to read it all but wanted to include this recipe for Face & Hand Moisturiser that I have beenmaking and usingfor 4 months now. I am about to make another batch, my third go and each time successful, easy and cheap. So apologies if it has already been published. I'll put it in a new post so it stands out a bit.

village.green, May 20, 11:13pm
1000 year old ROYAL SKIN CREAM- This is very rich, lovely on hands and face.

100ml olive oil
100ml sunflower, almond or grapeseed oil
40 gms beeswax
In a double boiler (bowl over pan) melt the beeswax in the olive oil.
Take off heat and add the other 100ml oil.
150ml Rosewater (you can buy from chemist and Asian stores)
2 pinches Borax (used as antiseptic and emulsifier)
Heat rosewater and borax in another double boiler until hot to touch.
Using hand whisk or stick blender pour the OIL into the rosewater/borax mixture in a slow narrow stream. When it is thick add essential oils of your choice about 20 drops (also acts as preservative). Pour into sterilised glass jars.
Seal when cold and label.
Keeps for 3-4 months kept cool and out of direct sunlight.
Essential oils of your choice, I used lavender and rose.
I keep excess jars in fridge and then once opened in my bathroom away from sunlight.
This quantity made approx 10 x 30ml pots therefore allow for 300ml.
You could put into 2 or 3 big jars.
I bought my little dark jars from Lotus Oils (as I wanted to give away as gifts), they were $1.40 each and have a good online shop.

juliewn, May 21, 3:04am
Hi. glad you like it. :-) . makes for tasty bikkies. The SCM also freezes well. I put it in a glass jar with a lid, and it keeps perfectly - and can be used straight from the freezer too.

Another way to use a little of it.
Cook some rice, and while it's still hot (without any water around it), stir in a little SCM (only a spoonful is needed), and a little vanilla or some lemon juice. and you have a quick rice pudding.

I cook the rice in my microwave - 1 cup rice, 2 cups cold water, 18 minutes on high, and stir with a fork. and it's done.

juliewn, May 21, 3:56am
Hi. I agree with you about the recipe. and have changed to using their Marshmallow Shortcake base recipe, which I use as a base for a lot of slices now. it's a favourite here.

Made in a normal size slice tin, it's quite thick, my slice tin is around a third bigger, and this recipe makes it a good thickness to cook it in that tin.

125gms butter
125gms sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg
225gms flour
1 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar, add essence, then egg, then sifted dry ingredients.
Press into the tin and bake at 180°C
>>> For a marshmallow shortcake - bake for 20 - 30 minutes
>>> For caramel slice base, bake 15 minutes, remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes so it sets a little.

Mix in a microwave jug/bowl: 1 tin Sweetened condensed milk and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. (I like the brown sugar flavour better than using golden syrup, and don't add any butter - we like the texture better without the butter).

When hot, pour slowly over the base and return it to the oven until the top is set and is golden and caramelly. about 5-8 minutes.

Place tin on a cooling rack and cool before using with chocolate icing and sprinkling with coconut or chopped nuts.

Hope this helps.

juliewn, May 21, 3:56am
Thanks for sharing the recipe. sounds lovely :-)

spawnman, May 22, 4:24am
How do you store the home-made peanut butter! Do you need to sterilize jars, refrigerate!

blt10, May 23, 6:47am
Ring scone sounds ok Cronezone

marchbank, Jun 14, 1:13am
Tomato soup like Mr W's

Does anyone have a recipe that tastes even remotely like it.
I love the flavour, but doesn't matter to much about texture

spunkeymonkey, Jun 15, 2:44am
omg at last i have found a descent mayonaise and i know that this might sound lame but there are not or no recipes on here this thread in recipes for mayonaised thank you so much

spunkeymonkey, Jun 15, 4:26am
wow another fantastic recipe i have been looking for but yet again could not find on any of the threads and yet again if i do find one they do not tell you or give you a simple recipe to follow, thank you so much juliewn, i think i am going to love this thread maybe you should of written a book