We Don't Have to Buy It Cos We Can Make It Thread!

Page 4 / 48
evorotorua, Aug 4, 6:26pm
good idea Ange I like to experiment like that too. Would be very economical. Probably nice in a tart frozen as well. A bit like a Bavarian pie like they sell in the supermarket. A bit of a dilemma with the cream vs low fat though! Who cares Lol

montyspromo, Aug 6, 5:46am
any one have any economical, healthy dog food recipes as young Pebbles still red and raw. I've taken her off the cheap supermarket brand ($20 a bag), but the vet stuff is about $70 a bag so I'm hoping to go somewhere in the middle. We're on the $40 a bag Pedigree supermarket stuff at the moment but only been on a day so far so can't tell just yet.

tumbleweeds2011, Aug 7, 8:07am
Our dog gets a very red rash when he eats ANY dry dog food, he lives on dog roll and fresh meat, and leftover meat and veg.

calista, Aug 7, 11:57am
monty the warehouse sell a book (in the books not pet section) called"Cooking for Your Dog. " I didn't read it as I only have a cat, but if you're in there you may like to check it out - also have "Baking for your Dog" - might be interesting at least.

dusty.p, Aug 13, 9:02am
Bumping... because this is a fantastic thread, and I don't want to loose it! !

nettie14, Aug 13, 9:10am
Shower Cleaner I think I read on this post ages ago about a shower cleaner for glass showers but now I can't find it on the thread. Can anyone help me - having trouble keeping our glass shower (two walls glass) nice and sparkly. Have brought the shop spray stuff but not very impressed. Thanks

rupps, Aug 13, 7:42pm
laundry liquid A while ago I found and copied a recipe using just washing soda crystals , lux flakes and boiling/hot water - it made about 8-9 2L milk bottles full. We moved house, I thought I put it somewhere safe and now I can't find it. I have found some similar, but would like to go back to the one I used previously.

Also does someone have a good, skin friendly'recipe' for dry scalp?

Thanks heaps

ange164, Aug 13, 7:51pm
rupps: using the Soap in your washing machine is not good for it. If you use it; remember to clean your washing machine with half a cup of dishwashing powder in an empty hot wash once a month to keep your machine healthy. now I'll post all of what I collected from Kob in the thread that died. (it can still be found in Votemenot. )

ange164, Aug 13, 7:52pm
WASHING SOLUTION First make sure you have empty containers to put it in. I use empty 2 litre milk containers as I make up 30 litres at a time and so use 3 x 10 litre buckets to mix it up in. Dissolve 1 cup of Lux flakes and 1 cup of washing soda (both available at supermarket for about $8-9) in a bucket of boiling water. Then divide the mixture in that bucket so that all 3 buckets have equal amounts of mixture. Top each bucket up to full with cold water and pour the final mixture into your containers. Use about one cup of mixture per full load of washing, gets the washing nice and clean. I have been using this mixture for over 2 years and it is so easy and cheap to make. Btw 30 litres of mixture will last approximately 3-4 months Use about a cup full per load.

ange164, Aug 13, 7:53pm
. poster unknown Homemade Laundry soap for Washing Machine
1 cup grated soap (use Pure or Sunlight as they are less likely to cause any allergies), 1/2 cup borax, 1/2 cup washing soda crystals... I used 1 cup as we have hard water, Mix together the soap & washing soda & give a whizz using metal blade in food processor or blender. Mix in borax and store in a labelled jar. Use 1 Tbsp for a small load or 2Tbsp for a normal to large load. I also mix mine in a little hot water before adding to machine. I also use white vinegar in the final rinse. (I fill the fabric softener dispenser). Cheers :)

ange164, Aug 13, 7:57pm
The version I use; & no need to clean the machine MADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT
I read with interest the homemade spray & wipe. For years I have been making a similar one for laundry detergent. In a 2 litre bottle put 4 tblspns washing soda crystals & scant 1/2 cup (1/4 cup of the new concentrate kind) of usual washing powder or detergent. Half full with water & shake to dissolve then add 1/2 cup white vinegar (I don't bother with the vinegar. Ange164). Use 1/2 to 1 cup in washing machine depending on load size etc. I also place some in a spray bottle & use for stubborn stains. roseann48
(I use one cup in a 5. 5kg machine. Ange164. )

rema, Aug 17, 8:46pm
almost Looks like this thread was going to fall off and I for one would hate to lose it

juliewn, Aug 18, 12:50pm
Thanks Rema. . :-) have a lovely Wednesday everyone. .

juliewn, Aug 19, 2:10pm
Bumping. .

rupps, Aug 19, 7:27pm
dishwasher (machine) powder Does anyone have a recipe that doesn't use borax?
I went to the chemist to get some and it was $13 for 100 mls. Does that sound right? I thought it was a product like washing soda crystals.

Thanks people

ange164, Aug 19, 8:10pm
From the good morning show recently 1 Cup of washing soda; 1/4 Cup of citric acid; (can be found in the supermarket next to baking soda type products) 2 Tablespoons of salt (not dessert spoons); 1 cup of baking soda. Put it all in a food whizz and whizz it together till blended. Use 1 Tablespoon per load. From the lady (I forget her name) has the website pigstitsandparsleysauce. She also has available for sale similar recipes for a reasonable charge.

ange164, Aug 19, 8:15pm
and white vinigar for the rinse aid. .

ange164, Aug 21, 8:10am
diswasher powder review of above recipe I made the pigtitsandparsleysauce
Dishwasher powder. Not overly impressed at all. The cutlery never seems to be clean. DH is the loader and being a service techy, is very fussy about the state of the plates etc before they get loaded. He claims its a dishwasher not a waste disposal. Hes peed off cos "his" dishes arent all clean. Guess whos fault it is... .

FROM 52many

rupps, Aug 21, 9:57pm
Anyone tried any others? I'm still using my shop bought powder/cleaners while I build up containers and ingrediants for a number of these homemade cleaning products. Also found a supply of borax, so may try some of the recipes suggested in this tread earlier.

rupps, Aug 24, 7:13pm
... ... . . don't want to lose this thread now do we

dusty.p, Aug 25, 9:23am
No we don't! no we don't want to lose it...

--boss--, Aug 25, 8:11pm
This will be nothing to you all but I was so proud of myself for thinkin of it, Ive recently returned to work so finding time to keep up with my housework and meals etc has become difficult at times with two preschoolers.
Ive started making everything from scratch so save $$ on maggi packets even though they're real convenient when your a working mum! So the other night i made up a huge batch of cheese sauce and once cooled put into snaplockbags and froze, thinking i might do the same with some sauces and gravy. SO any recipes for all kinds of sauces, marinades (a potato bake recipe would be good) that i could freze in snaplock bags would be great :)

juliewn, Aug 26, 12:32pm
Hello Boss. . good for you. . it sure makes it easier when coming home from work and there's so much to do. . You could use the cheese sauce for a potato bake - scrub (peel if you want) and slice potatoes, and some onions. I add sliced carrots, kumara, leeks, etc. . too. . Place in a greased shallow ovenproof dish, pour over some cheese sauce and cover with a lid or foil and bake till tender. Take the cover off, add some grated cheese and back into the oven for that to brown. . and serve with salad or green veges. . Add some breadcrumbs sprinkled over the grated cheese, and you'll end up with a crunchy topping. And you could add chopped bacon, ham, salami, cooked meat or chicken etc. . Enjoy. .

juliewn, Aug 26, 12:35pm
If you make extra gravy when cooking/roasting chops, roast meat, chicken, etc. . freeze the extra left over gravy. . and freeze some slices of the meat/chicken. . To use, zap the gravy till thawed (or thaw in the fridge during the day). Add the sliced meat/chicken, and stir gently through. Zap on medium heat till the gravy is simmering - stir through and stand a few minutes before serving with veges. . and you have a delicious hot meal in a very short time.

juliewn, Aug 30, 12:42pm
Tonight, I've roasted some beef, and baked extra veges, and have frozen my own 'tv dinners' - roast beef (with honey mustard rubbed into it - tastes great), Yorkshire puddings (made in muffin pans), baked potatoes, kumara and pumpkin, home-made gravy, then a mix of broad beans and peas. . lovely to have the extra meals in the freezer.