We Don't Have to Buy It Cos We Can Make It Thread!

Page 3 / 48
juliewn, Jul 26, 3:27am
For those wanting to begin- or to continue - growing your own vegetables and fruits, the NZ Gardener magazine has a free weekly email titled 'Get Growing" that is sent each Friday afternoon. The email gives suggestions and advice on growing, harvesting and using our own produce, and people can email with questions too. There are competitions and giveaways also, plus you can email in with answers to other reader's questions. To sign up (you just need your name and email address) this is the link: http://www.nzgardener.co.nz/page. asp? id=31 The weekly emails can also be read at the bottom of the page using the same link to their website.

juliewn, Jul 26, 3:32am
For anyone wanting to make their own breads, rolls, pita bread, naan bread, pizza dough, Hot Cross buns, breadmaker breads, Vogel type breads, Grain breads, etc. . etc. . this is the link to the Bread Thread here in recipes: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=14833095&threadid=14833095 There are a huge number of tried and true recipes there. .

juliewn, Jul 26, 3:34am
For how to make a wide range of preserves, jams, pickles, relishes, chutney's, sauces, etc. . check out the Preserves Thread, also here in Recipes. . http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=20211973&threadid=20211973

juliewn, Jul 26, 3:45am
Carpet Cleaner: This recipe was given by a carpet layer, when he was laying new carpet. . Fill a 1. 5 litre bottle with cold water. Add 2 tablespoons white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of a liquid wool or clothes washing solution. Place the lid on and turn end to end slowly to blend - shaking it will create masses of bubbles. Mark the bottle, and keep this handy for cleaning spills on carpets. To use: Pour a liberal amount of the liquid on the mark/spill and use an old towel to push lightly at the mark, without rubbing. Use the towel to absorb the liquid. Repeat if necessary until the mark is gone. Then saturate the area with the solution, place a thick folded towel on top, and stand on the towel. This will absorb the liquid - move the towel and stand on it again if needed. Once the liquid is absorbed, the carpet won't look damp and won't take long to dry. I've found this works well, even on stains left in a carpet when we moved into a house... I don't use anything else to clean carpet stains and spills. Very inexpensive too. .

juliewn, Jul 26, 3:47am
Window Cleaner: This works very well. Mix 1/4 cup malt or white vinegar with 1 litre of warm water. Use paper towels or old cloths to wash your windows using this, then wipe dry with dry cloths.

juliewn, Jul 26, 3:53am
Mould Remover for Ceilings, Window Frames, etc. . Use the same solution as above - 1/4 cup malt or white vinegar to 1 litre warm water. Saturate a cloth in this and squeeze out surplus liquid. Use this to wipe ceilings, around windows and frames, etc. . rinsing the cloth well and making more solution when needed. Rinse by wiping with a clean cloth with freshly made solution on it. You can also use this around showers and baths, after you've cleaned them. This solution will help to prevent any mould or mildew from growing on the surfaces you've cleaned using this. Outside house walls, etc, that are prone to having mould growth - ie. . the south sides of a house, can also be cleaned with this. The vinegar in the solution works to help prevent more mould growing.

juliewn, Jul 26, 4:06am
Floor Cleaner: Use the same solution of 1/4 cup white or malt vinegar to 1 litre warm water. Dip your mop, sponge mop, or cloth, etc. . in this, remove most of the water, and wash your floors. Rinse by mopping with a new solution, and leave to dry. This is an easy way to leave it to dry: mop your floors just before going out, to work, to wherever. . I do the kitchen last, starting at the part furthest from the door, and working toward the door, with that area left till last. Once I've completed the area closest to the door, I shut and lock the door, leaving the mop and bucket outside. . and the floors dry beautifully while I'm away. Don't forget... take anything you're wanting to take with you out of the house first so they're not left on the bench on the other side of your newly cleaned floor! No problem if you have - carefully (so you don't slip) tip-toe across the floor to collect your belongings - and don't forget your keys! . . then run the mop over the parts you've stepped on, and you're done.

juliewn, Jul 26, 4:12am
Shaving Cream: Place 1 cup Lux Soap flakes in a large heatproof basin. Add 1/2 cup boiling water and beat till the Lux flakes have dissolved. Add 1 dessertspoon of olive or almond oil, and if you want, a few drops of your favourite essential oil - lavender is good as it is soothing and gentle on your skin. Beat all well until very thick and creamy -about 5 minutes or so. Keep in screw top jars and use as needed.

juliewn, Jul 26, 4:29am
Make Your Own Mustard: Mix 3 tablespopons of mustard powder - Colman's or similar - with a little cold water to make a smooth paste. Add a pinch of salt - this will prevent the mustard becoming hard and brown, and will keep the mustard moist for longer. Leave about 10 minutes for the flavour to develop. Keep in a small jar or covered dish.

juliewn, Jul 26, 4:30am
Mustard Variations: To add mustard seeds, heat a frypan till medium hot, and use a paper towel to lightly grease the surface with some canola or olive oil. Place 2 tablespoons of mustard seeds on this, and heat, stirring often, until the seeds are popping and are lightly toasted. Cool on a paper towel, and add to the mixed mustard once cold. Season to your taste, to make your own grainy mustard. Do you like Honey Mustard? Add a little honey to your taste, to the mixed mustard, and mix in well. Season to taste. Add the mustard seeds if you want. . Herbed Mustard: Add to the mixed mustard your choice of chopped fresh or dried herbs - rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, etc. . Season to taste. Garlic Mustard: Roast a garlic clove or two when you're roasting veges or meats. Mash with a fork, and once cold, mix in with your prepared mustard. Season to taste. . and. . enjoy. .

juliewn, Jul 26, 4:33am
Home-Made Baking Powder: To replace 1 tsp baking powder, use 1/3 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and 1/8 tsp of salt. I keep the ingredients separate in my pantry, and mix them as I'm making a recipe and find this gives a better result than purchased baking powder. .

montyspromo, Jul 27, 10:44am
told everyone in my school fundraising group about this thread tonight now need to bump it up to where they'll find it. We're going to be doing a handy tips book as a fundraiser for our school and will have the kids contribute their families best tip for the book.

We figured that cook books might run into copyright issues.

juliewn, Jul 27, 11:58am
Hi Monty. . you're most welcome to use any of the info I've posted in this thread for the book. . good luck for the fundraiser. . when it's ready, please let us know here - you won't be able to promote the sale of the book under Trademe rules, however I'd be happy to start a thread about the book when it's ready for sale - these types of fund-raising books have proved to be popular sellers among us all in these threads. .

montyspromo, Jul 27, 6:16pm
thanks juliewn I'll certainly do that. I hadn't even thought about selling them on trade me (as in listing the books properly) but will certainly consider it. We were planning to print a sample then have everyone place there orders at school before we did the print run but if the book is helpful enough for others then we could certainly print extras to sell out in the community and on here.

rosielee3, Jul 27, 8:10pm
Hi all, just wondering as i dont have time to go these wonderfull pages today... might be on the cards for the weekend! My baby has nappyrash. Ive been using baking soda but its burnt his wee bottem :( usually works really well. Apart from cornflour can you guys recommend anything for him?

juliewn, Jul 28, 1:11pm
You're most welcome Monty. . good luck with sales. Hi Rosie. . Gently washing the area in warm water, then drying carefully, without rubbing, with a soft towel or piece of muslin, then using zinc cream helped when my Kid's were in nappies. . it's available at pharmacies and health stores. . Also, letting fresh air around the area helps too. . having some time in a sunny spot inside, with Baby lying in the sun there, helps with this. . let us know how you get on. . take care. . Julie

rosielee3, Jul 28, 7:41pm
Thanks Juliewn I took him to doc as i do let it breathe and him crawl around with no nappies for bits od the day... wash with clothes etc. Its a fungal infection he has so doc gave us cream to heal it up! Thanks for your time anyway :)

juliewn, Jul 30, 2:28pm
That's great Rosie. . I'm glad all is well. . :-)

juliewn, Jul 30, 2:29pm
DIY Curry Powder... Make your own using some cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric, and chilli powder to taste. . plus other spices if you want. . cinnamon, allspice, paprika, etc. . I add some of these to my curries when I make them - I place a little oil or butter (I prefer to use the butter as I feel it enhances the spice flavours) - about a tablespoon in total, into a hot pan, add 1 tsp each of ground cumin and ground coriander, 2 tsps turmeric, then a sprinkle of the others - or I just leave it at that. This gives a fabulous flavour. .

juliewn, Jul 30, 2:30pm
ps. . if you prefer the flavoursome spices without the heat, make as above, leaving out the dried chilli powder. . and you'll have lots of flavour without being hot and spicy. .

juliewn, Aug 3, 11:53am
Bumping. . after being away. . :-)

bandushrew, Aug 3, 8:49pm
Wonderful thread! Dunno if this has been done, but an easy-peasy ready in a mo pastry recipe: 1 cup of flour in a bowl, take approx 75 grams of butter and break into bits. Drop bits into the flour. 'Rub' the butter into the flour (quite litterally, makes the blocks of butter become 'flakes'). Continue until the two are well mixed, then add water bit by bit until you get a good dough texture. Roll out with flour and use as normal. I make pies for dinner with this; I use the leftovers from the night before with spices and extra veg, a bit of cheese, all biffed in together with this pastry on top.

ange164, Aug 4, 1:36am
todays experiment is freezing a packet of greggs chocolate mousse (with a handful of chocolate chips thrown in), but made with 2 cups of milk not the one cup it says. It was very light and airy when I put it in the freezer; after beating it with the whisk beater in the cake mixer for 5 mins. I anticipate a good cheap frozen dessert much like icecream out of it. Will let you all know. Have put some into home made popsicle makers too to see how that goes. (I'm thinking it Might be a bit soft for the moulds, we'll see. ) Additionally because it's airy and made with milk not cream, it would have to be lower fat surely. LOL.

ange164, Aug 4, 3:22am
result = fair. fudgecicles come out stuck to the stick fine, comparatively soft to the bite texture but a bit crystalized. It feels the low fat it is, no lasting creamyness on the tongue. And i think 2 cups of milk diluted the flavor a bit much, there isn't a Strong chocolate flavor, though it's still pleasant. If I were to use 1 to 1. 5 cups of milk or some cream would add another dimension to it. If I use 2 Cups of milk again; I'd add a couple tablespoons of cocoa mixed into a paste with hot water first to make it a bit more chocolatey. Over all I think it'll be a winner once I've perfected it. For half the price of icecream.

juliewn, Aug 4, 3:31pm
That sounds interesting Ange. . and delicious. . gelatine freezes well, and you could dissolve some gelatine in a little of the milk, then add the rest of the ingredients. . freeze. . andthe result would be a little like the jelly part of a jelly-tip. .