Chocolate cake recipe suitable for stacking

phy39, Feb 29, 7:57am
I am making a pirate cake for my sons birthday what kind of cake is best for layering ans decorating with fondant! Help please!

kinna54, Feb 29, 8:52am
Daughter in law recently made a forest fairies cake which involved 3 layers, and she used the evorotorua cake recipe.I made the cake and she cut and iced and assembledit.
It didn't crumble when cut to size and was a lovely moist cake, and it makes a big cake.
I just made the attached recipe (I prefer it without the bananas, *just omit and keep it straight chocolate*) in a rectangular anda square tin,to get the correct heights. I have made this recipe for round cakes, and rectangular and shaped birthday cakes (alter the cooking time to suit)

Chocolate Yoghurt Banana Cake
*An easy no fail recipe

2 cups sugar
200gms butter or margarine
3 cups self raising flour
2 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
2 mashed bananas
1+ 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup plain yoghurt
1 cup boiling water *add last*

Place all ingredients into a large bowl, pouring the boiling water over the butter or margarine to melt it.
Mix all ingredients together to combine and that’s it!
Pour into a largespring form tin, roasting dish or into around 25 large muffin cups.
Bake as a large deep cake for around 1hr 10mins,(that is in a large deep spring form pan) at 180c or in muffin cases 10-12 minutes.
*makes a large cake(roasting dish size and quite deep, I made it in a rectangular tin, and another square tin from 1 mix. For a larger layered cake it also works well if you make a 1 and a half mix,)
*Cake freezes well*

Recipe originally courtesy of poster evorotorua.

evorotorua, Mar 3, 3:49am
Hi kinna54, I think you should re-name this cake! You have advertsied it so well! Every time I make it I think of you!.Thanks for continuing to share the recipe. I don't come into this MB very often any more but it is great to see this recipe being handed around. Erica

kinna54, Mar 3, 4:10am
It's a pleasure to share it, and I will always post it in your name.as I am so grateful to you for the original .recipe and it's one I can easily make even when my hands are bad. Lovely to see you still browse the board.