Thomas knives at Countdown

Page 1 / 4
cheapmike, Feb 15, 9:53am
Countdown are having a promotion where you collect bonus stamps and can build a collection of six knives either by using just the stamps you collect or at a very reduced price. Has anyone used/ownedthese knives! Have been looking for a new knife(just for home cooking) but want a good cooks knife or similar. Had a quick look in store and they felt rather light in the packaging and am interested in others thoughts. Cheers.

dezzie, Feb 15, 10:36am
Yeah, I thought they were very light as well, and to be honest I've seen similarknives at the $2 shop.

nfh1, Feb 15, 10:39am
You need an awful lot of stamps as well!

cheapmike, Feb 15, 11:20am
Thx for your replies.I'm six stamps off getting the cooks knife with an additional $12 after doing two weeks shopping. They look nice but looks aint everything lol.I wouldn'tpay the RRP of $80 for it though.I just want a sharp knife that holds an edge and won't cost the earth.wish wish

mudguts1, Feb 15, 3:05pm
#4-if you want a knlfe that will hold its edge then never buy a stainless steel knife-easy as!

cookessentials, Feb 15, 5:59pm
Wouldn't waste my time. I tell them to keep their stamps.

pericles, Feb 15, 8:51pm
so do I

craig04, Feb 15, 9:01pm
Well personally I never turn down free stuff, who cares how good or crap they are. If it turns out to be rubbish then mine will get relegated to the camping gear.

dreamers, Feb 15, 9:55pm
I collect the stamps,get the knife then donate them to the charity shops sothey can benefit.

herself, Feb 15, 10:48pm
That is a really nice thing you are doing dreamers.
I am not collecting the stamps and thought that I would offer them to the shopper behind me at the check-out.

wheelz, Feb 15, 11:26pm
How sanctimonious and rude ! A polite 'no thanks' would suffice. or you could pass the stamps on to someone else or collect and give the knives away.

pickles7, Feb 16, 1:38am
I ask if anyone would like my stamps, like I do with fly buys and sub points.
I have always got a very nice response.Just the other day we went to pay for our parking and found a prepaid ticket, after we had finished I passed it on. The lady just about cried, she forgot to get change, and feared a $40.00 fine.

pickles7, Feb 16, 1:38am
I ask if anyone would like my stamps, like I do with fly buys and sub points.
I have always got a very nice response.Just the other day we went to pay for our parking and found a prepaid ticket, after we had finished I passed it on. The lady just about cried, she forgot to get change, and feared a $40.00 fine.
When I said found, I meant it was ticked into the slot, someone had put it there to be found.

cookessentials, Feb 16, 3:10am
LOL.I dont say it like that wheelz, I do say no thank you, so no, I am not rude and/or santimonious.you jumped the gun there.

uli, Feb 16, 5:48am
But that is cooks for you LOL :)
That is how she is and how she behaves .

seniorbones, Feb 16, 6:27am
oh god not you again! can you ever say anything nice!

cookessentials, Feb 16, 8:38am
No, sadly.

ashwinis, Feb 16, 8:42am
you are probably better off buying the three pack blister of victorinox knives at king of knives. will last better and sharpen better too

kuaka, Feb 16, 8:46am
I thought about getting the sharpening steel, as my old one is very worn (almost smooth), not bothered about the knives as I have plenty, but could use a steel.

cheapmike, Feb 16, 9:19am
Thanks for the comments people. I think we'll get the free cooks or santoku knife with next weeks shop because I love free stuff. Having had a look on TM it seems there are quite a few choices. And a range of quality. The best knife I have had was a Scanpan that got dropped on it's point last year. Was good enough, but went blunt. I wonder what the quality is like with the steels.Might have to save up!

auburn4, Feb 16, 10:09am
I checked out the steel today and wasn't overly impressed. It was too light weight.

dreamers, Feb 16, 7:28pm
I love thesmall Victorinox knives you buy from mitre 10.They stay sharp for years and for less than 10 dollars are a good buy.

uli, Feb 16, 10:13pm
Are these the little red handled ones from Germany dreamers!
I have about 10 of those as I never lose them in the garden :)
And you can sharpen them very well.

dreamers, Feb 17, 12:50am
Yes ,red ,blue and black.I always take one when we travel with an old teatowel,so we can always buy a Baguette and ham etc and have a picnic lunch.Teatowel gets dumped at the end of the trip and knife lives for another trip.we buy them in HK only about 4 or 5 dollars there.

elliehen, Feb 17, 1:04am
'Victorinox' from SWITZERLAND

"In 1884, the cutler and businessman Karl Elsener opened a knife manufacturing company in Ibach-Schwyz, in the heart of Switzerland. Over the next 125 years, this evolved into a globally oriented company."