Thomas knives at Countdown

Page 2 / 4
katalin2, Feb 17, 1:55am
Have been using these for years- they are great. Found one in the compost that must have accidentally tried to escape months earlier with the vege scraps- no rust, sharp as ever, and after a good clean good as new.

uli, Feb 17, 5:35am
You are right as always LOL :)
I just checked my knives and YESSS! Switzerland - why would I think they came from Germany I have no idea .

toadfish, Feb 17, 5:52pm
I brought a Victorinox Bread knife from Switzerland on my OE 21 years, we had trouble cutting fresh bread in the camper. Still use it today. love it.

PS I am collecting the stickers, love free stuff, even if I end up donating it.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 18, 7:22pm
Alison Holst's online shop sells some Victorinox knives. I've just lost my favourite small knife so I must get another.

uli, Feb 18, 9:52pm
Sell it on TM LOL :)

uli, Feb 18, 9:52pm
My local Pak'n'Save sells them too - and no freight costs :)

vintagekitty, Feb 18, 10:00pm
Hang around Mitre 10, they give them away!. I went in to pick up some stuff this morning and you have to listen a lady demonstrating them and you get a free knife lol. I spent over $10k but I got something for free - a wee knife - go me!

elliehen, Feb 18, 10:31pm
Go you, vintagekitty!Victorinox really do make good knives.I have three and one of mine I picked up on the beach, still as sharp as ever.maybe sharpened by the sand ;)

toadfish, Feb 18, 10:51pm
I got 2 of those free knives, one from countdown and one from the warehouse. they are our favourite little knife, so sharp.

uli, Feb 18, 10:51pm
You spent 10 000 dollars at Mitre10!

jude343, Feb 19, 1:57am
i give my stamps to womens refuge.there is always someone there who has a greater need than myself

vintagekitty, Feb 19, 2:11am
lol, because women are always in need of a good short sharp knife!. Is that you Mrs Bobbitt!

vintagekitty, Feb 19, 2:12am
Yes, I may go back next week, but spend NO money!

pickles7, Feb 19, 2:15am
so YOU found it, I always wondered who got lucky.

jenner4, Feb 19, 2:17am
Thanks for that suggestion, I will do the same

vintagekitty, Feb 19, 2:33am
Just thought i'd add im no way pulling the mick about refuge or their clients, just that it's a strange organisation to give a bunch of stamps for knives to.

lythande1, Feb 19, 2:51am
Knife blades can be manufactured from a variety of materials, each of which has advantages and disadvantages. Carbon steel, an alloy of iron and carbon, can be very sharp, hold its edge well, and remain easy to sharpen, but is vulnerable to rust and stains. Stainless steel is an alloy of iron, chromium, possibly nickel, and molybdenum, with only a small amount of carbon. It is not able to take quite as sharp an edge as carbon steel, but is highly resistant to corrosion. High carbon stainless steel is stainless steel with a higher amount of carbon, intended to incorporate the better attributes of carbon steel and stainless steel. High carbon stainless steel blades do not discolor or stain, and maintain a sharp edge. Laminate blades use multiple metals to create a layered sandwich, combining the attributes of both. For example, a harder, more brittle steel may be sandwiched between an outer layer of softer, tougher, stainless steel to reduce vulnerability to corrosion. In this case, however, the part most affected by corrosion, the edge, is still vulnerable. Pattern-welding is similar to laminate construction. Layers of different steel types are welded together, but then the stock is manipulated to create patterns in the steel. Titanium is a metal that has a better strength-to-weight ratio, is more wear resistant, and more flexible than steel. Although less hard and unable to take as sharp an edge, carbides in the titanium alloy allow them to be heat-treated to a sufficient hardness. Ceramic blades are hard, brittle, and lightweight: they may maintain a sharp edge for years with no maintenance at all, but are as fragile as glass and will break if dropped on a hard surface. They are immune to common corrosion, and can only be sharpened on silicon carbide sandpaper and some grinding wheels.

dreamers, Feb 19, 4:13am
I just feel there is always someone worse off than me who could benefit from something I don't need.

elliehen, Feb 19, 6:35am
I must do that too.I didn't listen carefullyenough at the checkout and thought that I was going to have to buy something at the end of all that pesky collecting.

cookessentials, Feb 19, 7:37am
Good thinking dreamers

truckstrains, Feb 19, 8:00am
there's a shop in Eastgate mall-chch sells those victorinox knives and they r the coloured handles-yellow,green,red,pink.-
they r the same lovely knives just diffrent handles and good price. love them

cookessentials, Feb 20, 3:46am
The yelloow, green and pink are a little dearer than their standard blue black and red due to the colour process used to make and colour the handles.

uli, Feb 20, 10:45pm
Who worries about a slightly higher price cooks!

They will last you 10 to 15 years easily - and mine DO have a hard life here. I use them for everything from cutting weeds in the garden to de-boning my own meat.

However I usually get the red ones as they are easiest to see in the garden where they have been composted more than once .

cookessentials, Feb 21, 12:33am
Some do Uli. The blades are all the same whether you have a pink handle or a blue.all the Victorinox knives are great.

freckle, Mar 16, 10:01am
I got the bread knife from Countdown and its really great.Doesnt squash the bread and nice and light to use.Figure if Im going to be spending money on shopping anyway, might as well get something for free!