Sweet and sour chicken

00743, Feb 10, 12:50am
i want a easy sweet and sour chicken recipe just like you get at the takeaway places.

purplegoanna, Feb 10, 1:50am
i do sweet and sour pork and fish just like the takeaway places, buy the sweet & sour in the jar from the supermarket, I cut my pork or fish up and put it in beer batter then fry of in the deep fryer, i add sliced cooked carrots and a few baby corn to the sauce mis and heat it thru in the microwave then fold the cooked battered meat in, we neva buy it from the shops as the meats always horrific so we only eat my homemade version.

valentino, Feb 10, 2:32am
A full on recipe using pork initially but have often used chicken instead of pork because of Arabian International students and they ask me to go to Arabia to cook for them numerous times. Anyway the initial recipe.

Sweet and Sour Pork( Replace pork with Chicken)

500g pork fillet thickly sliced then cut into cubes,
2 tbsp cornflour,
1tbsp sherry,
1tbsp soy sauce,
1 tbsp sugar,
oil for cooking,
1 large onion thinly sliced,
1 green capsicum cut into cubes,
2 small carrots thinly sliced,
1 small Lebanese cucumber seeded and chopped,
5 spring onions cut into short lengths,
440g can pineapple pieces in juice – juice reserved,
¼ c white vinegar &
½ tsp salt.

Place pork in a shallow glass or ceramic bowl.
Combine cornflour with sherry, soy sauce & half of sugar, add to pork.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Drain the pork, reserving the marinade.

Heat the wok or large Fry pan to very hot, add 1 tbsp oil and swirl to coat all sides.
Stir-fry pork for 4-5 minutes or until pork is golden brown and just cooked, remove from wok or pan.
Reheat wok or pan ad 1 tbsp oil and stir fry onion for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened.
Add capsicum & carrot, cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
Stir in marinade, cucumber, spring onions, pineapple, salt , remaining sugar & 4 tbsp of reserved pineapple juice.
Bring to boil then simmer for 2-3 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly.
Return the pork to cook and toss until the pork is heated through.
Serve immediately with steamed or cooked rice.