Woe is me ... Must feed us all for $200/wk!

Page 18 / 20
tumbleweeds2011, Jul 21, 7:13pm
Hi Toadfish. I use leftover chicken in a pasta dish. Cook some pasta, amount varies as to how many I am cooking for. Saute onion and garlic and mushrooms if like,or bacon, some herbs of choice. Chuck in a tin of evaporated milk and simmer 5 minutes, add chicken and salt and pepper, simmer 5 or so minutes for chicken to heat through. Sometimes I add brocolli. Basic method for sauce is the same but I just add whatever I've got. Sometimes I add grated cheese at end.

ange164, Jul 21, 7:39pm
I use leftovers in soup, butter chicken, stirfry, toasted sandwiches with sweet pickle and cheese,and chicken nuggets.

toadfish, Jul 21, 7:51pm
I just thought because of the sage & onion stuffing component. I needed to have a plain sauce. Maybe chicken gravy even. still thinking.

doug57, Jul 21, 8:59pm
put the stuffing to one side! and make a sauce for the chicken.add button mushrooms and chopped celery, blue cheese [Mmmmm].you could even add sweetcorn, pour into dish and top with mashed kumara, or potato and bake in oven till golden. You could use slices of bread pressed around sides of dish instead of pastry

cxc_mama, Jul 21, 10:41pm
Doug57 that sounds good. I use the leftover chicken for homemade pizzas on pita bread, yummo

darlingmole, Jul 22, 12:39am
*waves to to Toady* :-) wish I'd known you were over here - would have like to have met you!Anyway, the only way I know how to make pie without pastry is the old self-crusting quiche recipe, although I believe there is a rice "pastry" that people make (never tried it).I had a size 22 chicken last night aswell!Made sure there was 1/3 of chook leftover and tonight I'm making chicken soup (with onion, garlic & spinach in it) with fresh tomthumb rolls from P'n'S ($2.79 today) and probs a chocolate brownie for dessert.I'm always amazed that I can feed us all twice on one chicken (goes without saying the stock I'm using was from the same chooks old bones!)

shanf1, Jul 22, 7:28pm
chicken chowmein happy to add to your list of recipes for large families.
Boil chicken [any cheap one will do] cut up and keep stock
3 lrg onions chopped
Add chicken and simmer 5 mins
add 2 1/2cup water
2 pkts chicken noodle soup[I would now use cheap chicken noodles 5 for $1}
1 1/2 cups mixed veges
1 tbsp soya sauce - 2tbsp brown sugar -2 tbsp rice - 1 tsp each mustard and curry powder
Stir and simmer 20 mins
add chopped cabbage before serving.Makes a huge pot full enough for your entire family.

shanf1, Jul 22, 7:39pm
sausage pie 1 1b flaky pastry [make your own] 1 lrg onion1 chopped apple
1 1b sausage meat1 1/2 cups cooked rice1 beaten egg
1 dsp curry4 tbsp parsley s&p
Mix all ingredsPlace on pastry and roll like sausage roll
Cook 40030-40 mins
I double and freeze, lovely for lunches also.

toadfish, Jul 23, 7:08am
It was delicious I fried up an onion, added the diced chicken and diced stuffing. added chicken gravy and mixed veg. put it into a pie dish and made a quick scone dough pastry top. baked till golden. the troops were impressed. i gave them the option of a mashed potato topping but they chose the scone dough topping.

winnie15, Jul 24, 4:47am
#202 it's called a mooncup you can buy them for around $35 - $50 . I've heard they're great and actually shorten the duration and heaviness, are kind to the enviroment and save lots of $$$$$$$$$

winnie15, Jul 24, 4:50am
you can buy them off trade me health shops, family planning. You tube has a demo of the moon cup . google has lots of info too.

woolfemme, Jul 24, 9:12am
A couple of other good websites sorry If these have been posted,but I had a quick look through and did not see them
The first is
www.hillbillyhousewife.com-they have a $45 Emergency Menu for 4-6under the most popular listing.(of course its US$ so read about $100 ) then next interesting one ishttp://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au
Lots of info on self-sufficiency, gardening, etc

check them out !

toadfish, Jul 26, 7:08pm
Alison Holsts "Murphy's Mousakka" Another great recipe to add to your repotoire of cheap and filling mince meals. we had it last night and it was delicious. the original recipe just has a can of plain tomatoes but I would jazz it up with herbs you like, red wine. or just use a "flavoured" can of tomatoes.Yum Yum Yum. I made 1.5 times the recipe in a big baking dish (fed 6 adults and left overs). maybe double the recipe would do your troops.

winnie15, Jul 31, 11:14am
i've started working part time and most of my wage goes on food now.so i'm spending more at the supermarket not less! too tired after to work to bake so buy more convience foods.gotta wonder if it's worth it.

kob, Jul 31, 6:48pm
the key winnie15 is be prepared, on your days off prepare some ready made meals so you are not encouraged to buy processed foods which are not as good for you and although are quick are only a temp full feeling.as for lunch boxes etc, a batch of muffins and biccies can be made while tea is cooking and cooked while dinner is being eaten you can even freeze the frozen mix in the muffin tin, take out in the morning and cook at night fresh muffins for the lunches, biccies the same, i used to have biccie sausages in my freezer could cut a chunk frozen from loads of diff flavours altho they all looked the same all diff so plann ahead youll be amazed what you can achieve, if you working becuae of money needed make sure it goes to the appropriete place by direct crediting to that place otherwise we are all human and all have temtations

ange164, Aug 1, 11:06pm
So I'm about a month in now of the $100 shops. and my enthusiasim and energy is starting to flag sorely. Last week I did a "big" shop of 140 as I was out of spices and such for all the home baking I've been doing. What I have found with the $100 shops is that my pantry remains fairly darn scant, but we are in fact eating better with the primary foods being fresh bread fruit meat and veg. The cakes I make are now cut into smaller peices so Hubby can still have cake for work lunches etc, just not the "man" size portions he was used to. More sensible portions now.(He's lost 5kg, not that he needed to.) So I send up a prayer and gather my reserves to troup into next months budget battle. It is tiring how much mental energy it all takes to make it work; but worth while in the sense that the stress of being in debt as the other option would be worse. Keep on trouping Girls! We'll make it.

indy95, Aug 2, 1:17am
Darlingmole, I have just been re-reading some of the posts on this thread and started wondering how your money saving campaign is going. It's only been just over a month since your first post but seems so much longer. Would be interested to hear how you are doing.

winnie15, Aug 2, 12:19pm
thnx kob for those ideas yes i have to be more organized.

yiu, Aug 2, 10:14pm
I take my hat off to ya DM! I find it hard to budget for 4 adults and 2 children on the same sort of allowance (150-200) per week and I never seem to make it last, though since reading the ENTIRE THREAD (not just the last couple) I too am uplifted by everyones comments of savings in shopping and feeding ones family.
Too good everyone! Excellent ideas also

darlingmole, Aug 3, 2:23am
How's it going indy! Well it's going~!Yeah, it's amazing that the old saying "necessity is the mother of all invention" applies day-in-day-out in my kitchen.Things are going well but still find the milk situation hard (my 16 month old just LOVES her bottles).But yes, otherwise I think we're eating both healthily and wisely.To behonest I'm sick of baking but it has to be done.Made mocha-chocolate crunch for the lunch boxes and self-crusting silverbeet'n'bacon quiche aswell . already got the apples!Tonight for dinner it's schnitzels (bought on special a few weeks ago for $4.00) and has been marinating - will serve with brocoli, cabbage and vermicilli noodles . cheap but tasty'n'filling (I hope!)

ry5, Aug 3, 3:34am
I remember reading this in a handy hints book years ago.Every week, put your grocery shopping off by one day, and after 7 weeks you have saved a weeks worth of grocery money!Not only do you save money, it teaches you how to be creative with what you have left in the cupboard.You have to be strict on yourself though and not overcompensate for the lost days!

ry5, Aug 3, 3:36am
maybe I should clarify. week 1 - shop on Monday, week 2 - Tuesday, week 3 - Wednesday etc etc

kob, Aug 3, 5:07am
well my bargain for the week was. i went to NW this morning unexpectant ly and found 2 chicken breasts for $2.50 6 sausages for $2 and 500grams of pork mince for $5 so for under $10 bucks got 3 meals i was impressed.
Added onion, soy & worchester sauce to the mince made into small balls and fried , cooked some rice and in another pot added sugar, vinegar soy sauce, cornflour and a little orange juice made a sweet & sour sauce, once pork balls are cooked add grated carrot and some pineapple I had 1/4 of one in the fridge that i used otherwise i would of opened a tin and used that juice instead of the orange juice blend the sauce and the balls together and serve over rice, will feed 4 for about $8.00 I will be hcecking NW out on a Sunday morning more often

toadfish, Aug 3, 5:29am
I had a similiar experience yesterday afternoon at our local woolworths. Got an awesome topside roast for $8, 2 x fresh chickens $5.20 each, pork spare ribs 2 trays around the $3 mark, lamb mince around the $3 mark, 3 x snitzel meals around the $4 mark each, pork & fennel sausages $3. I probably got around 9 family meals for about $35. Thrilled.Especially about the beef roast. we wanted to invite some freinds around and it has to be Weight Watcher freindly. this roast is enough for 6 plus sandwiches. its so lean. so will team it up with lots of roasted vegetables and either beans or brocolli.

toadfish, Aug 3, 5:31am
And the funny thing is. I only went in for milk. (But always cruise the meat case and I am picking those just came out) about 4pm