Crockery

Page 2 / 3
terraalba, Jan 11, 8:47am
No seriously, I bought what I thoughtwas a lovely bright 16 piece set from Briscoes at a great price but hubby is one of those men who like silence and no distractions at 6 am in the morning. He's a low carb food controlled diabetic and has yoghurt and berrys followed by a ghastly coloured omelet which as pysillium husk and mushrooms and a bit of bacon. He's close to retirement and works long hard days. He gets his own breakfast and told me he didn't want to face red crockery. The crockery I bought is has red and a few other bright colours. We have our EQC cheque and are replacing our crockery. Most of what got broken was the everyday stuff. My good set survived all of the shakes.

terraalba, Jan 11, 8:50am
He's done that I assure you. Grown the balls and eatent he sausages from the pan!

maijac007, Jan 11, 8:51am
Lady. in the great scheme of things if the colour of your crockery is all you have to worry about, then more power to you.

graciousgraphic, Jan 11, 8:53am
Most people have heard of Freecycle I guess!
(A system where you can either ask for donated goods, or say what you have to donate)
On a recent 'Wanted' posting, someone was asking: "we would like 50 dinner and 50 desert plates - not plastic for an up coming 21st birthday dinner."
Which is a bit boggling -firstly because she thinks there may be someone with that quantity of crockery that's not wanted, and secondly because she hopes these 100 pieces will be *given* to her.
[Imaging nose tilted in the air.'Eww - we wouldn't be seen dead using plastic, darling! *sniff* ]

terraalba, Jan 11, 8:56am
No a lot of other things matter to me but I am not a domesticated person and am not up with what is better suited in the crockery department. Mostly my relationship with crockery is clumsily breaking it. I genuinely wanted opinions about what is a good option here because my first choice isn't a good breakfast option. I love red coffee mugs etc but discovered first thing in the morning hubby isn't too keen on them. He also doesn't like me chattering to him at that time of day either.

toadfish, Jan 11, 8:58am
I have a huge stack of dinner plates in my garage as we often have large numbers for BBQ's.When ever I have replaced dinner sets I save the non chipped, good condition ones and have at least 20 plus the 10 in my cupboard for everyday use.I find this better than plastic plates, greener, nicer to eat off and no hassle to put in the dishwasher.
What is interesting is that the dinner set I got for my 21st (Just a Deka one) all the plates that have survived are in amazing condition. Dont make them like they used to.

maijac007, Jan 11, 8:58am
Good Grief!, keep the china, get rid of the husband

toadfish, Jan 11, 8:59am
I believe you. not sure what has triggered some of these responses.

terraalba, Jan 11, 9:00am
It does cross my mind sometimes, he's a bit OCD at times. However, I've been married to him for over 40 years and it's better the devil you know.
Thank you for all your responses. I have learned something about what people like in crockery.

sarahb5, Jan 11, 9:55am
MIL tried to give me hers when we left the UK - I hate to say it but I really don't like it at all.Luckily my SIL does like it though so I suggested she would appreciate it more than me and it was less likely to get damaged going to her than coming down here.I doubt there'd be much left now with all the moves we've done and children aren't especially careful.I'm not one to "keep things for best" either - if you have something you really like you should use it every day and enjoy it.

fisher, Jan 11, 10:09am
maybe brown and yellow so you can hide his sausages and eggs.:}

cookessentials, Jan 11, 5:23pm
It is very collectable toadfish.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 5:28pm
Cornishware is available in NZ from selected retailers.it is one of the most traditional around. Denby is also great. Personally, Vera Wang would not be a choise you would make for using on the breakfast table! I have just bought the Royal Doulton "signature platinum" which l see has been copied by Vera Wang ( pretty much) although the RD looks far more elegant, especially in it's sauce boat. However, I would not use it as a breakfast setting, it is purely for dinnerware. Tableware is such a personal thing, what one person likes, another wont. To be honest, for breakfast at home, I dont think you have to be so fussy ( well, your dh doesn't)

fishb8, Jan 11, 5:46pm
We all have likes and dislikes and if the colour of a plate puts you off brekkie then that's a problem that's easily sorted. Just get him to choose a few "Breakfast" plates for himself - and just let him use them for his brekkie!
Too simple!
I'm not mad keen on conversation breaking my morning pre-work routine, either.
Also close to retirement and 40th wedding!

motorway, Jan 11, 6:11pm
You're Mr and Mrs Hyacinth Bucket aren't you!

nzl99, Jan 11, 6:15pm
Me either!Scrambled eggs on vogels in my fav.I'm pooped and have been cooking/cleaning/serving all day. someone serve ME damnitall!

davidt4, Jan 11, 8:49pm
Good Morning to all of the stalkers.

terraalba, Jan 11, 10:32pm
No not yellow. That was the next worst colour apparently. The crockery I bought has a burnt red, brownie tone, and yellow as well as some nice blues.I really stuffed up. I guess some people think of crockery as purely functional objects. I have kind of come around to thinking they are both functional objects as well as a form of art expression. Don't know how that happened but .

terraalba, Jan 11, 10:34pm
That set would suit me as well I think but I won't be in Auckland until Easter so cannot pick up. That really looks like the kind of set we could both go with. Even the shape of the plates would be to our liking. Darn!

terraalba, Jan 11, 10:39pm
No way! She's house proud over the top by miles. I hate housework and am usually a minimalist and neglible kind when it comes to decor.

I'm just replacing the earthquakes work and have the opportunity to buy something that has both function and has aesthetic appeal. I haven't bought crockery for years and wanted other's input about possible options. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Just wanted to brighten up a bit but unfortunately I went too bright.

verrans, Jan 11, 10:42pm
Sorry cornish ware not corning ware was what I was thinking. That listing said briscoes terraalba, might have something still like that down your way!

Would the other half go with you to somewhere like the warehouse where they have individual pieces that he could maybe chose some of. That or next time you have a catalogue for one of those places or briscoes etc, point to a pattern and ask what he thinks!

White may well be safe, but he may then object to the shape, bowls in dinner sets can be all sorts of shapes as to can cups/mugs. I have two cheap dinner sets stored away, one was as a set and the other individual pieces. What I grab out of the cupboard to use daily for things is white glass dinner ware bought brand new for about $5 at an auction clearance place.

terraalba, Jan 11, 11:31pm
Verrans, Our fridge, insinkerator and dishwasher all packed up in the last month and I had recently bought a small glass top dining suite for the kitchen dining area. He was inAussie looking after daughter's pets over the festive season and I knew when he returned we'd be shopping for the appliances. That financial outlay would be enough for him to angst about (OCD style) so I figured I could do some shopping for the smaller things at least without him looking over my shoulder.

When shopping for the crockery, I met some other families also trying to select earthquake smashed crockery too. We agreed among ourselves that it was so hard to find a set that had the preferred shapes, colours and designs all in the one set.

I saw some lovely more formal kinds of dinner sets which we both would have liked. A little blue on white seems to appeal to both of us. However, it was the everyday heavy crockery that needed replacing.

shayne45, Jan 12, 2:05am
It's Bouquet

rose-murray, Jan 12, 3:06am
Lets face it he just isn't a morning person. I think he would appreciate a plain white breakfast set.
Edited to add a nice posy of flowers and/or soft coloured placemats on the breakfast table would brighten things up

hezwez, Jan 12, 3:09am
I like fishb8's suggestion at post #45. How about #437573479! You can pick up since it's in Christchurch too.