Crockery

Page 1 / 3
terraalba, Jan 11, 2:40am
I recently bought a 16 piece service for breakfast and lunch meals. I realise now it may be fine for lunch but for breakfast the colour and design is too loud for breakfast so I am wondering what colours and designs would people find alright to face early morning with say yoghurt and berries and then an omelet please! Hubby says he doesn't a lot of red on his plates.

richard198, Jan 11, 2:41am
White is allways right.
Let the food do the talking!

terraalba, Jan 11, 3:34am
Okay white then is best, what you go for as second choice, say if the design was white background with a mono-coloured design please!

davidt4, Jan 11, 3:48am
I'd go for a minimal dark blue or black design if I had to choose something with a pattern.There are some beautiful Wedgwood designs by Vera Wang if your budget suits.Smith and Caughey have some lines.

http://uk.wwrd.com/en/restofworld/designers/vera-wang/icat/brand_verawang/

shayne45, Jan 11, 4:13am
Ew blue for breakfast. Trashy.
Try apricot I think you may be surprised.

autumnwinds, Jan 11, 4:19am
Perhaps something more subtle like a soft green fern pattern might go well with his Eggs Benedict!

Stay away from white-on-white for breakfast, especially those raised knobbly patterns, as the noise created against knife and fork can play hell with a hangover, and the glare off white plates is just too much in the morning, I find.

sarahb5, Jan 11, 5:28am
Our crockery is a kind of pale beige/taupe colour but I really can't imagine coloured crockery being enough to put me off my breakfast or any other meal to be honest although I probably wouldn't buy black

bill241, Jan 11, 5:40am
Why is blue trashy at breakfast time! Is it trashy at any other times of the day as well!

shayne45, Jan 11, 5:52am
Oh Please. Of course it is.

bill241, Jan 11, 5:54am
Well I guess its better to know now rather than make an embarrassing gaffe later in life when serving eggs Benedict on the willow pattern

shayne45, Jan 11, 5:57am
Yes. Best you do.

samanya, Jan 11, 6:09am
white, white & more white, for any meal.
I agree with #2.

figjamto, Jan 11, 6:23am
For breakfast I use (if itsfor berries/museli, yogurt etc) litttle cut glass antique dishes that were my late Mother-in-Laws. I love using them, better than being stored away in a cupboard and forgotten.love old antique or op shop crockery, often delicate and subtle patterns. and often at reasonable prices.but if not I dont think you can go past just plain white

radark, Jan 11, 7:04am
i have to say my parents have willow pattern crockery and as a chef i detest eating off it.far too distracting.can't see the food for all that garish blue and white

mokaumoi, Jan 11, 7:07am
Save heartsearching and taste gaffes by eating the yoghurt directly from the container, anddisguise the colours of you china by covering it in toast and serving the omelette onto the toast. The assault on the ears by the loud colours can counteracted by the wearing of earphones.
When your budget allows, purchase white breakfast ware, and whatever you do, do not garnish the omelette with tomatoes - your husband should not be upset by the appearance of red on his plate before he sets off to do his breadwinning duties.

In future before making style decisions,remember toensure you consult the experts in here-we have your best interests at heart always.

bill241, Jan 11, 7:17am
My grandparents have it, it has good memories linked to it for me. I've got a teaset in the pattern. I wouldn't serve anything on patterned china where the visual appeal and presentation was going to be ruined by the plate pattern, but for breakfast or casual meals that is never likely in my house, lol. I'm not one of those people who can come home from cooking all day and enthusiastically cook some more, unfortunately

radark, Jan 11, 7:44am
me either funny how people always assume that because you're as chef you must cook fantastic food at home.mostly i eat out or drink instead lol or just have something easy like scrambled eggs

brummoi, Jan 11, 7:56am
hubby needs to grow some balls and eat sausages straight from the frying pan

maijac007, Jan 11, 8:10am
This is a wind up.right!you can't possibly be serious!

braeholdings, Jan 11, 8:10am
For goodness sake get a life!-

bill241, Jan 11, 8:10am
When I try to think of something nice to eat at home my mind usually goes blank

radark, Jan 11, 8:30am
there is never anything in my fridge to eat

toadfish, Jan 11, 8:38am
Wow. would you really use this for everyday. I'm impressed.

For my everyday. family of 4. gets thrown in the dishwasher. I love plain white.
In the farmers sale I got the "Haven" brand.8 Dinner Plates, 8 side Plates and 8 Bowls.They were 50% off and the whole lot cost me $60.I love them as I had been making do with a mottly selection before that.

terraalba, Jan 11, 8:40am
Very good point you make. Now what kind of crockery would be the quietest to use!

toadfish, Jan 11, 8:43am
I have an 8 piece Royal Albert Old English Country Rose Dinner set, Tea Set and various tureens, and accessories. fell in love with it when I visited Stoke on Trent and watched them make it. Then when working in Kensington every time Army & Navy had a sale I stocked up.Not so in love with it now. (20 years later) But It does looks nice in the china cabinet and Christmas isn't Christmas without eating breakfast off it.