Never underestimate toast!

Page 2 / 3
lythande1, Dec 10, 6:55pm
Soggy! Hmm. One: don't put loads of oil on them, the idea is just to have dry crunchy type toast. Even if it is actual toast. Two: When still warm, don't lay them flat, they sweat and that makes them lose dryness to.

uli, Dec 10, 8:20pm
I think you refer to the hard bread. Yes that keeps for decades in a tupperware box.
Davidt4 referred to the finished product of bread with topping - which goes soggy in 10 minutes flat.

lythande1, Dec 10, 10:21pm
Make the toppings before serving.

sarahb5, Dec 10, 11:53pm
No I was referring to crostini (ie. baguette topped with olive oil, salt and/or herbs and baked) and since I only use mine in the same way as crackers they're not topped and left to go soggy but simply topped/dipped/spread and eaten straightaway.

marcs, Dec 11, 2:54am
The risotto balls are Aranchini balls. They are very nice if made right.

uli, Dec 11, 3:21am
Sounds like you do not entertain - as if I do - I am not doing the "simply topped/dipped/spread and eaten straightaway" thingybit.
Or maybe your entertainments are way different to mine LOL :)

sarahb5, Dec 11, 3:47am
Yes I entertain - often - and I use crostini with my antipasto platters - the idea being that my guests can choose what topping to put on them themselves from a selection.

samanya, Dec 11, 5:43am
Just because it doesn't appeal to you .you & your mate/s have to knock!
Why!

buzz_boy, Dec 17, 9:11am
God what's up with that Uli person!

miri_s, Dec 17, 10:18am
Crostini are delicious Sarahb5! With an array if yummy antipasti to put on top.Certainly a nice alternative to crackers especially if you use a good chewy sourdough.

sarahb5, Dec 17, 10:24pm
She is (or thinks she is) some sort of divine being and the rest of us unworthy mere mortals (or less) - or at least that's the impression I get - totally condescending.

Anyway, does anyone know what the difference is between crostini and bruschetta!I use them in the same way and I realise they're both of Italian origin but I'm probably using a bastardised version of both of them.

shop-a-holic, Dec 17, 10:28pm
Crostini is cut vertically, Bruschetta is cut horizontally.

sarahb5, Dec 17, 10:31pm
Is that the only difference!I must make crostini then because I cut up baguette vertically .

davidt4, Dec 17, 10:38pm
Crostini are usually small rounds of thinly sliced bread, brushed with oil and baked or grilled, served with a topping as a canape.Bruschetta is much larger, a thick slice of bread which has been char-grilled, brushed with olive oil and sometimes garlic, served with a copious topping as a first course and eaten with a knife and fork.

This was my experience of them in Rome, Milan and Palermo.

sarahb5, Dec 17, 10:39pm
You see I have always been under the impression that crostini and bruschetta were both oiled and roasted or grilled .Oh well, doesn't really matter I suppose - I do what I do and we like it!

uli, Dec 17, 11:58pm
Do you think such answers (". Oh well, doesn't really matter I suppose - I do what I do and we like it!." are making people wanting to answer your questions! What did you write about me! ". totally condescending ."

davidt4, Dec 18, 12:29am
Why did you ask the question then!

elliehen, Dec 18, 1:55am
You really don't know!

Have you never asked, say,what time the buses leave and then decided to catch the first one rather than the last .or catch none at all!

nauru, Dec 18, 2:23am
We all make adaptions of recipes to our own taste and that is good whether it is correct or not, it really doesn't matter as long as we find them enjoyable.I too do what you do as we all like it that way.

punkinthefirst, Dec 18, 2:23am
I think it would depend on the olive oil. Supermarket olive oil used to be stale, nasty stuff, but (here, anyway) you can get fresh olive oil in a choice of flavours from the people who grow the olives, and that can be truly delicious. Needs some garlic, though, and needs topping at the last minute.
And this is where home cooks have it all over pro cooks. They don't have to prepare sometimes hundreds of portions of food for three meals a day, 365 days of the year, so the food is usually fresher.

stevee6, Dec 18, 3:36am
Try it before you diss it. Topped with fresh homegrown tomatoes and basil, it's perfection.

uli, Dec 18, 4:49am
stevee6 - I top my homegrown tomatoes with fresh goats cheese (homemade) and basil (homegrown) and lots of olive oil, salt and pepper and of course home picked and cured olives too - then I can easily ditch the offending bread that is first too crisp then after about 5 to 10 minutes too soggy.

I was really only trying to say that a chef that has tv shows, restaurants and books to his name shouldn't bring such trivial stuff as the be-all in case of emergency.

Personally I'd much rather have a side of fermented raw salmon in my fridge when people turn up unexpected, slice a few cucumbers and top the slices with cream cheese or goats cheese (or whatever I have made at the time) and some thin slices of that salmon. Beats his "toast" anytime.

Merry Xmas!

nauru, Dec 19, 2:23am
We all make adaptions to recipes to our own taste and that is good whether it is correct or not, it really doesn't matter as long as we find them enjoyable.I too do what you do as we all like it that way.

cookessentials, Apr 5, 11:57pm
nope, a number of us actually. Probably boredome sets in too or you are being ignored.

norse_westie, Apr 6, 2:28am
I use stale bread like this. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters, brush liberally with olive oil, sprinkle with smoked garlic salt and slow bake till crisp. They keep for a few days - because they are eaten by then. Served with cream cheese and toppings (mostly pastrami and tomato) or hummus for the kids afternoon tea. One even poaches eggs and eats them on these crostini things.

Great way to use stale bread and fill up active kids with healthy food.