Anyone got a failsafe Chocolate cake recipe!

kesa, Sep 26, 12:44am
Im finding it hard to get a good one.

momma1, Sep 26, 12:46am
I always use the one egg chocolate sponge/cake in the edmonds book

urshala, Sep 26, 1:21am
Bloody good choc cake, (from the Trade Me Message Board) not sure who posted this, but it is great!
Mix in order -2c sugar,2 eggs,1c yoghurt( any flavour),3/4c cocoa,200g melted butter,2t baking soda,1 1/2 t vanilla ess, 1/4 t salt, 3 c self raising flour ( or 3c flour and 3 t BP) 1c black coffee. Mix all together , makes 2 round cakes or a roasting tray full , bake at 180*c till knife comes out clean when tested ( about 30 mins).

elliehen, Sep 26, 1:42am
Annabelle and Annabel and pam.delilah - a formidable trio ;)

hooksie60, Sep 26, 7:59am
"I make this once a week makes a small rosat pan size cake

3.5 c flour
1.5 c sugar
3 t/s Baking powder
1.5 c cocoa
1 cup oil
2 cups milk
3 t/s baking soda
1 t/s salt
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of boiling water (added at end)

Put all ingredients (except for the water) in a large bowl mix well to a batter. add boiling water and mix till smooth bake in the over at 160 for 1hr. you can split the mix and make two smaller cakes or make 1 smaller cake and put the rest into muffin tins the choice is completely up to you. this is an excellent cake if you have a large family or just want to impress people. gets moister by the day so stays nice and fresh very simular to mud cake.
Quote hooksie60 (129 ) 2:27 pm, Thu 29 Oct #1"

camper18, Sep 26, 8:35am
I second hooksie60 on the meat dish cake. It's so quick and easy and makes great muffins too.

leogal1, Sep 26, 8:47am
Dana's Chocolate Cake from Sophie Gray (Destitute Gourmet) works a treat.
Very moist cake, freezes well, either process in food processor or put all in
bowl and beat together.
1 & 2/3 c flour
1 & 1/2 t baking soda
1 & 1/2 c sugar
2/3 c cocoa powder
1 t salt
1 & 1/2 c milk
100g butter, melted
2 eggs
1 t vanilla essence
Oven at 180 C, grease a 20cm loose-bottom cake tin and line bottom - it is a very liquid mix and you don't want it to leak! Put all ingredients into
processor and mix until smooth. Pour into tin, bake 50 min to 1 hour, check if done with skewer.

lulu-belle1, Sep 27, 6:26pm
I always use Dana's Chocolate Cake^^^, never fails, keeps nice for quite a few days (but usually is all eaten up before it goes stale). And very easy to make.

rainrain1, Sep 27, 7:15pm
This one always seems to work for me

Chocolate Cake
1/4 lb butter
5ozs sugar
3 eggs
1 cup flour
1tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp creme of tarter
1Tblsp raspberry jam
3Tblsp cocoa
3Tblsp boiling water
Mix water, cocoa and jam to a paste.Cream butter and sugar, add beaten eggs.Sift flour and rising.Lastly add jam and cocoa mixture.
Bake in 2 sponge tins, greased, floured and a square of baking paper on the bottom of tin. 25 to 30 minutes.Test at 20min

pheebs1, Sep 28, 5:46am
i make this one also ever since i found hooksies post its fail safe and i have had soooooooooooo many comments on it and people wanting the recipe
its moist and dark without being sickly and i always get 2 cakes and a loaf size or one cake and 24 muffins
just the best ever and as i am a lazy cook this one is so easy as long as you have an electric beater or enormous forarms

one hint never ever use a springform tin with this one its such a runny mixture and my tin was warped
needless to say cake mix all over me floor walls cupboard etc
sooooooooooo funny and also not funny
ha!

hooksie60, Sep 28, 6:15am
lol pheebs1 yes no sprinform tin lol but definitly worth making

rasin11, Sep 28, 8:33am
This makes great muffins as well. Try sticking a piece of caramellow choc into each muffin before they go in the oven then go on the Dukan diet for a week!

kinna54, Sep 28, 10:01am
evororuas cake still does it for me.
Always moist, have made this for everything from christening cakes, birthdays, easter, and often vary it.
Have made it without the bananas, have used boysenberry flavoured yoghurt instead of plain,, made it as cupcakes in muffin pans, split it like a sponge and filled the centre with choc butter cream, dusted the top with sifted cocoa and icing sugar, endless possibilities!
posting for you:
*Banana Chocolate Yoghurt Cake
2 cups sugar, 200g butter or marg, 3 cups self raising flour, 2 eggs, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup plain yoghurt, 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence, 2 mashed bananas, ½ cup cocoa, ¼ tsp salt.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Turn mixture in to medium roasting dish and bake at 180C for an hour. That’s it.
**Note**, I pour the boiling water over the butter/marg to melt it. Bananas can be replaced with other soft fruit. So there you go.
In my oven it took an hour and 10 minutes.*in a large round springform pan, makes a huge cake.
*kinna note: I actually prefer it without the bananas, made this again at the weekend as cupcakes, split the tops and piped in a choc cream icing, and dusted the tops with sifted icing sugar: sensational! and so easy!
As cupcakes only around 10-12mins to cook.

kvman., Sep 28, 7:46pm
one egg chocolate egg from edmonds book is great, and the recipie card from australia womens weekly recipie library boxed set for devils food cake

griffo4, Sep 29, 9:27pm
Vote from me for Evorotorua's cake l put more bananas in than it says and it is soooo nice and most requested here and you get the bonus of a big cake or 2 smaller ones
l put 7 small bananas in last time as they were going soft and wow so moist and tasty but even if you just put 2 in that cake is the best

indigojo, Sep 29, 9:50pm
I use the recipe posted by hooksie60. My son is allergic to eggs so we replace the eggs with no-egg replacement powder and it still works fine. I tend to use the mix to make a square cake and then 2 doz. muffins.nice and moist and chocolaty.

griffo4, Sep 29, 11:35pm
Here is a good recipe that always works well for me and l use it all the time for birthday cakes
lt is an Alison Holst recipe l found in a kids cook book many years ago

Chocolate Cake
125g butter
1/2 cup golden syrup
2 large eggs
1&1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
2 cups standard flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda

Preheat oven to 180C
line 23cm round cake tin with baking paper
Melt butter, add golden syrup
ln another bowl put eggs, milk and sugar in a large bowl and beat will
Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda into the bowl
Beat to mix
Add melted butter and syrup and beat again
Pour into tin
Bake 40 minutes or until cooked my oven takes about 50 minutes
Can be cut in half and filled with cream and iced with chocolate icing

evorotorua, Oct 2, 5:02pm
Hi griffo4 and kinna. Glad you are enjoying the cake. Seven bananas! That's a lot. Thinking about it, you could leave out the yogurt or some of the butter using that much soft fruit. What a great idea. Thanks for telling us about it. Also kinna, I have left out the cocoa a couple of times and iced with chocolate icing. Still great. My daughter made cupcakes over the weekend using it,(or muffins!) and iced them all pretty. Apparently they were great and I love that it takes such a short time to cook them as cupcakes. She had friends over for a 21st so it was fun to have singles and didn't need plates either.

245sam, Sep 28, 10:25am
IMO there are very few that don't love a good chocolate cake so bumped for more recipes to be added or just so that the above recipes don't get lost.:-))

sarahb5, Sep 28, 10:58am
I usually make Dana's chocolate cake as above but this week, for my son's birthday, we had coca cola chocolate fudge cake - it was delicious - rich, moist, fudgey but not heavy and not as sweet as I feared it might be.