Tamarillos

Page 2 / 3
snapit, Jun 8, 10:57am
They make nice jam and the gold ones combined with dried apricot is also a nice jam. make yummy Chutney and sauce as well. Grill or fry with bacon as you would normal tomato. Nice stewed and mixed with stewed apple for crumbles and sponge tops also to have with cereal or in pies. Stew tamarillos and sweeten a little cool and drain. Make a red jelly using less water then when jelly is dissolved make up the amount with juice and add the drained fruit and allow to set. Bottled spiced tamarillos nice with cold meats

wron, Jun 15, 5:45am
Keeping alive up

wron, Jul 5, 4:59am
Hi there ace10 Just been looking at your recipe for chutney - I'm going to make a batch tomorrow. You used a heck of a lot of tamarillos! Were they fairly small ones! I know they come in a wide variety of sizes from absolute monsters to teeny weeny ones. I've found several recipes - most call for 24 but don't specify size. Cheers, Bruce

pam.delilah, Jul 5, 5:18am
for fruitluva Upside Down Tamarillo Cake

4 tamarillos, sliced in half
1/3 cup caster sugar
1-2 Tablespoons honey
125g unsalted butter
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
½ cup self raising flour
¼ cup almond meal
custard and fresh tamarillos to serve
METHOD

Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 25 x 8 cm (1 litre capacity) loaf tin.

Place skinnedtamarillos in a saucepan along with the caster sugar, 1 ½ cups water, and honey. Slowly bring to the boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Remove the tamarillos and reserve the poaching liquid.

Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time. Fold through sifted flour and almond meal.

Place tamarillos in the base of prepared tin. Pour over the batter and bake for 45-50 minutes or until cooked.

While cakes are cooking, return the poaching liquid to the heat, simmer for 10 minutes or until syrupy.

Turn cake out and serve with syrup, custard and fresh tamarillos.

pam.delilah, Jul 5, 5:19am
Tamarillo Muffins Tamarillo Muffins
1/2 cup sugar, 2 c flour, 2½ tsp baking powder, 1 tsp grd ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 egg, lightly beaten, ½ c milk, 100g butter (melted), 3 peeled/chopped tamarillos eg 1x1 cm cubed), 1 extra tamarillo, peeled and thinly sliced. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Lightly grease muffin pans. Place the sugar and sifted flour, baking powder and spices in a bowl. Combine the egg, milk and melted butter. Add the liquid ingredients and chopped tamarillos to the dry ingredients and combine quickly, until just moistened. Spoon mix into muffin pans until almost full. Top with a thin slice of the extra tamarillo. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Recommendation: reheat gently in microwave and serve with warm custard & a dollop of ice-cream for pudding!

pam.delilah, Jul 22, 12:58am
hi fruitluva2 Tamarillos are around and a bit pricey but you only need a few for the cake. To make them go further usesliced tart apples and tamarillos,about 1/4-1/2 amount ,apples to 1/2 amount tamarillos . Have you looked in your local supermarket or have a veg market where you are!

uli, Aug 4, 5:02am
They are expensive this year because of the heavy frosts. Even in Northland many orchards have been wiped out this winter. Luckily we do not get frosts and can harvest a bucket full every week at present.

uli, Aug 4, 5:03am
I use them in mixed salads instead of tomatoes in winter and it tastes superb - if they are properly ripe . Beware of the firm ones with bright green stem in the supermarkets. They will need another 2 weeks at least to ripen - and may never get fully ripe because they were harvested too early .

uli, Aug 11, 2:35am
Tamarillo Smoothie 4 tamarillos,
1/2 cup milk (chilled),
1/2 cup yoghurt or 2 scoops of ice-cream,
2 Tsp honey,
1 banana.

Peel the tamarillos by pouring over boiling water.Let stand for 3-4 mins, drain and refresh with cold water.Remove the skins.Puree tamarillos in a blender or food processor, add in the banana and process again.Add remaining ingredients and serve.

uli, Aug 17, 10:51pm
just got another bucket full delivered to the kitchen. What else could I make!

karma07, Aug 21, 10:52am
Tamarillo's Yummy I have them on toast with a sprinkle of sugar for breakfast.

cookessentials, Aug 24, 6:02am
bumping up for tamarillo ideas

bev00, Aug 24, 8:24am
tamarillos in store now

wineo, Aug 24, 9:49am
Does anyone have a recipie for a sweet tamarillo sauce that could be used/stored in fridge for a few months.

elliehen, Aug 24, 10:52am
But they're $14.95 a kilo down here - consequence of the snow and frost.However, three large ones cost me $2.95 and I'll make them stretch, keeping an eye out for a price reduction at the greengrocer as consumers revolt against the high price and the fruit starts to get over-ripe ;)

spot20, Aug 24, 9:20pm
Love love love tams! warm stewed with thick yogurt, icecream or custard! delish

pam.delilah, Aug 24, 9:47pm
peel, slice and use as a sandwich filling, Sprinkle over raw sugar if you love a sweet touch. Sooooooo good and tasty

cookessentials, Aug 24, 10:29pm
My tamarillo shortcake is delicious.will see if Ican find it as I am sure I have posted it here once before.

leebee35, Aug 25, 9:30am
I have a cook book that is from Malborough and it's all about Tamarillo's.I hunt it out and see if I can send you a link and or type a couple of fab recipes.

bev00, Aug 25, 10:43am
Economise: Mix with apple to make go further~
Tamarillo and apple tart

Serves 4-6

3-4 tamarillos

2 apples

1 Tbsp sugar

1 cup water

Shortcake pastry

120g butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 tsp vanilla essence

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 Tbsp icing sugar

1/ Preheat the oven to 190[Degree].

2/ Boil 2 cups of water in an electric jug.

3/ Place the tamarillos in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Leave the fruit to soak for 5 minutes.

4/ Measure 1 cup of water and 2 Tbsp of sugar into a saucepan, stir and bring to the boil.

5/ Wash the apples and cut into quarters. Remove the core and cut into thin slices.

6/ Add the sliced apple to the boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes until the apple is soft.

7/ Remove the saucepan from the heat and drain the liquid.

8/ Drain the water from the tamarillos and use a paring knife to remove the skin and discard. Cut each tamarillo in quarters, then dice the flesh.

9/ For the pastry, soften the butter in a medium-size bowl, add the sugar and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is creamed.

10/ Add the egg and vanilla essence. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth.

11/ Sift the flour and baking powder into the creamed mixture and stir until all ingredients are combined. The mixture will be soft.

12/ Grease a 20x20cm square or a round dish.

13/ Spread 2/3 of the shortcake mixture into the dish. Press the mixture over the base of the dish with clean, floured hands.

14/ Spoon the stewed apple on top of the shortcake, then spread the chopped tamarillos over the apple. (You may wish to sprinkle 1-2 tsp sugar over the tamarillos.)

15/ Take teaspoons of the remaining shortcake mixture and roll each spoonful into a ball with your floured hands. Flatten the circle of dough in your hand, then place the circles of dough over the top of the fruit. The shortcake circles will spread a little, so leave small spaces between them. Alternatively you can make a lattice top by placing strips of rolled pastry across the top of the apple/tamarillo mixture.

16/ Bake at 190[Degree] for 20-25 minutes. The shortcake should be lightly browned.

17/ Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with plain yoghurt, custard, or milk.

elliehen, Aug 25, 10:52am
But they're $14.95 a kilo down here - consequence of the snow and frost.However, three large ones cost me $2.95 and I'll make them stretch, keeping an eye out for a price reduction at the greengrocer as consumers revolt against the high price and the fruit starts to get over-ripe ;)

otterhound, Aug 26, 10:29pm
Tams seem to be in short supply this year (meaning bl**dy expensive!).Even our local tamarillo orchard has none for sale.Another nearby orchard seems to have lost all it's trees - they are all dying from what looks like some sort of disease.This time of year they're usually almost a staple diet for me!Have only had about a dozen so far cos they cost so much from the shops.

27kaytee, Aug 27, 7:17am
I feel soooo wasteful - we have had a bumper crop of tamarillos from one large tree this year. Have made two lots of chutney - delicious! Will make more of an effort next year to use them all. Have made a note of some of the recipes in this thread and have also got a Tamarillo Cookbook.

Some rotted on the ground and in a bucket and a lucky possum got quite a few. And yes I do know how expensive they were this year - up to $19.95 per/kg in our local supermarket.

lookingfor, Sep 12, 11:52am
I can't stand eating raw tamarillos My mum eats them on top of ice cream, yuck! I like tamarillio chutneyl though, I must track down a jar, or make some

245sam, Jun 7, 3:48am
anabelles, try doing a search for 'tamarillo' at http://trademecooks.net.nz/search.php - you'll find a recipe for an Upside Down Tamarillo Cake, Shortcake, and recipes for Desserts and Muffins.:-))