Recipe for fruit shortcake please. My mum used to

unknowndisorder, May 6, 11:46pm
bumping for megan slice hunter :)

alfrescoart, May 9, 8:38am
make the most yummy slice, it was like strawberry or apple shortcake but with a spicy sultana filling.I remember her cooking up the sultana's first and letting them go cold.I have looked everywhere but can't find anything like it.If any one out there has the recipe or can tell me a cook book it is in I would really appreciate it.

lisapisa2, May 9, 8:53pm
Hi I make this called Spicey Slice it sounds similar & is yummy!
1.Boil together & set aside: 225g sultanas, 1/2 C water, 1/2 C sugar, 1 t butter, 1 t flour, 1 t mixed spice, 1 t cinnamon & 1 t cocoa.
2.Cream together: 150 g butter, 1 C sugar
3.Add to the creamed mixture & mix to a soft dough: 2 T milk, 2 C flour, 1 t baking powder
4.Press half the dough into a prepared tin.
5.Spread sultana mixture over dough
6.Crumble remaining dough on top. Bake for 30 mins at 180 deg C until golden. Cool then slice. Enjoy!

alfrescoart, May 9, 11:28pm
thanks so much lisapisa, I will try this.I'm guessing the capital T is for tablespoon and the small t is for teaspoon.

lisapisa2, May 10, 12:35am
Yes it is

alfrescoart, May 10, 8:38am
make the most yummy slice, it was like strawberry or apple shortcake but with a spicy sultana filling.I remember her cooking up the sultana's first and letting them go cold.I have looked everywhere but can't find anything like it.If any one out there has the recipe or can tell me a cook book it is in I would really appreciate it.

alfrescoart, May 10, 11:28pm
thanks so much lisapisa, I will try this.I'm guessing the capital T is for tablespoon and the small t is for teaspoon.

kinna54, May 12, 3:05am
Do you mean like what I always called a fly cemetery! It is in the old Edmonds book:Fruit squares.
If you need the recipe reply andI will try to scan for you. (My old Edmonds book has seen better days but I won't part with it.)

elliehen, May 12, 4:14am
This one!

Edmonds Fruit Square
175gr pastry
50gr butter
1 grated apple
50gr seeded raisins, sultanas, currants & br sugar
rind & juice of 1 lemon
1tsp cinnamon & spice
Essence of almond
Melt butter, add remainder of ingredients, leave until quite cold. Roll 1/2 pastry, place on tray, spread fruit mixture over.
Roll other 1/2 & place on top. Pinch edges together & prick pastry well
Bake 30 - 40 mins @ 200
Cut into pieces while hot & sprinkle with icing sugar when cold.

gardie, May 12, 4:41am
This is a fabulous recipe - I think I found it in a Little Treasures magazine years ago.Now, I always dice up a couple of apples and cook them up with the sultanas.The slice is not quite so rich but a little more fruity and moist.It is lovely warm with custard and/or cream.

june126, May 13, 12:47am
I have a old but good recipe, wonder if this is what you are after.
Sultana Slice
Shortcake mix:
4oz (125g) butter,1 tsp baking powder
4oz (125g) sugar ,,1 egg
8oz (250g) flour
Cream butter and sugar, add egg, then sifted flour and baking powder.Halve mixture, press 1/2 into swiss roll tin, roll out other half on baking paper, ready to put over filling (alternatively this 1/2 can be crumbled over filling if you want.)
Filling
1c sultana's,1tsp mixed spice
1/2 c sugar ,2Tbsp cornflour
2 oz (50g) butter ,1 1/2 cups hot water
Place all ingredients into a saucepan and on a med heat, bring to the boil, mixture will thicken (it pays to watch mix and stir to prevent burning). Allow to cool.Pour over base and cover with other half.Bake in a mod (180C) oven for about 20mins till top is a nice pale golden colour.Sprinkle with icing sugar when cool.Enjoy!

medicmum, Sep 20, 11:54pm
I'm so pleased I found this site! I've lost my Little Treasures copy, and loved the recipes that were in that issue.