Tarte Tatin - Cookware Help Needed

fluffythings, May 7, 8:13pm
I want to try cooking apple tarte tatin - I think I will need a 20cm frying pan but I want to know what is the best pan to use that can go in the oven.A quality non stick or stainless steel (both will need metal handles)?Any particular brand that is better than others?? Thanks

pickles7, May 7, 9:00pm
You can use an ordinary shallow cake pan, [ an older sponge tin ] It won't taste any better made in any other pan. Don't use a loose bottomed pan. I caramelise the apples before putting them in the well buttered pan, put the puff pastry on top and bake in a hot oven. I turn it out on removing it from the oven. I probably cook five in a year, not worth a special pan for.

fluffythings, May 7, 9:34pm
Thanks pickles7

lindylambchops1, May 8, 1:34am
Excellent idea!I have always wanted to make one too.*searches cupboards for an old sponge tin*Thanks for that.

harrislucinda, May 8, 2:12am
and I sawthechef tuckthepastrydownin aroundthe applesbeforeputtingin theoven

marlin9, May 8, 3:04am
I did one 9for the first time) after seeing it done in Master class.What he did and what the recipe on website says is two different things - but hey it worked great and will make another one next week as well..

fluffythings, May 8, 8:13pm
I want to try cooking apple tarte tatin - I think I will need a 20cm frying pan but I want to know what is the best pan to use that can go in the oven.A quality non stick or stainless steel (both will need metal handles)!Any particular brand that is better than others! Thanks

pickles7, May 8, 9:00pm
You can use an ordinary shallow cake pan, [ an older sponge tin ] It won't taste any better made in any other pan. Don't use a loose bottomed pan. I caramelise the apples before putting them in the well buttered pan, put the puff pastry on top and bake in a hot oven. I turn it out on removing it from the oven. I probably cook five in a year, not worth a special pan for.

marlin9, May 9, 3:04am
I did one 9for the first time) after seeing it done in Master class.What he did and what the recipe on website says is two different things - but hey it worked great and will make another one next week as well.

fluffythings, May 9, 7:55am
I'm really enthusiastic now - I will definitely try this.I forgot that I had a cast iron frying pan so I am going to use that and see what happens.I've read a few tarte tatin recipes and it seems one of the tricks is not to stir the caramelised mixture before placing your apples/pears into it.Yes harrislucinda - I saw them tucking the pastry down as well - it looks easy enough and looks rather impressive as well :)

cookessentials, May 10, 3:03am
I use a ceramic tarte tatin dish.

macwood2, May 10, 5:50am
When I make it I always use 2 layers of pastry.Works fabuously.

buzzy110, May 10, 6:15am
A very logical and practical solution. No need to invest in another, hardly used piece of equipment which just clutters up your valuable cupboard space. I've never bothered to make one, but I can see that any handy sized dish will do the job. It is, after all just a tart that is cooked upside down so that a caramel sauce can be included.

fluffythings, May 10, 7:55am
I'm really enthusiastic now - I will definitely try this.I forgot that I had a cast iron frying pan so I am going to use that and see what happens.I've read a few tarte tatin recipes and it seems one of the tricks is not to stir the caramelised mixture before placing your apples/pears into it.Yes harrislucinda - I saw them tucking the pastry down as well - it looks easy enough and looks rather impressive as well :)

kuaka, May 10, 9:15am
I suspect that the only reason we see the tv chefs using small frying pans, is that the handle makes it easier to invert the cooked tart

sarahj1, May 11, 12:47am
Always use my big castiron frypan when making Tarte Tatin - never sticks - great results everytime - love cast iron!

cookessentials, May 11, 2:09am
The pans will do the job, however, you get a far better enhanced flavour with the traditional Burgundy clay tarte tatin dishes. I not only use mine for tarte tatin, but I make a asavoury one using leeks as well. it certainly does not stay unused in the cupboard...one just needs to try different things in it.

buzzy110, May 11, 6:15am
A very logical and practical solution. No need to invest in another, hardly used piece of equipment which just clutters up your valuable cupboard space. I've never bothered to make one, but I can see that any handy sized dish will do the job. It is, after all just a tart that is cooked upside down so that a caramel sauce can be included.

cookessentials, May 12, 2:09am
The pans will do the job, however, you get a far better enhanced flavour with the traditional Burgundy clay tarte tatin dishes. I not only use mine for tarte tatin, but I make a asavoury one using leeks as well. it certainly does not stay unused in the cupboard.one just needs to try different things in it. I also use it to saute and brown items. i love the fact that it does not scratch when cutting into the tarts that I make.

ethans, May 13, 3:58am
My DIL made this for us. to shorten the time in the oven she made the syrup in the frypan and added the apples and par cooked them, then transferred it all to a warmed pyrex pie plate, covered with pastry and in to the oven for 20-25mins. Oh so yum. I guess you could use maple syrup and golden syrup mixture to make even more yummy.