Colouring for icing

amie.mac, Apr 18, 10:30am
I have recently gotten into cake making but am struggling to get really bright coloured fondant icing.I have tried using food colouring but this just ends up making a big sticky mess and the colours and quite pale.I have been told that coloured pastes work better but haven't been able to source any in Invercargill

jessie981, Apr 18, 10:58am
i have only used cochineal & fine. Never heard of pastes. Cookessentials or elliehen may be able to help.

lilyfield, Apr 18, 11:04am
I find the powders best- from kitchen supply wholesalers or cake decorating shops.

cookessentials, Apr 18, 6:51pm
The only thing you want to use for colouring your fondant is gel colouring. Wilton make it and depending on the colour, you are looking at between $6-$8 for a container of it. It is VERY concentrated and the best thing to use is a bamboo or small skewer or toothpick to gradually add a little at a time to get the strength of colour you want. Being a gel colour, it wont dilute your fondant/icings. What colours are you after? A great book to get ( well, a soft cover magazine) is the Wilton fondant one which gives you all the tips and tricks on working with fondant.

amie.mac, Apr 18, 8:19pm
Thanks cookessentials, I am looking for a bright blue for a thomas the tank engine cake, where abouts would I get the Wilton magazine from?

cookessentials, Apr 18, 9:57pm
You can more than likely get both on trademe. I know there is someone who sells colourings etc.