Jam - why does it never set?

Page 2 / 2
pickles7, Apr 8, 10:44am
*********jam testing
sugar thermometer test for jam.
Boil until 111 C or 222 f. put jam into hot jars, put the lids on while hot.

********* test for pectin
1 tsp of juice, 3 tsp of methylated spirits. shake gently leave 1 minute, . The juice will clot firmly if there is enough pectin. If it doesn't it may pay to add some.
King.jam setting.mix.pectin base.Handy to have in your pantry.

I usually use equal amount of sugar to the well cooked fruit, and use a sugar thermometer. Jam must be boiled hard. I always use a preserving pan as well. The wide top allows for a good boil, without the jam boiling over, and a better evaporation.

olwen, Apr 8, 11:01am
It's pretty expensive, probably cheaper to add pectin.I used it for a recipe for capsicum jam from the Chelsea website and it set well.

lythande1, Apr 8, 8:01pm
Add juice of 1 lemon to it and cook itlonger. Test every now and then by putting a spoonful on a plate, waiting for it to cool and tipping it. Too runny! Cook longer.

willyow, Apr 8, 9:44pm
Lemons are atrap. If you are using Meyer lemons for the pectin - youwillprobably fail, Meyer is not a true lemon and lacks Pectin - you needreal lemonsuch as Yen Ben

willyow, Apr 8, 9:53pm
I should have said 'lemon juice' - there is pectin in the skin and pips.

pamellie, Apr 8, 11:01pm
Buy a jam thermometer, they aren't too expensive and they take away a lot of the guess work.

lythande1, Apr 9, 2:14am
All I do is add 50-50 fruit and jam and the juice of one lemon.
Boil, simmer and test a teaspoon by putting it on a saucer, when it cools, tip it, if it runs, simmer further till it's reduced down more. never use a lid, always an uncovered pot.

wildflower, Apr 9, 3:43am
That's a good idea, makes it more affordable.

I used my last lot of grapefruit to make Harrislucinda's recipe for grapefruit spread this morning instead of making marmalade again, yum:)Didn't have to worry about setting either, it's like lemon honey but with no eggs and a lot less butter.

makespacenow, Apr 9, 7:35pm
I never had that isdue even when makng sugar free jams. Check the fruit for pectin cintent you may need to add pectin stock or powder. Search for the pectin stock recipe I posted it few weeks ago on here.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 9, 7:38pm
If you want a surefire jam, make black currant. The stuff sets as it drips out of the jelly bag, well before its even seen a speck of sugar.