Maderia Cake - Edmonds Cookbook

toxious, Mar 23, 3:29am
Hiya, I made this recipe today.The recipe said to bake for 30 mins, but It was still uncooked in the middle so I put it in for another 10 mins, still uncooked, another 10 mins, still uncooked, another 10 mins....cooked.Now the outside is rockhard :( lol man I suck.Has anyone else made this cake and found the same problem?

dbab, Mar 23, 3:33am
Did you use the right sized tin?

toxious, Mar 23, 4:21am
it asked for a 20cm tin, which I used.do you think I should try it in a 23cm tin?

jessie981, Mar 23, 5:05am
I use 21cm & fine. What year is your book. May be different ingredients to mine/ Cooking time is @ 180.

Aunt Daisy recipe (haven't made)
4 eggs, their weight in butter, sugar & flour
Grated lemon rind (opt)
Cream butter & sugar, add eggs one at a time & beat well
Add 1/4 flour & mix well. Add egg & flour alternativelt until all is used
Add flavouring & 1/2tps b/powder
This caketakes about 90 mins to bake & is very moist & keeps wonderfully.

toxious, Mar 23, 6:56am
Mine was different from that.it was 250g butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 4 eggs and I used rind off two oranges.Cream the butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat well between each egg. add rind.sift in flour and baking powder.Bake at 180 for 30 mins in a 20 cm tin.I've just got home from Dinner at my dad's and the middle wasn't cooked and the outside was so hard and like a biscuit!!!Epic fail! lol but they all enjoyed the flavours.Dad added cream to his and ate it like a dessert instead of a cake

kimkat1, Mar 23, 5:40pm
I made the edmonds one the other week and it was friggin awful.. will try jessies recipe above this time.....

cookessentials, Mar 23, 8:59pm
Not a fan of edmonds recipes.

This is the one I use, although, usually omit the candied peel on the top.
There is a whole thread on Madeira cake but i decided not to bump it up as the usual nasties are in there and were out to stire, so here it my recipe.

250g butter
1 cup caster sugar
finely zested rind of one lemon and one orange
1/2 tsp cinnamon
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp mixed,candied peel -diced, or one slice candied orange.Cream butter with sugar,rinds and cinnamon. When pale and creamy, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flours with salt. Fold half the flour into creamed mixture and when thoroughly mixed, add the milk. Fold in remaining flour. Turn into a greased and lined deep 20cm round cake tin. Bake in a pre-heated, moderately slow oven (160C) for 45 minutes. Sprinkle top of cake with peel or press on the glace orange slice and bake a further 40-45 mins or until cake shrinks away from the sides of the tin. Cool on wire rack.

kiwibubbles, Mar 23, 9:07pm
i have found that quite a lot of cooking timews in the edmonds cook book are not correct even though i follow the recipe and instructions correctly.

toxious, Mar 23, 9:56pm
for such an iconic kiwi book, the tried and trusted Edmonds Cookbook - it's such a shame that they have it so wrong!

thanks for your advice and recipe's - I won't give up, I will try again :)

jessie981, Mar 24, 12:43am
I ahd crossed out cooking time in Edmonds book & put 35 mins so must have been ok.

toxious, Mar 24, 3:29am
Hiya, I made this recipe today.The recipe said to bake for 30 mins, but It was still uncooked in the middle so I put it in for another 10 mins, still uncooked, another 10 mins, still uncooked, another 10 mins.cooked.Now the outside is rockhard :( lol man I suck.Has anyone else made this cake and found the same problem!

dbab, Mar 24, 3:33am
Did you use the right sized tin!

toxious, Mar 24, 4:21am
it asked for a 20cm tin, which I used.do you think I should try it in a 23cm tin!

jessie981, Mar 24, 5:05am
I use 21cm & fine. What year is your book. May be different ingredients to mine/ Cooking time is @ 180.

Aunt Daisy recipe (haven't made)
4 eggs, their weight in butter, sugar & flour
Grated lemon rind (opt)
Cream butter & sugar, add eggs one at a time & beat well
Add 1/4 flour & mix well. Add egg & flour alternativelt until all is used
Add flavouring & 1/2tps b/powder
This caketakes about 90 mins to bake & is very moist & keeps wonderfully.

toxious, Mar 24, 6:56am
Mine was different from that.it was 250g butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 4 eggs and I used rind off two oranges.Cream the butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat well between each egg. add rind.sift in flour and baking powder.Bake at 180 for 30 mins in a 20 cm tin.I've just got home from Dinner at my dad's and the middle wasn't cooked and the outside was so hard and like a biscuit!Epic fail! lol but they all enjoyed the flavours.Dad added cream to his and ate it like a dessert instead of a cake

kimkat1, Mar 24, 5:40pm
I made the edmonds one the other week and it was friggin awful. will try jessies recipe above this time.

toxious, Mar 24, 9:56pm
for such an iconic kiwi book, the tried and trusted Edmonds Cookbook - it's such a shame that they have it so wrong!

thanks for your advice and recipe's - I won't give up, I will try again :)