Sugar free biscuit or cake recipes

frances1266, Nov 30, 8:24pm
Does anyone have any good recipes for these using stevia pref.
Not keen on artificial sweeteners.
TIA

uli, Nov 30, 9:56pm
In what form have you got your stevia?
Fresh, powder or liquid?

I can also post how to replace sugar with stevia - so you can use you "normal" recipes and experiment changing them to stevia.

Make sure you know how artificial sweeteners (including stevia) work on your body. I trust you can google this - otherwise please ask if interested.

frances1266, Dec 1, 1:27am
I have the powdered stevia plus the fresh plant growing on my windowsill.Recipes would be a help thanks, probably for the powdered stevia as that is the easiest to use.
TIA

uli, Dec 1, 1:40am
Here are general guidelines to follow when replacing using stevia for cooking:

1 cup of sugar = 1 tsp of powdered stevia extract
1 tablespoon of sugar = 1/4 teaspoon of powdered stevia extract
1 teaspoon of sugar = a pinch or 1/16 of a teaspoon of powdered stevia extract

These stevia equivalents were taken from The Stevia Cookbook by Dr. Ray Sahelian

uli, Dec 1, 1:45am
Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups flour,
1/4 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon baking powder,
1 egg,
1/2 teaspoon stevia powder (use less and try the dough, then add more if needed!)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence,
1 cup butter,
1 cup chocolate chips.

In a bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.

Mix together the egg, stevia, and vanilla - then add the butter, continuing to beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Drop teaspoons of the batter on a baking tray (you can use baking paper for ease if liked). Space them about 5cm apart as they will flatten out. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes @180 degrees C until the cookies are done and golden brown.

uli, Dec 1, 1:55am
If you like to adapt your own recipes you need to "bulk up" your small amount of stevia - as sugar provides quite a bit of bulk in any given recipe. You can replace 1 cup of sugar with Stevia plus 1/3 cup of bulk.

That can be yogurt, apple sauce, fruit juice, fruit puree or egg whites.

As an example: If you want to use apple sauce as your bulking agent you would use 1 tsp. stevia plus 1/3 cup apple sauce to equal 1 cup of sugar.

If you’re using a recipe like banana bread, you could use 1 tsp. stevia plus an extra 1/3 cup banana puree to account for a cup of sugar in the recipe.

Armed with this "conversion" you can go ahead and convert any recipe you find.

uli, Dec 1, 2:06am
If you want to use your fresh stevia leaves you can of course just use half or a whole fresh or dried leaf in a cup of tea. It will sweeten your tea, as the hot water draws the sweetness out of it.

For baking you can do the same and just boil a small quantity with water and use the liquid in your baking or sauces.

I have also used the last of the leaves in autumn before the plant goes dormant to make an alcoholic extract. For this you harvest mature stevia leaves and loosely pack them into a jar. Cover the leaves with a very high alcohol vodka - in NZ you will only get 40% vodka, higher would be good, but 40% will work. Let the jar sit for a few weeks then strain the mixture.

You have to try out how strong the mix is before using it, so start with a small amount and add more to your baking if it is not sweet enough.

If you are worried about the alcohol content you can add a cup of water, and cook the whole lot for about 30 minutes. This will allow the alcohol to evaporate. This version will not keep as well and needs to be refrigerated.

Good luck - and it would be nice if you report back how your experiments go :)

frances1266, Dec 1, 6:59am
Thanks, will print this off

bidz, Dec 7, 11:36pm
Very useful info, so bumping this back up.

earthangel4, Dec 8, 2:21am
Uli,
Thanks so much,have saved this to my favourites.
I only use pure fruit juice,also mashed banana,would mashed banana be a third cup as well,I use a whole banana,

earthangel4, Dec 8, 2:22am
sorry I didnt read it all,was so excited to see this thread

elliehen, Jan 11, 2:23am
From an Anytime search of 'Sugar Free' :)

doug57, Jan 11, 2:45am
ah elliehen..maybe you could post other recipes that you found there and can recommend? Lots of people have dial up and it takes all day to find things.
Thanks Uli for taking the time to post 'recipes' which is what was requested.

talia, Nov 27, 8:40pm
Which brand of stevia has the least aftertaste? I've tried cooking with stevia but even with vanilla essence or cocoa it can't disguise the aftertaste.

Have tried radiance stevia sweet powder, stevita liquid, nirvana stevia liquid and red8 stevia powder.