Need pizza base that stays soft doesn't cook hard?

pricilla, May 10, 3:54am
Has anyone got a quick easy pizza base recipe that stays soft when cooked & doesn't have oil in it. Any help appreciated Miss 4 wants pizza for tea. Thanks.

lilyfield, May 10, 4:16am
make a scone dough

sarahb5, May 10, 4:17am
Edmonds recipe is the one I use - don't roll it too thin or cook it for too long though

sarahb5, May 10, 4:19am

aj.2., May 10, 5:03am
When you make a scone dough , great for pizza, mix it with a knife, and don't mix it more than you have too.
Lay it on a floured sheet of wax paper, push it out by hand , then a light roll into shape, don't handle it more than you have too.

motorbo, May 10, 5:23am
it will only go hard if you roll it too thin and over cook it - make a fatter base

sarahb5, May 10, 5:36am
Scone dough just doesn't taste right for pizza base - chuck it all in the bread maker to make the dough then just roll it out

pricilla, May 10, 5:40am
Thanks so much everyone for your help. Much appreciated

aj.2., May 10, 5:46am
Nah , you just adding to the washing up, plus we like our home made pizza, lots of toppings, that way the base does not dry out.
But OP, place a metal tray close to the bottom of oven and heat the oven at about 200 %, when hot place the pizza in, keep an eye on it, then lift the tray up into the middle of oven to cook the top,.

sarahb5, May 10, 6:43am
Why am I adding to the washing up? What do you mix scone base in? Loads of toppings but not too much sauce - love my bases - better than shop bought/made

nauru, May 10, 9:43am
I go with sarah on this one, scone dough doesn't do it for me either. Making the dough in the BM is so easy. Alison Holst has a quick dough recipe which I like to use too, just mix and use straight away, no proving. I like to use pesto or hummus on the base sometimes too. Makes a change to the usual tomato base.

sarahb5, May 10, 10:52am
Good idea with the pesto - I always add herbs and garlic to my dough - so good!

lythande1, May 10, 7:38pm
It is soft if you don't over cook it in the first place. scones. no.

motorbo, May 10, 7:53pm
best pizza dough is the one made with yogurt, so easy to make you don't need a bread maker and yes NO NO NO to scone dough that's not a pizza

sarahb5, May 10, 8:35pm
Care to share your recipe?

pricilla, May 11, 12:26am
Yes anyone wanting to share their recipes & topping ideas please? I'm interested in the yoghurt one? Also would like base recipes with oil also?
Tips etc. Thanks everyone.

sarahb5, May 11, 12:30am
http://www.kidspot.co.nz/recipes-for+4032+7+Dinner+Basic-pizza-dough.htm

Top with whatever you like - I like mine spicy so jalapeños, chilli flakes, smoked chicken and chorizo are must-haves for me

nauru, May 11, 7:10am
Love hummus over base and topped with smoked salmon and goats cheese and sprinkling of dill. Roasted eggplant dip over base topped with mixed roasted veges & garlic, sprinkling of mixed herbs & feta cheese. Pesto over base, topped with tomato, sliced mushrooms and grated cheese

duckmoon, May 11, 8:07am
i would cook at a lower temp for longer.

the heat and cooking time will be one of the things which make the crust crisp

sarahb5, Aug 9, 8:44am
This is why I like making our own bases - I like mine thin and crispy, hubby likes his thicker, etc. everyone gets to choose what they like