Pizza Pie

martyn143, Jun 9, 2:23am
Have you guys ever tried a pizza pie? I want to make one but not sure how it will taste

kirmag, Jun 9, 3:48am
What do you mean by pizza pie? Like pizza fillings encased in pastry like a pie?

kiwilion, Jun 9, 3:58am
Yes they are delicious, and you can vary your toppings. I saw Jamie make an American pizza pie on the weekend, it looked amazing, and so fast and economical.-

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/deep-pan-pizza/#kRj4OZ8BTacKwrit.97

kirmag, Jun 9, 4:00am
That's just a pizza.

kaddiew, Jun 9, 4:18am
Isn't it just a regular pizza with a whole lot of crust?

martyn143, Jun 9, 4:26am
na its like making a pie (like normal) but with pizza fillings

kiwilion, Jun 9, 4:27am
OP, here is the same recipe but it has been adjusted.-

http://www.aglugofoil.com/2013/09/american-hot-pizza-pie-jamie-oliver.html

I am definitely going to be making mine like this in future.
Often I have used ready made pastry but I think the above is better, and the dough more versatile, being enough for 4.

kirmag, Jun 9, 4:46am
But that's just a pizza again.

When we were being lazy once OP, we did use a sheet of flakey puff pastry as the base for our pizza. Didn't cover it over with pastry or anything tho.

gilligee, Jun 9, 5:14am
Looks like a normal pizza to me too.

hestia, Jun 9, 5:31am
Calzone? Chicago deep dish pizza?

nauru, Jun 9, 8:35am
I like to use Lebanese bread for the base of my pizzas, we like a thinner crust. Sometimes I just put the topping on half of the base then fold it over and cook it in my sandwich press or fry pan. Makes a change to your usual open pizza and it's so quick and easy too.

kiwilion, Jun 9, 9:34am
That's a nice idea.

samanya, Jun 10, 12:05am
I saw this idea today, in a free mag that I got from a pharmacy . they were suggesting it as a healthy snack for kids. Now that I know that you rate it . will give it a go.

sampa, Jun 10, 12:25am
Closest I think I've come is making calzone (think folded over pizza base prior to cooking so all 'toppings' become the contents). They are delicious and make transporting them (for packed lunches etc) much simpler. Or do you mean pizza topping type ingredients in a pastry case? If so, give it go, no real rules when it comes to what everyone prefers as a pie filling. :)

nauru, Jun 7, 7:02pm
My daughter makes them for her boys, they love them with salad on the side. They like to do the topping themselves and Mum cooks them.
I sometimes I like to use hummus & pesto base instead of the usual tomato base and then top with whatever we fancy either folded or an open pizza.