Broccoli Slaw

jubilant, Jul 23, 12:42am
Can anyone tell me what the ingredients are in the supermarket bags of broccoli slaw please. I would like to make from scratch.

rainrain1, Jul 24, 5:35am
How interesting, that sounds good, I have never come across a broccoli slaw. I wonder if you google will you find a recipe? I suppose you could make one up yourself. Broccoli, toasted nuts, grated carrot, chopped spring onion, cooked bacon bits, a nice lemon dressing

uli, Jul 24, 6:05am
If there is a bag around your broccoli slaw it will have to list the ingredients. Easy!

mjhdeal, Jul 24, 5:05pm
That's it!
P.S. I have looked at those bags of slaw, and am pretty sure the broccoli component is sliced stems, if that helps.

mjhdeal, Jul 25, 2:13am
Found one at New World: it's just julienned broccoli stems, red cabbage, and carrot.

Assume you don;t want the recipe for the lemonnaise dressing that comes with it thoug . Modified starch(1442), colour (150d) &c. yummy! ha ha.

Could make your own lemon mayo dressing if you wanted? Annabel Langbein's recipe is dead easy if you have a stick blender: http://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/speedy-mayo/440/

I guess just add lemon juice/zest to make it lemony?

rainrain1, Jul 25, 2:20am
You wouldn't cook the broccoli for a slaw would you, it would be raw wouldn't it? For a salad, then give the broccoli bits a blanch for two or three minutes, which gives it a beautiful colour

sampa, Jul 25, 3:01am
Is it the Krispkut slaw? If so the ingredients are all listed here -

http://krispkut.co.nz/krispkut-products/slaws/super-slaw.aspx

If you're going to make this then a tip is to peel the stem and trim off any 'woody' bits before slicing into salad sized pieces . I quite often use the stems treated like that in broccoli dishes - makes them go a bit further and there's nothing wrong with the flavour or texture once they're peeled. Plus extra greens/fiber in the diet. :)

mjhdeal, Jul 25, 3:05am
Oh yes, **good advice** about taking off the woody bits! I do that too. I think the stems of plants are meant to have some magic elixir of life in them anyway. Can't remember what. I never read anything properly these days .

uli, Jul 25, 5:34am
Your reading might improve when you eat enough broccoli slaw!

nauru, Jul 25, 7:55am
I quite often add grated broccoli stems and beetroot to my coleslaw with a homemade honey mustard dressing, it rings the changes. Had no idea that you could buy it that way as I never buy bagged salads from the SM.

wendalls, Jul 25, 8:18am
I bought one with the brocolli, red cabbage and carrot as a stir fry. Was way too much carrot though. It had a sauce to go with it and we all hated that too. Should have known. It was honey soy. Family not keen on cooked carrot so should have done my own mixture. Just trying to save time and do a healthy meal. You'd have thought I dished up poison. !

maximus44, Jul 26, 6:43am
I saw it today at New World - didn't look as if there was much, if any, broccoli in it.

nauru, Jul 26, 7:23am
I think it's only grated broccoli stems and not the head.

rovertniloc, Jul 27, 9:39pm
Google Gordon Ramsay and look for brocolli salad. Have made it many times and its yummy.

rovertniloc, Jul 27, 9:42pm
Further to above message, its in the 'Gordon Ramsays Ultimate Home Cookery' book.

jia5, Feb 9, 1:41am
Sweet and Tangy Broccoli Slaw
Yield: 6-8 servings

12 ounces broccoli stalk, grated, or sliced very thinly into 2-3" matchsticks, about 5 cups worth
1 large carrot grated, or sliced very thinly into 2" matchsticks
1/2 small red onion, sliced as thinly as possible
3/4 cup sweet dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Dressing Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the salad ingredients and stir well to coat. Refrigerate at least one hour before serving. Enjoy!