"English" Bread Pudding Recipe please?

worldlee, Apr 23, 10:47pm
My mum used to make this in a roasting pan and cut it into squares. I know milk, stale bread, cinammon/mixed spice & dried fruit went into it but don't have a proper recipe. Anyone poms out there know what it could be please? My cousin and I would be so grateful.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 12:09am
I do have one at home which is done in a pie dish and served either hot or cold, from memory it has various spices, sultans and or raisins, marmalad etc.

indy95, Apr 24, 12:16am
I asked for this recipe a few weeks ago, worldlee, and found one when I checked in Google, but my copy seems to have temporarilydisappeared. Perhaps if you have a look at Google you will find what you want.

elliehen, Apr 24, 12:17am
It's often in old cookery books as 'Queen Pudding'. Maybe do a Google?

elliehen, Apr 24, 12:25am
I put 'Queen Pudding' into the search at left and this came up, along with a lot of others. I was reminded there that Queen Pudding has meringue on top of the bread pudding.

indy95, Apr 24, 12:54am
I think the recipe that wordlee is talking about is a more solid, spicy type of pudding than the traditional type of bread and butter pudding we are used to. It is closer to the consistency of a fruit cake and as wordlee said can be cut into pieces like a cake.

I wonder if someone like 245sam or maybe doree36 could help with this ?

cookessentials, Apr 24, 1:31am
YEP, SOUNDS LIKE MINE

worldlee, Apr 24, 1:36am
You're right indy, it isn't a bread "and butter" pudding but is definitely a cake consistency, nice eaten cold. Not sure what a queen pudding is. Thank you guys, I will google it again. (I did try that but it came up with a marmalade filling which I don't remember)Maybe I'll even cook that one to see if it is similar. Thanks all for replying - I'll keep checking in case anyone else comes up with a recipe.

indy95, Apr 24, 1:44am
I have found this recipe by Delia Smith :

Old Fashioned Bread Pudding

225g brown or white bread, crusts removed.
275 ml milk
50g butter melted
75g soft brown or white sugar
2 tsps mixed spice
1 egg, beaten
175g mixed dried fruit ( currants, raisins, sultanas, candied peel )
Grated rind of half an orange
Grated nutmeg

Break bread into pieces and soak in the milk for about 30 mins or until it is well soaked. Add butter, sugar, spice and egg and mix well, then stir in mixed fruit and orange rind.

Spread the mixture in a greased baking dish and sprinkle over some nutmeg ( freshly grated if possible ).

Bake at 180C for about 1 1/4 hours. Serve hot or cold.

worldlee, Apr 24, 2:01am
By george you've got it indy! ! ! Ha! Yes, that sounds very much like the 'old'recipe. I will definitely be trying this one out. Thank you!

doug57, Apr 24, 2:06am
Spiced bread Pudding [my mums old recipe]

4 thick slices stale bread
3 heaped T sugar
3 heaped T SR flour
3-4oz mixed fruit [including mixed peel]
3oz butter
1/4 tspn bicarb soda
7 T milk
1/ tspn salt
2 rounded tspns mixed spice

Break up and soak bread 10 mins. Squeeze very dry.
place in bowl and break up small, sieve flour, salt and spice. add fruit, sugar and stir well.
Melt butter and add together with bicarb soda dissolved in milk.
Bake 50-55mins 400F in greased dish.

sarahb5, Apr 24, 6:16am
That's bread and butter pudding - I'm pretty sure I have a bread pudding recipe somewhere that my mum gave me (her's is the best) but I don't make it anymore because it really does need stale bread and bread today doesn't go stale - it just goes mouldy.

harrislucinda, Apr 24, 7:00am
insteadofbreadtryfruitbunsandtreatthesameway

bullock123, Apr 24, 7:35am
x1
I have a recipe somewhere with suet , bread, milk, fruit and mixed spice i cant remember what else . It turns out like a spicy fruit loaf. I will hunt it out if you want it.
Yes i am English LOL

karenz, Mar 1, 12:40pm
My aunt used to spread raspberry jam onto the bread as well as the butter. I'm pretty sure you could make it with day old bread or even two day old, it goes hard pretty quickly before it goes mouldy.